Newbe purchased #14612 this week.

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
Catalina 22 Panama City, FL
Thanks for info on yardage. Ultra leather deal fell through when seller got shipping quote.

Mine is a wing keel so bunks probably need to be about 21".

Thanks again for info.

Lane

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
I found sellers on eBay had Ultraleather as low as $23 per yard, vs almost $60 per yard on other 'marine' suppliers websites, just FYI.

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
I am ordering a Hyde Genoa this week. Mine is just about ready to rip from rot. Excited about having two beautiful sails on Hoosier Daddy.

Judy is recommending a 120 or 125 Genoa. What do you guys think? This is for cruising around Panama City, FL with no racing anticipated.

Also I made the mistake of only getting one reefing point on the main sail I ordered from Judy. How much should it cost me to have a local loft install a second reef?

Lane

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Lane, the factory Jib was 110 and is often called 'Working Jib'. C22 Class Racing Rules allow for a 120 that they call a 'Class Jib', that seems to be a pretty popular option. Don runs one of those and I got one from Hyde as well. A 130 or 150 is available too which would be called Genoas, but the 120 should be your 'go to' headsail. Great choice.
Adding a second reef point shouldn't be very expensive, maybe $125? I can snap some pics of my Hyde Main and tell you the measurements of where my second reef is if you like.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I am ordering a Hyde Genoa this week. Mine is just about ready to rip from rot. Excited about having two beautiful sails on Hoosier Daddy.

Judy is recommending a 120 or 125 Genoa. What do you guys think? This is for cruising around Panama City, FL with no racing anticipated.

Also I made the mistake of only getting one reefing point on the main sail I ordered from Judy. How much should it cost me to have a local loft install a second reef?

Lane
98% of the people here (most of whom are more experienced than I) will adamantly tell you that you don't need a second reef. Now, while "need" is a tricky word (you don't "NEED" a mainsail at all, for instance), I definitely like having two reefs. Perhaps even more importantly, so does the Admiral. The only caveat being that the rigging is a little cumbersome, given the limited room to run reef lines back to the cockpit when there are already halyard winches beside the pop top. Thus, our forward reef lines remain at the mast, the aft ones are on the boom. This is never a problem since there are always two of us to do the job, and we almost always heave to to reef.

Sorry. None of that answers your question! Just supporting your decision. ;)

As for the genny: I'll bet a dollar your existing jib is a 110. Does the clew extend aft of the foretriangle? If that is the case, my personal recommendation would be a 150. Anytime the air is too light for the 110, it's the 150 (or the 180) we go to, and there's no sensation of a missing link between the two.

Obviously Dr. Judy is a goddess among sailmakers, so I REALLY hate to disagree with her! I'd love to hear her reasoning for such a small genny, maybe I'd learn something. Keep us posted??

Sep 30, 2013
Oh! Wait. It's your one and only headsail that's rotting? If so, I withdraw the 150 suggestion. If you have only one headsail, a 120 would be a better choice.

Sorry, I'm easily confused. :biggrin:

Jul 23, 2013
1981 Catalina 22 #10330 Bayview, ID
I agree with Gene, Lane, depending on the typical conditions where you sail. I have no idea what it's like around Panama City. Where I sail, for example, it's usually light winds during the summer months. I get excited when it's over 10 mph. I never even raised the 110 this last year. I used the 150 every time unless I had the spinnaker up. If you can only afford one sail, go with something in the middle between a 110 and a 150 with a bias in favor of the conditions you're likely to sail in. If it's 10-15 mph winds, for example, go with a 120. If it's 5-10 mph winds, go for the 135 (maybe with a reef in it too, just in case).

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
Thanks for the input. I have a CDI roller furler so maybe I'll go with the 125. Had six of us on Hoosier Daddy yesterday. It was cold out there! Docked at Boyou Joe's and had an early dinner. Back on the boat tomorrow measuring for headsail and tracking down mast light problem.

Lane

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
Judy got back with me today regarding my measurements. Based on my measurements I had a 145 Genoa on the boat. I knew it was a lot of headsail. We struggled with it in high winds. Hard to handle and a lot of heal on the boat. Although it was pretty to see billowed way out there on a downwind run.

In the above picture (taken for Hyde order) you can see the multiple patches. The UV cover stitching was almost completely gone. Once I had the sail down I found several seams separated. It was time to give it a peaceful retirement!

Judy is recommending a 120 so I am going with that. I look forward to having less sail area up front. I think my wife will like it better also.

Lane

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
If you look at my photo with my name and information, this is a ~120 jib that I use exclusively. I have two of them, one set up with a Harken furler, and the other is an old school hanked-on 120,(my favorite).

Don

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
Still waiting on my new Genoa. Since its a 120 I am thinking about repairing my 150 and keeping it around for those light wind days. I suppose it will be a good selling point when the day comes to upgrade to the live aboard! My wife is liking the sailing so much that we have visited the Beneteau and Catalina dealers looking at the new inventory. Just dreaming.

I have been working on my trailer this week. I really want to get Hoosier Daddy up to my hangar so I can paint the bottom and make cushions. I finally found the right color of ultraleather at a great price. Its sitting here in my office. Only 12 yards but I am not going to make every cushion that came with the boat. Some I see as just getting in the way. We use the area under the cockpit to store so much. I don't want to block access.

We did some cleaning out last weekend and I found this old picture from the mid 90's. In the background you can see the Formosa I got when I was twelve years old. I still have that boat. It was the family cruiser until three years ago when I got a Hoby Holder. Now the Cat 22 and in the near future a 38-40 foot live aboard. Its been a 48 year journey so far.

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Lane,

Unless you're a racer, you'll LOVE a smaller headsail. So much easier to handle, and on your crew. I especially like the safety of the improved forward visibility also.

Just curious if you guys are going to make the North Gulf Coast Cruise out of Ft Walton Beach in May?

Don

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
We would love to make the cruise. However, I don't have vacation that week so it may be tough. If I get my trailer working perhaps we can make a three day portion. It is definitely on our radar. Ideally we would like to sail over and not use the trailer!

Lane

Sep 30, 2013
Cool family pic. How awesome is it, having a wife who shares this passion, who shares the liveaboard dream? I hope we cross wakes with you somewhere far, far south of here some day. :rolleyes:

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
image.jpeg
I finished repairing/modifying my new trailer this week. I also ordered the bow and stern mast crutches from Catalina Direct.

Could one of you guys please measure how far apart your trailer bunks are? I currently have a 3'6" spread on mine. I have them 22" high from keel support. Trying to set the trailer up to minimize adjustments in the cold water.

I still have some corrosion and hardware repair to be done on the risers.
Lane

Jul 23, 2013
1981 Catalina 22 #10330 Bayview, ID
Nice trailer. It'll be a trick to space the risers and form fit the bunks to the hull. As you know, the Trail Rite trailers only use four risers so the middle of the bunks conform themselves to the shape. I suggest you start there. Get the four corners set and then adjust the middle risers to take up the slack and some of the weight in the middle. My trailer is not a Trail Rite so my measurements would be helpful to you since they're different from the Trail Rite measurements you're likely to get from others. Unfortunately, my boat is on the trailer right now so I can't get an accurate straight measurement. But I can say that the front is much narrower than the rear and the middle wider than the others. There's also 15 degrees or so of twist in the bunks from front to rear. It will also help with launching and retrieval if you can get the position of the bow as low as possible to minimize the angle difference between the boat and the bunks when on a ramp. Otherwise, the bow can rise as you pull out and make it hard to get the bow in the V block. Good luck. I look forward to seeing how it turns out.

Oct 17, 2013
Catalina 22 Plymouth MA
Seeing that trailer makes me wonder....I purchased #7575 in November and it sits on a trailer with rollers instead of bunks. I have no oil canning or visible depressions near the rollers and the keel is supporting the hull as well. Should I be concerned?