Mast Raising Systems

Feb 11, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake Jacomo
Ok. I've been working on improving my gin pole, at least where it hugs the mast.
I'm building a gin pole today. I'll be taking a few pics as I go to possibly do a tutorial post at some point. I think my method of attachment might be of interest to you Drinkmilk.

May 19, 2014
Catalina 22 #13555 Lake Winnebago, Oshkosh, WI
I'm building a gin pole today. I'll be taking a few pics as I go to possibly do a tutorial post at some point. I think my method of attachment might be of interest to you Drinkmilk.
Thanks. I'll look for your updates.

Oct 4, 2010
76 Catalina 22 Three Mile Harbor, East Hampton, NY
Is there a standard length utilized for the gin pole.

T_Cat

Aug 8, 2014
Catalina 22 1987 New Design. 14133 "LadyHawke" Modesto CA
Is there a standard length utilized for the gin pole.
I cut mine 6 in shorter than the distance from its position on the mast base to the fore stay. That way I had room to attach the fore stay while the gin pole was holding the mast up.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
I must use a pole to raise mine as well. C250 tall masts are just to heavy to walk it up like I used to do with my Clipper Marine 26 mast. Chief

Feb 11, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake Jacomo
OK, I built my gin pole over the weekend. I utilized a 3x2 PVC saddle Tee for the mast attachment point. A 2 1/2x2 would have been a better fit, but this allowed me space for padding, and I just happened to have a scrap piece of 3 1//2" foam rubber pipe insulation that fits perfect.

Attachments

May 19, 2014
Very clever, Jacomo. Have you had a chance to test it yet?

Feb 11, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake Jacomo
Have not tested it yet but hope to this weekend. I got the idea for the saddle tee from this blog that I found in a google search http://cjandeai.blogspot.com/2007_11_01_archive.html
The blog mentions that he had to bore out a 1 1/2" bushing to make the aluminum pole fit. I decided to bush mine down to 1" because a 1 3/8" galvanized chain link fence top rail has the same OD as 1" pvc and fits very snug in the bushing.

Here is all of the components that I used. Many of the items I already had so I considered them zero cost.

3"x 2" pvc saddle tee $11
600 lbs boat trailer winch (ratchets in both directions) $19
2"x 1 1/2" pvc bushing $0
1 1/2" x 1" pvc bushing $0
5/16" x 1 1/2" x 2" U bolt w/lock nuts $0
5/16" x 2" hex bolt w/ lock nut (not pictured) $.28
1/4" x 2" eye bolt w/lock nut $0
1 1/2" swivel eye snatch block $6
1 3/8" x 10' chain link fence top rail $9

I cut the pole to 92" and pressed the bushings on one end. The winch is mounted with the U bolt and the hex bolt. I cut the swivel eye off from the snatch block and replaced it with the eye bolt which runs through the end of the pole. I glued the two bushing together with pvc glue but didn't glue them into the tee for two reasons. 1, the tee will be easier to attach to the mast without the pole attached. 2, a short piece of 2" pvc stuck in the tee makes a great mid mast support at the tabernacle when trailing.

May 19, 2014
Nice plan. I like the idea of using the T part as a mast crutch in the tabernacle. I think I just stuffed a bunch of throwables up there. Lol.

Btw, the fence bar looks sturdy, but I can't imagine it's too light a piece to wield. Do you secure it down below or leave it on the trailer/truck when not using it?

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Nice post Jacomo Sailor !
I like both the center support and the gin pole use of the saddle Ts.

I still see storing it aboard as an issue.
I'm planning to make a metal pole out of multiple sections of square tubing that would slide inside each other and lock with clip pins. The ultimate setup would have them all nest inside each other, as opposed to being an alternate female male female type connection. That way the whole thing would slide together. Replacing the winch with 2 blocks would also make it smaller without compromising it's use.

Maybe the whole thing could slide in the centre mast support and fit a bag.

I'd use square tubing because if they are the same size, square is better for the loads involved. It's slightly heavier for the same size, but it's stronger.

Hmmm..

May 19, 2014
I've seen some captains clip their spinnaker poles to the mast front. Might that be an option for you guys? I can't imagine those 2" poles would change airflow that much, but I could be wrong.

Feb 11, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake Jacomo
The fence rail is only 17 ga and it only weights a little over 5 1/2 lbs. The winch with cable weighs 5 lbs and the rest of the parts might add up to a pound, so total weight is less than 12 lbs.

Storage aboard isn't an issue for me as my boat will sit on a mooring ball and the dry sail lot during the winter, so the once the mast is up the only time I'll need to drop it is for maintenance or upgrades.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Yeah, for those that leave the boat rigged all season, it's not an issue.

Those saddle tees are more or less non existent in Canada. I suspect it's due to plumbing code.

I'm making a quick 2x4 gin pole so i can raise the mast today for the first time.
While looking at options at the plumbing supply wholesaler I got a few other ideas fleshed out in my head.
Currently it's: Design an plastic attachment that clamps around the mast with a rubberized catch and a hinge. Square or round tube connected to that, that collapses into itself. With a block + cleat system instead of a winch. It won't be ultra low priced though.
I'm going to ask a buddy who is an engineer and also owns a machine shop, to see how light i can go for the tube and still handle the stresses, mainly to save on cost without losing function.

Don's idea of storing the pole on the lifelines is interesting. Maybe the ultimate system would be attachments that allow a spinnaker pole to double as a gin pole. And then store the pole as normal.

Not sure if I'll have time to "play" with the ideas before winter though. At this point I just want the boat on the water, so iIll use a basic wood gin pole and the trailer winch running over my new anchor roller.

May 19, 2014
Don, I've seen that pole stow setup as well. Pretty smart way to go.

I hear yah, Leeward. It's nice to play with better designs, but it's even nicer to be sailing. :)

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I think I'm gonna build myself a simple little gin pole and experiment with it. My wife and I have a perfectly good system that doesn't require one, but last time out, she injured her ankle and couldn't help lower the mast. Which, along with this thread, got me thinking.

Can anyone recommend a good winch to use? Or a recommended minimum capacity? I guess a brake winch, similar to a keel winch, is preferable over a ratcheting type?

w4swk

Mar 23, 2015
1991 Catalina 22 Wing Keel 15202 Nocona
Hi Gene
I purchased my winch from Northern Tool...it ratchets both ways and was around 20 dollars. While building your gin pole, keep in mind that there are hardly any "bending" loads on the pole. Most of the stress will be in compression removing the need for the pole to be "built like a bridge"! The basic function of the gin pole is to hold 2 opposing lines at an acute angle. Mine is simple, lightweight and functions perfectly. After using it twice, I can have the mast up in about 2 1/2 minutes...and never break a sweat!:)

Good Luck
Ken

P.S. Make sure you paint the gin pole to match that good looking new trailer!:):):):)

I think I'm gonna build myself a simple little gin pole and experiment with it. My wife and I have a perfectly good system that doesn't require one, but last time out, she injured her ankle and couldn't help lower the mast. Which, along with this thread, got me thinking.

Can anyone recommend a good winch to use? Or a recommended minimum capacity? I guess a brake winch, similar to a keel winch, is preferable over a ratcheting type?

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
I recently picked up a factory mast raising system from a MacGregor-26. I'm not much of a MacGregor fan, but I do like their factory mast raising system. They basically uses the same winch we use on our swing keel C-22's. Now agreed, these winches aren't cheap, but like our swing keel winches, it has an automatic brake built into it. It ratchets up, and just turn the opposite way to go down, no lever to flip. And with the winches self braking system, it just adds to the safety factor. I got the whole set-up for way less than the cost of the winch alone at a marine consignment shop here in San Diego. It doesn't use the jib halyard either to raise the mast, and the mast is about 28' long, so it should have no problems with a C-22 mast. This will be used on my "new Design" C-22, so stand by for a report later this fall.

Don

Attachments

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Marine consignment shop ? Sigh.. you guys get all the good shops. Unless you want a 16ft Aluminum fishing boat here, you are out of luck. Either the shipping cost kills you or it takes a couple weeks to get common sailboat stuff. There is a great local shop but they just can't stock sailboat parts like the bigger shops do.
You are lucky bastiges I tell ya.

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Marine consignment shop ? Sigh.. you guys get all the good shops. Unless you want a 16ft Aluminum fishing boat here, you are out of luck. Either the shipping cost kills you or it takes a couple weeks to get common sailboat stuff. There is a great local shop but they just can't stock sailboat parts like the bigger shops do.
You are lucky bastiges I tell ya.
Yeah, it's a pretty neat place. I had a bunch of old odds and ends that I've collected over the years from my boats, and turned them over to the guy. He charges 50%, but I didn't have to waste a couple weekends at the swap meet, or waiting for Craigslist no-shows, and over the past couple months my cut was over $500.! :eek: So it was worth it to me, and gives me a reason to stop in and see what's new on the shelves, and that's when I spotted the mast raising system. They really didn't know exactly what they had. :D

Don