Windlass Hunter 33

Aug 21, 2015
Hunter 33 Hong Kong
@woofetc Can you take a picture of the motor on the inside of the boat? It would help in identifying the windlass. You could find the serial and model number on the motor.

Looking at the top (the Gypsy) it has the looks of a few years ago. I note that the chain has been wearing on the front guard plate of the windlass (the 2 grooves between the chains). Perhaps a previous owner did not secure the chain to a cleat and just left the windlass to hold the boat in position. Or they used the windlass to drag the boat over to where the anchor was set. The chain coming up and over the bow roller is not at the correct angle and it drags across the guard plate.

This could be a factor in why the windlass jams.
Thanks for the reply. As far as I know the motor/ gearbox unit can be used on multiple windlasses so don’t think it would uniquely identify the windlass. It seems this gearbox motor is used on V1/V2/V3 windlasses. Anyway, photo attached. The two “grooves” on the base are cast into the base. You would think with the numbers on hand it would be easy to identify what it is..

Attachments

Last edited:
May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
I touched base with Lewmar a few years back about the windlass on my 2012 Hunter e33. I could not tell from the labels if it was a V2 or V3 and images from their website did not help me. They responded very quickly. I was told that my windlass is a Lewmar V3 Modified specially made for Hunter. So I would try contacting them and see if they can help out. Other than redesigning the front of the boat I am afraid you do have to manually deal with the chain so it doesn't jam as it is brought in.

1590763454329.jpeg1590763894664.jpeg

Aug 21, 2015
Hunter 33 Hong Kong
I touched base with Lewmar a few years back about the windlass on my 2012 Hunter e33. I could not tell from the labels if it was a V2 or V3 and images from their website did not help me. They responded very quickly. I was told that my windlass is a Lewmar V3 Modified specially made for Hunter. So I would try contacting them and see if they can help out. Other than redesigning the front of the boat I am afraid you do have to manually deal with the chain so it doesn't jam as it is brought in.

View attachment 179931View attachment 179932
Thanks! - wish our anchor locker looked as good as yours...

I just received this response from Lewmar:

“ You caused lots of head scratching and a little confusion but I do have an answer for you, your windlass is indeed a V2/3 and the parts schematic is correct and you can use that to order spares.

The reason for the confusion is that you can see your windlass has been heavily modified to allow the chain to slide down the chute into the bow area, the normal windlass has a vertical fall into the anchor locker directly beneath the windlass.

We will never know who modified it but it has been interesting to see.”

It appears the base is different to the V2/V3 - if the modified base was produced by Lewmar for Hunter they don’t seem to know about it! Surely enough of these were produced that it should be common knowledge?

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Full disclosure in that Defender did my splice of 3 strand 5/8" rope to G4 5/16" chain.
I'd be surprised if a windlass to 5/8 and 5/16. My Lewmar 5/16 chain on;y take 1/2 or 9/16/. You CAN buy different gypsies, though.