Wind vane steering Hunter Passage 42

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I would think that a major broach in a heavy following sea can do a lot of damage.

Usually the boat gets prepared for the conditions. Securing the windvane. Deploying the drogue. Stowing all sails. Battening down the hatches and retreating into the boat to weather the storm.

It is when the conditions are beyond the abilities of the electrical autopilot yet not gale force 10 that a windvane is in it’s element.

Feb 21, 2014
Hunter Passage 42 St Andrews Scotland
I would think that a major broach in a heavy following sea can do a lot of damage.

Usually the boat gets prepared for the conditions. Securing the windvane. Deploying the drogue. Stowing all sails. Battening down the hatches and retreating into the boat to weather the storm.

It is when the conditions are beyond the abilities of the electrical autopilot yet not gale force 10 that a windvane is in it’s element.
Yes, quite

Feb 21, 2014
I can't speak to the quality of Hydrovane products, but it looks like there should be no issues fitting one to your transom. View attachment 174987
Casper.

Swim Step / Sugar Scoop Archives - Page 44 of 63 - Hydrovane

-Will (Dragonfly)
Wow!!!! I have never seen that picture of Casper in the mud. That must have been the day the gates would not shut and the water drained out? If you have other pictures from that that day I would love to see them. Yes, the Hydrovane looks just the ticket if I am to have ropes to the cockpit.

Attachments

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
20180730_102826.jpg

20180730_103309.jpg

Here you go Bill. These are the only two pictures I have. You should have heard that trawler ahead of you as she listed over. There must have been a lot of glass objects aboard. The sound of glass and china, chandeliers, shattering for over an hour as each object, apparently, slid off shelves and crashed on the cabin sole.

I felt really bad for the owner.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Feb 21, 2014
View attachment 174991
View attachment 174992
Here you go Bill. These are the only two pictures I have. You should have heard that trawler ahead of you as she listed over. There must have been a lot of glass objects aboard. The sound of glass and china, chandeliers, shattering for over an hour as each object, apparently, slid off shelves and crashed on the cabin sole.

I felt really bad for the owner.

-Will (Dragonfly)
Thanks Will for the pictures..I know the owner of the trawler yacht, he is a collector of fine whiskies and a lot of the glass breaking was his glasses but, also some of his vintage whisky. He bought that vessel off UK customs. They had tracked it all the way from the Caribbean by satellite and warship before apprehending it off the North East of Scotland full of Cannabis. One customs officer was crushed between the two vessels and killed. The trawler yacht was auctioned off about 6-7 years later and he bought it for pennies. Keep in touch Will, thanks. Bill

Feb 21, 2014

I had not intended putting this on the forum but, this 3 minute video gives people a good idea of the Hunter Legend Passage 42

Feb 21, 2014
Wind Vane Self Steering Gear for Sailboats
Just came across this article. Thought you might be interested. Especially if you have any thoughts of building your own wind vane.

-Will (Dragonfly)
Thanks Will. Just making my way into Abu Dhabi at this time, back of midnight here. Ill take a look and read through the article tomorrow. I have found a maker of windvanes in Poland called Windy, €1400 for a new one I am to contact him when home. I would have liked an independent rudder and paddle vain like the Sailomat 3040 so I could lock the wheel off.
Thanks for now

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Thanks Will. Just making my way into Abu Dhabi at this time, back of midnight here. Ill take a look and read through the article tomorrow. I have found a maker of windvanes in Poland called Windy, €1400 for a new one I am to contact him when home. I would have liked an independent rudder and paddle vain like the Sailomat 3040 so I could lock the wheel off.
Thanks for now
Hi there...
This may be an unpopular reply, but it’s my honest answer.
I upgraded my autopilot to the newer Evolution series last year. It is the third pilot on my 49.
It is like being on railway tracks. The wind steering is fantastic.
So, put on a wind generator, and upgrade your pilot. Both jobs are very easy, and 100% predicable. Plus, the wind generator will keep the fridge running, and less time on the generator .