Winch Grease

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
dangit! I am getting to rebuild a serviced winch, and I need to install it for sailing tomorrow. I cannot find my lewmar grease anywhere! I do not have time to order some, as we will be leaving in the morning to be out of town next week, on the boat. What can I use instead of my lewmar grease?

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
What can I use instead of my lewmar grease?
Just use whatever type grease you've got on hand, and a very light coat. Makes it less of a mess when you get your Lewmar stuff back in hand.

Aug 3, 2012
Okie dokie. I am pretty good about servicing them because I like to have them run smoothly.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
For the winches that go click, click, click when you turn them, I normally use Lucas Marine Grease. When I am short on that, Lucas Red n Tacky has also worked well. Even plain old wheel bearing grease from the auto parts store is not a terrible choice.

If you have one of the high priced winches that is quiet & works on cam bearings, then you only want to use to exact grease that the manufacturer recommends. Otherwise, they just slip in both directions. These things are pretty rare, but I have seen a few. I don't remember the brands.

Oct 22, 2014
Pearson P303 #221 RockPort Maine
You might try some STP Oil Treatment! It doesn't wear off like grease in the heat. I use STP 50/50 even in my lower unit 5HP outboard motor. After 5 years I opened my winch and all are set to go. Of course, That's me! $1.60

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
What do you mean getting to rebuild a serviced winch? Hearing the click-click-click is a good sign. It wont unload.. If you have to grease for immediate use, then use anything and fix it later. Do not grease the pawls. I have no problem with loud clicks...oil the pawls which probably won’t last long. It’s not like this thing is turning at 5000 rpm.. Click click click...

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2012
Yes. I know not to grease pawls. By “serviced,” I mean disassembled, cleaned, and springs, pawls, and gears checked for wear. Yes. It is a “clicker.” It is in good shape. It is only a 10 year old winch, so it is a relative baby. I just cannot find my lewmar grease! I will stop and get some Lucas Marine or some Green Grease on the way to the marina.

I had a winch on a boat that had sat for years outside. The winch turned like it had been greased with silly putty. I opened it up, and the the grease had hardened with the dirt so badly, I soaked it in gas for a bit before I could brush it off and see metal. In all that cleaning, I lost one of the springs, so I bought a lewmar rebuild kit.
Thanks!

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
You probably know- but DON'T grease the pawls and springs- just use oil there
OK, maybe I am missing something here. If so, please fill me in.

I usually coat the pawls & springs with a thin coat of grease for corrosion protection. I just smear it on with my fingers or a rag. I don't leave globs of it behind. If the boat is only going to be used in warm climates & the springs are strong, I use grease to lubricate the pawl. If the boat may go up north at some point, then I use oil on the pawl. If the boat may go to extremely cold climates, then I use dry lube with Teflon or graphite. The graphite can be a mess, so I avoid it when practical. In the lakes of Arizona, I use high temperature grease that has a drop off rating above 400F

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
If the boat is only going to be used in warm climates & the springs are strong, I use grease to lubricate the pawl. If the boat may go up north at some point, then I use oil on the pawl.
That is a seriously flawed practice. Winch manufacturers provide specific guidance in this regard and the reason you don’t grease the pawls is captured in Andrew’s observation that his winch behaved like it was filled with silly putty. As grease ages it picks up debris and hardens. What you have done is to place a potential glue on your pawl and when a pawl becomes glued into its pocket your loaded-up winch doesn’t ratchet lock. The crew release the winch handle and the winch either immediately free-wheels or potentially later releases without warning. It is the reason we remove our winch handles from a working winch and NEVER grease the pawls.