Widgeon foredeck hatch addition

Aug 18, 2018
O'Day Widgeon Home
Hello all!

I am looking to add a hatch to the foredeck of my 1974 Widgeon. I was wondering if there was any experience with this modification? For the life of me I can't seem to find any record online of such a thing.

With that, I was wondering what the inboard side of the foredeck looks like? I am considering a large-ish hatch to span the centerline of the boat. I was thinking a hatch large enough to get a battery for a trolling motor, sailbag, small cooler, etc through. I would like to know if there are any structural members, etc underneath before I cut anything open.

As it stands, the boat does not have hatches on the bulkheads near the mast, so I wouldn't hate adding those too.

Any thoughts, comments, concerns are appreciated!

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
There is basically just empty space under the deck. I'll post the dimensions of the factory optional access hatches below. The one concern I would have with adding a hatch on the top of the deck is the crown (upward curve of the deck). I found a picture of what the compartment under the deck look like (not my boat, I found pictures on-line). Also found a pic of the Lexan covers that one owner made for the openings.

Attachments

• Helpful
Jun 11, 2018
O'day Widgeon Lower Stanchfield
IIRC, there are some molded in ribs inside to stiffen the deck. You should have a deck plate near the bow. If you open this up you can get a mirror inside to have a look. I think some of the boats came with a larger hatch on the deck. It was offset from the centerline to avoid the crown problem.

Attachments

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
1970 not 1974, deck layout is first clue, 1970 was last year for the original design, 1971-83 had molded in seats and a forward deck, It appears that your boat is Class# 1608 or 1808? 1608 would be a 1969 model (mine was Class#1791 and built in 1969) 1808 would be a 1970, probably early 1970. Attached picture show a 1974 model. Your boat does look pretty nice, after your refurb!

Attachments