Why don't more boaters use polypropylene or polyester dinghy painters?

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
It really does handle like a polyester double braid. I have been using it for 12 years or so and the stuff holds up.
Home Depot sells it in 100' bundles 1/2 in. x 100 ft. Assorted Color Diamond Braid Polypropylene Heavy Duty Rope
Diamond braid poly.jpg
I don't think this is true double braid as the inner core is not braided.

I use it for work rope to haul stuff (satellite dishes, cinder blocks, etc.) up onto roofs, and as the pull line on my extension ladders. Much better hand feel and knot holding than regular poly triple braid.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Chip, that version of polypropylene rope doesn't have any UV resistance, it will disintegrate in a season in the sun, and become very weak prior to that. It isn't a double braid. Just basic rope for all the kind of things you mention, but when it fades, throw it away, it is weakened.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Chip, that version of polypropylene rope doesn't have any UV resistance, it will disintegrate in a season in the sun, and become very weak prior to that. It isn't a double braid. Just basic rope for all the kind of things you mention, but when it fades, throw it away, it is weakened.
Yeah, I've noticed the same thing. I wouldn't use it for "important work" unless new. It actually shreds and "crumbles" after long exposure to the sun. As Gunni said, it may be good for one season only.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
just two lines from the dink to each stern cleat.
:plus::plus:

I do the same, except I use a 3rd floating poly rope as a Retrieval line. I have that line on a Hand reeling spool. It is also kind of Safety line if a towing lines fail and a way to tie off the dink for a nights anchorage.
Jim...

PS: I like his dink since it will take waves better. I sometimes tow a 17' center console fishing boat with a hull like his.;) Why fishing? We zoom to an Artificial Reef, catch big fish, return back to our "base camp".:)

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Great post and info I needed to know about for sure. I will switch to floating line when we are towing this in the future.
FatherDay1.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
John, You would need to be careful towing that behind a boat up here in the PacNW. Someone might see it and think WOW.. That is one grand goose. I think I'll bag it and we can make dinner for the neighborhood.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I have had the black version last for several years on my extension ladders stored in the sun on the rack on my truck. The lighter colors do break down quicker. I would definitely not use it for towing, but changing out a painter every year or so wouldn't bother me, and 100' would make a whole lot of painters.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Humm:doh:--I don't use it (PE) to tow or as the painter; but I do use it in other applications on the boat. I'll pitch some in the water this afternoon to confirm. I agree it has a better feel than polypropylene.
So, I did a little research. The rope that I was referring to as a 3-strand polyester is actually a Sampson 3-strand bi-polymer rope. I guess I was misled :doh:by the label on the product at WM which I believe read "polyester." I'll have to check on that next time I'm in there.

Anyway, here it is, and it floats, as I thought. This would be a good rope to use for painters and I may switch to it completely.

Ultra-Blue.jpg

Last edited:

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
One thing about polypropylene to consider. While it floats, it's not impossible to wrap it around your prop shaft. When it does a great deal of heat is generated and it will weld itself into a hard blob that can't be un-wrapped, you have to cut it off with a diagonal cutter. Meaning, you're going swimming.

Last edited:

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
I ran 30' of this https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-5-8-in-Braided-Polypropylene-Rope-By-The-Foot/3613928 to a bridle and towed for 8 seasons with no problems. Now I have davits so I am using the 10' piece that came with my Achilles but I will change it out for a 25' piece of Poly. I haven't been to a dinghy dock that doesn't have 2-3 dinghies deep (except midweek). It needs to be long enough to walk through a few dinghies to get to the dock.