WHICH SIDE DOES THE FUEL TANK COME OUT

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
Hey folks, anyone know for a 1983 O'Day 30, which side does the fuel tank come out best. From the lazarette on the port side or the engine access side by the quarter birth. I need to replace the tank holding frame and platform.

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
On the 34/35 the tank does not come out without cutting either the liner or the tank. O'day installed the motor, all tankage and the plumbing before the liner was installed.

The 30 may have been built the same way.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
The tank comes out easily if you remove the motor. If not then you may have to do some surgery either on the tank or on the boat.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Well that sucks. Isn't the point of a larger boat easier access to equipment?
My Hunter is just under the shelf in the stbd laz.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Bigger boats. Does not necessarily mean easier tasks.
I have 2 fuel tanks. Metal. Both 85 gallons under the floor of the cabin, on either side of the keel. The water tanks 50 Gal each were conveniently placed beneath starboard the kitchen cabinets and port the Bench seat.
I'll be taking the insides of the boat apart if any of them needs replacement.

May 30, 2006
Oday 34 Chesapeake Bay
On the 34/35 the tank does not come out without cutting either the liner or the tank. O'day installed the motor, all tankage and the plumbing before the liner was installed.

The 30 may have been built the same way.
Yeah, really no big deal to cut the liner, it's mostly cosmetic and with care can easily be repaired. I sweated it on my 34, but sure beats removing the engine (500 lbs) or cutting the tank up.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
I followed SailingCal21's advice and cut the liner in the quarter berth using an oscillating tool. It is not in a visible location and the piece I cut out I backed with a piece of plywood and screwed it back in place then covered the joint with a nice piece of oak. Looks great and now I can remove it whenever I need better access to the engine, steering system, batteries, or fuel tank. With the liner cut the fuel tank slides right out no sweat.

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
Looks good!... Where is your lift pump mounted? On my 35 it is mounted to the "bulkhead" between the tank and the engine compartment. Not sure why you have two R12T 10 micron Raycor filters in series. Do you still have the OEM filter on your engine?

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
Pump is mounted on the bulkhead, which is over the engine. The picture is how it was first set up. Since then it runs through a 30 micron and finally through a 10 micron. Yes the original style filter is still on the engine. I use a Napa Gold 3390
This multiphase of filtration is to avoid any water getting into the engine. With two viewable filter bowls, I can see if my fuel is contaminated. I'm trying to avoid my experience with engine failure.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Yup. you have issues.. an easier fix might be to bolster the existing fuel tank framework..

Oct 7, 2008
Oday Oday 35 Chesapeake Bay
I cut my aluminum tank in parts to get it out. Replaced it with a smaller plastic tank.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Different boat. When I replaced my fuel tank I ordered a new one with a threaded hub for the fill inlet. This reduced the height of the tank so that I could slip it in. Afterwards I screwed a hose barb into the threaded hub. May help if you have to cut the fill neck off to get it out.

Last edited:

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
I cut my aluminum tank in parts to get it out. Replaced it with a smaller plastic tank.
I did the same - the tank was 34 years old without any way to inspect it without removing it. Turns out the tank was in exellent condition. However, the cost of the plastic tank was about the same as two inspection ports which would have been required (center baffle blocks access). I like the smaller size (19 gal.) and the fact that I can see the fuel level in the new tank.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Wondering how much of the rot was caused by tank condensation.....
If you mean condensation inside the tank, then probably none. More likely corrosion was caused by water trapped between the tank exterior bottom and the base it sits on. On my old boat the original fuel tank sat on an unfinished piece of wet plywood. Leaked after forty years through small pin holes on the bottom. Best current practices consist of having plastic strips bonded to tank bottom to keep tank from resting on a wet surface.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
If you mean condensation inside the tank, then probably none. More likely corrosion was caused by water trapped between the tank exterior bottom and the base it sits on. On my old boat the original fuel tank sat on an unfinished piece of wet plywood. Leaked after forty years through small pin holes on the bottom. Best current practices consist of having plastic strips bonded to tank bottom to keep tank from resting on a wet surface.
Exterior sweating...