Which Anchor?

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
The anchor will be replaced. I'm not a "good 'nuff" kinda sort when it comes to safety. Why incur thousands of dollars in damage repair over a few hundred dollar anchor and rode?
With all the El Niño rain up in WA, keep your anchor locker dry.:biggrin:
You are my kinda "Safety First" Captain.;)
Happy New Year on your new boat....
Jim...

druid

Apr 22, 2009
Ontario 32 Pender Harbour
After MANY years anchoring in the PNW (Western Canada actually), here are my thoughts:
1. There's always a new, "BETTER THAN ANY OTHER ANCHOR" anchor on the market. After a few years, you find they're not much better than the tried-and-true ones. Check out Bruce anchors: they were once thought of as the be-all, end-all, just as the Rocnas are now. But now I see Bruce's being replaced by good ol' CQRs.
2. Just like "there's no replacement for displacement", a heavy anchor (such as a CQR) can be a Good Idea despite any fancy designs.
3. A Danforth-style anchor is GREAT for good anchorages (ie mud) since they hold well, are easy to set and will re-set if the direction changes. However there are some bottoms that they suck at (like kelp or rock). Therefore....
4. Have AT LEAST TWO anchors on board, of different styles (such as Danforth and Bruce). They come in handy for bow-and-stern settings, and that way you have an anchor for a wider variety of bottoms. It's best for both of them to have rodes, etc. so you can bow-and-stern, but a quick-connect could be used on a single rode.
5. The advice of "look at other boats in your area" is a good one - most boaters figure out what's best for anchorages in their area.

druid

vasko

Jan 2, 2016
Jeanneau Sun Liberty 34 St Cyprien
Changed my Bruce 16 kg with Plastmo Kobra 2 - extremely happy :