Which Anchor?

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Anyone with experience with a Mantus anchor?

EJ

Excellent anchor and sets faster than both my Rocna and Manson Supreme but once set they all perform very similarly.

Today there are lots of very good high performance anchors that set near instantly and also reset on wind tide shifts with alarming reliability.

For a bow anchor you can't go wrong with:
Mantus
Manson Supreme
Rocna
Spade (steel only)

For a stern anchor:

Fortress - Make no mistake the Fortress is not just a "Danforth copy" they set faster and have multiple fluke angles for differing bottom types. They also carry a lifetime warranty as does the Mantus.

IMHO Fortress & Mantus have the best warranties in the industry covering both damage and manufacturing defects.

FWIW I own nearly every anchor made and have extensively tested them in my own waters. All of the new gens mentioned are very good. Not all new gens are good performers and I own some of those too.

EJWash

Nov 25, 2015
Catalina 30 Hoodsport
Main Sail, Thank you.

I just watched several anchor/anchoring videos on You Tube. The Mantus certainly makes an impression.

Yes, the anchor, chain, and rode all need replacement. Makes no sense to address each component, one at a time, as each fails.

EJ

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Anyone with experience with a Mantus anchor?

EJ
No experience, but their promo videos look good. You know, the videos of the anchor setting quickly and easily. I had planned to get one because they were less expensive than Rocna or Manson Supreme, and I have minimal anchoring needs (I'm not dropping the hook in a gale.) I think all the New Gen anchors (Rocna, Supreme, Mantus) perform similarly, which is far better than older designs, IMO.

But at the boat show this fall, I decided on the Manson, because it's design is a bit more compact than the wings holding the roll bar on the Mantus. I use the anchor reasonably frequently, so unbolting for storage isn't an option for me. At the end of it all, I wound up with a bigger Manson than I thought I was going to get... but it will be more than adequate for any of my anchoring needs, and I hope still compact enough to live in the lazarette... And I will probably STILL carry the old Claw and Danforth styles on board, up under the V-berth. MOAR STUFF!!!!! :D:D:D

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Well, ,here I go-

11,000 miles plus, Entire gulf coast, Keys, east coast to Annapolis, Bahamas

25 foot boat,. 22 pound SL Claw ( Bruce copy), 75 feet of chain, 200 feet of nylon

Carry a Danforth Hi-Tensile aboard as well as a folding Northill

NEVER had the Claw drag.. Had it refuse to set once only- in the channel at Frazier Hogg Key, Berry's, where the guide book says bottom is HARD scoured. They were correct - took a mooring

IF I had the affords,( Soc Sec ya know) I'd buy a Mantus, but compared they are very expensive, and I HAVE the Claw. Since the furor over the bad metals on the Rocna's a few years ago, I'd not trust one, But that's just an old man's cynicism. Craig used to blow way too hard, and way too much denigrating other anchors, so I just don't care for them.

There was a time when West Marine was refunding money to folks who bought Rocna's, and did not carry them

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Proud new owner of a 1989 Catalina 30. During survey, the Danforth anchor was found in the chain locker, rusting-away.
So what about rust? If the main load parts are 75% of original diameter, it should be good to go! Unless the anchor is your "show piece", I would use the "good for sand" Danforth.
Note: Static rust is your friend. Rusted surfaces, that don't have the rust removed, stop rusting. Locker storage sounds like Static rust.
Jim...
PS: Anchor parts are 125% over designed for their ratings. ;) get the 75% now?

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
So what about rust? If the main load parts are 75% of original diameter, it should be good to go!
I calculate that 75% of original diameter remaining means there is only 56% of the original cross sectional area left. This translates to only 89.5% of the original rating. Is that a problem?

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I calculate that 75% of original diameter remaining means there is only 56% of the original cross sectional area left. This translates to only 89.5% of the original rating. Is that a problem?
Well pies aren't square.:p
Since chain size is the diameter of the bar stock used to make the bend, I thought for simplicity diameter but ok then ≈90% of the load cross section, instead of diameter then. Should be good to go also.
Unless...
Read "rusting-away" as disintegrating. Wish I had pics, but I don't.
Then that means that the anchor locker had water intruding , over and over, and thus not static environment.
some times is it just a few links and they can be replaced.

I like Danforth in sand and Bruce in mud.
Jim...

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
west coast--- 100 ft 5/16 chain and a bruce. you anchor in mud or sand and rocks. i have watched as new fangled anchors would not set in these conditions and i have watched deltas drag, and danforths. and cqr.... i have had excellent holding even in notoriously bad holding grounds.
i use more chain as i am full time cruising, a lot more south on the west coast.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
i have watched as new fangled anchors would not set in these conditions and i have watched deltas drag, and danforths. and cqr.... i have had excellent holding even in notoriously bad holding grounds.
Zeehag, which "new fangled" have you seen not set? I know I don't consider CQR, Danforth, or Deltas to be "new fangled." The industry does call spade shaped anchors such as Rocna, Manson Supreme, Mantus, so called "New Generation" anchors. Those three seem to be the front runners of the New Generation anchors, and are frequently called out for excellent quick setting characteristics. There are even newer-fangled anchors than these three now.

Just askin'. Experience and observation trump "supposed to" every time.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Get one of each that way you will always have the right anchor :>)
I have a couple danforths (the old ones had forged shanks, the new ones are just cut plate stock), a claw, a manson supreme, and a mushroom. I have used a CQR in a hurricane and it held so good I couldn't pull it up, I'd need a barge and crane to remove it. I have found all of them work great in the conditions and locations I have used them. The only anchor I would never use is those folding anchors for a dinghy that look like a grappling hook, wouldn't even hold a 70 pound inflatable in calm conditions.
You can get great deals on used anchors at consignment shops and some internet used gear places like this one:
http://sailorman.com/categories/consignment-items/

Feb 1, 2011
sail boat dock
Cneck out these tests from MV Panope, using a cam suspended from the anchor. You can watch the different anchors set and he does a reset test, too.

EJWash

Nov 25, 2015
Catalina 30 Hoodsport
Here's the Danforth as I found it in the boat during the survey.

Obviously needs replacing. Hence, again, my question for the thread.

Attachments

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
From your pictures it doesn't look that bad. Take a wire brush to the rusty areas and then spray paint it with some galvanizing paint. Petit sells some paint in a spray can that has a high zinc content, or check around, you might be able to get it regalvanized for a reasonable price. It looks like the anchor locker is set up for a Danforth, any other brand you might have to figure on how to mount it on a bow roller or rail or deck mount. You should have a backup anyway for emergency situations. Defender often has really good deals on Lewmar claw anchors, check out their clearance section. They currently list a 22 pound claw for 45 bucks. You won't find a better deal even at a consignment shop probably, but the shipping might be outrageous. If you can go to their store and pick it up it is a great deal.
Here's a spray can for cold galvanizing said to be for old rusty anchors and other metals. http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|2200442|2200456&id=2021857

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I did have a 35lb delta which worked great for many years
And lots of chain but than ran into a piling don't ask any way
got a new 35lb mantus at the boat show and that thing is like
Fast working glue and holds so great and digs in very fast and
holds really good.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Here's the Danforth as I found it in the boat during the survey.

Obviously needs replacing.
Please note the reason for continued Iron corrosion in your 1st picture x0193. The upper right shows the water path from deck to the chain locker. This continued (non static) bathing will happen to a new chain if you can't prevent bathing the anchor/chain. You might just shift the chain more aft. There should be a locker drain, perhaps it is plugged.
Jim...

EJWash

Nov 25, 2015
Catalina 30 Hoodsport
Please note the reason for continued Iron corrosion in your 1st picture x0193.
Already on it, Jim. Thanks.

I just took possession of the boat two weeks ago. The previous owner left everything as is. I have a lot of cleaning-up to do, as the boat saw little use (though regular maintenance and engine starts) over the last couple of years.

The anchor will be replaced. I'm not a "good 'nuff" kinda sort when it comes to safety. Why incur thousands of dollars in damage repair over a few hundred dollar anchor and rode?

EJ