Which Anchor?

EJWash

Nov 25, 2015
Catalina 30 Hoodsport
Proud new owner of a 1989 Catalina 30. During survey, the Danforth anchor was found in the chain locker, rusting-away.

I know I'm more than likely opening a can of worms, but should I just replace with another Danforth, or (fill in the blank with type - and why)?

Thanks!

EJ

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
that all depends on you sailing grounds...and yes this is a can of worms lol...anchors to a boat owner are like wives to a married man most have one ...you will get varied opinions on this subject and in the end you may be just as confused as you are now ...i will suggest you check with the local sailors in your area of sailing and see what is popular with them and also in your inquiry specify where you will be sailing and anchoring them you may narrow it down some from the responses of people in your area ...anchoring a boat is like putting in golf they are to separate games sailing/long game....putting/anchoring

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
Catalina 30, 33lb Ronca anchor, at least 30' of 5/8" chain. I would do 50' if it was me.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Welcome EJ,
Although you didn't mention its condition the anchor line attached to the rusting Danforth isn't likely to be in such good shape either. Check for appropriate size anchor rode from any of the sites or companies that you choose to make your purchase. "Mouse" the pins of the shackles with stainless steel wire and secure one end to the chain (and thus to the anchor) and the other end to the attachment in the anchor locker. Best Wishes for enjoying your new boat!

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi EJ, our boat came equipped with a 40# Danforth, 30 feet of 5/16 grade 40 chain and 250 feet of 5/8 three strand nylon. When we first purchased the boat in 2002 I had some anchoring lessons to learn.

Those lessons have helped make what I consider to be a very effective anchoring system suitable for just about any occasion. Still have the 40# Danforth. Very effective in PNW waters. Also, still use a 20# kellet (lead down rigger ball). So, Belle-Vie now has 50 of 5/16 grade 40 chain, 150 feet of 5/8 three strand nylon, another 50 of 5/16 grade 40 chain and another 150 feet of 5/8 three strand nylon. Each is connected to the other using a warp splice.

Typically I shoot for 25 feet of water to drop and set the anchor. Usually settle with a minimum of 110 to 140 feet of rode unless sour weather is in the forecast. A SS carabiner secures the kellet to the end of the first 50 segment of 5/16 chain. This helps with catenary.

Catenary is also the reason for alternating between chain-to-rope to chain-to-rope. This tip came from another seasoned sailor that seemed to make sense when lots of rode is needed for much deeper water and/or sour weather conditions.

In all the years of anchoring hundreds of times in PNW waters, one time the anchor did not hold and that was in a strong blow in Cortex Bay on Cortez Island, BC. It is a notoriously poor anchorage consisting of a thin layer of mud over hard shale. Needless to say even with 300 feet of rode, Belle-Vie at 35,000 pounds still moved about 100 that night.

The Danforth has always reset itself when a wind shift or tide current change occurs. Perhaps there are more modern designs that do a better job than the Danforth, but as long as the Danforth does its job, I am a happy sailor.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Another point EJ. Our 1991 Danforth, which I have used hundreds of times, remains rust free. Is your anchor a Danforth brand or of the same style but made by a different outfit?

EJWash

Nov 25, 2015
Catalina 30 Hoodsport
Stu, Great info - thank you!

Looks like a Delta comes close to being the all-around choice.

EJ

EJWash

Nov 25, 2015
Catalina 30 Hoodsport
Terry, the anchor is stamped Danforth. Although, the shank is pretty lightweight. Almost like a heavier gauge sheet metal. The boat's chain locker has a molded area where the anchor is held by its stocks. The metal of one stock rusted internally and expanded, and the outer metal flaked-away.

Thank you for the input.

EJ

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Danger Will Robinson! Danger! You are now entering the religious anchor discussion zone! 'Cos discussing anchors is like discussing religion! :D:D:D

I keep reading everywhere that Danforth-style anchors are noted for NOT resetting well. Lucky for Terry that his has reset on tide/wind shifts. So called "New Generation" anchors like Rocna, Mantus, Manson Supreme get very high marks. The Fortress Danforth-style is often a widely carried second anchor, and is notable because it is easily disassembled for storage and does well in mud.

A lot of old skool cruisers used CQRs. But then I hear so many people drag with a CQR, and move to a Delta. But then people who get Rocna/Mantus/Manson Supreme rave how easy they set compared to a Delta.

My anchoring needs are sooooo minimal compared to real cruisers on this forum that my opinion doesn't matter much. I used to have a small Lewmar Claw, which fit in my rubber feed bucket on top of the warp down in the lazarette nicely. Many times I felt it didn't set easily, but most of my anchoring is lunch or faint breeze raft ups of 6-8 boats. Funny how you can raft up 8 boats for the evening with light breeze, think your anchor didn't set initially but when you pull it up it's stuck in well and didn't drag. Needless to say, it seemed to be meeting my needs, even though I didn't like how it did or didn't set. So I wasted my money on buying a Manson Supreme. (Well, not really wasted, but I probably didn't need to buy it...) Aaaaaand... it was at the end of the season this year, so I haven't used it yet! It looks good on the floor of the garage, though. And I have a pile of chain and laid warp next to the sofa, just waiting for a chain to rope splice some winter evening when I'm watching TV :D:D:D

Apr 1, 2012
Pearson 424 Charleston, SC
My 1988 Catalina 30 came with a CQR which I got rid of the first season, didn't like it. I purchased a Hooker 22 lb Danforth style with 30' of 3/8" chain and 150' of 1/2" 3-strand. It worked well for most of my area but I did have trouble in a couple anchorages we frequently visited. Those anchorages were a sand/cobble mix with fist sized rocks that would foul the flukes by getting stuck between flukes and not letting the shank articulate. I then purchased a Rocna 15kg, kept the same chain/rode, a little over sized but was easy to hand while weighing anchor and I never dragged in any of the anchorages. I would stand on the bow and just laugh when that anchor went overboard, grabbed the bottom, then stopped the boat immediately. My boat had the sprit so no problems fitting the Rocna on the rollers.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
If the anchor is useless, the rode is suspect. Shop for a comprehensive 'ground tackle system'. There are no shortcuts to procuring the one last and final method you have to save your boat and safeguard your crew. Plan on lots of practice deploying and recovering your ground tackle system. Then do it at 0200 in your underwear...in the rain...have a crew member scream and yell panicked gibberish. Have a plan B when your new anchor goes missing and you really need to hold the boat. Good to go!

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
I agree with others. If you are going to replace your anchor do the whole system at one time. That way nothing is suspect.

50' 5/16" Chain, 33lb Ronca, 150 feet anchor rode (marked every 30 feet) 1/2": http://www.cajunrope.com/store/p17/Anchor_Line.html

Complete replacement, very effective, good system that will hold and, if you do a 180 on your anchor, it will reset. I have been in many storms when my Catalina 30 sailed over the anchor at the first gust of the storm. Each time my anchor reset. The only time I ever drug was with a danforth. That quickly became a spare anchor.

Remember, a Catalina 30 is a HUGE 30' boat and it is more indicative of a 34' boat so you should treat it as such. I say oversize your ground tackle!

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
I agree with others. If you are going to replace your anchor do the whole system at one time. That way nothing is suspect.

50' 5/16" Chain, 33lb Ronca, 150 feet anchor rode (marked every 30 feet) 1/2": http://www.cajunrope.com/store/p17/Anchor_Line.html

Complete replacement, very effective, good system that will hold and, if you do a 180 on your anchor, it will reset. I have been in many storms when my Catalina 30 sailed over the anchor at the first gust of the storm. Each time my anchor reset. The only time I ever drug was with a danforth. That quickly became a spare anchor.

Remember, a Catalina 30 is a HUGE 30' boat and it is more indicative of a 34' boat so you should treat it as such. I say oversize your ground tackle!
+1 on Cajun as a source for your anchor line. Superior customer service and good prices. I recommend them whenever I can! (And no, I don't have stock in the company! :wink:)

EJWash

Nov 25, 2015
Catalina 30 Hoodsport
Danger Will Robinson! Danger! You are now entering the religious anchor discussion zone! 'Cos discussing anchors is like discussing religion! :D:D:D
Oh, trust me, I knew that. Wait until I throw left-handed versus right-handed anchors out there...
LOTS of good information being offered - and I really appreciate it all.
EJ

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Mantus is on my purchase order. Will serve as a third anchor because it bolts together and can be packed away, and is a spade type.