Where should i spend my summer?

Dec 3, 2013
HUNTER 29.5 PORT CHARLOTTE FL
First Aid Kit
Tool Kit (including prop wrench and plug wrench)
OB Motor Spares (including spare prop)
Sun Burn Gel (Aloe type)
Large (Golf) Umbrella and adjustable clamp
Cooking Gear, Coffee Pot, etc.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Citronella candles ... I like the kind that are in a can with a metal lid. They sell them at WalMart.

I'm guessing bear spray is a Minnesota thing? Although I've seen bear along the NC coast, I'm not guessing they would be much of a problem once you leave MN. But I could be wrong about that. And why a tent? Your boat is a much better place to sleep than a tent.

I find the bungee tarp ties to be extremely useful for all sorts of things. I tie up the sail, hold down a pole etc. etc. I always keep a bunch of those on my boat.

Oct 29, 2014
O'Day O'Day 25 Still water
I have a small two person tent I'm going to bring just in case. Also i assume it'd be good to get off the boat if there's a lighting storm??

Bear spray would be for anything that i might cross paths with. Including ppl. i don't plan on ever using it, i guess I've just always gotten used to having it with me on hikes.

Thanks, I'll definitely check out those citronella candles

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Lightning! Oh no.... you said the "L" word:eek:

Just watch... this thread will explode with contradictory advice on lightening protection on a sailboat.
:D:dance::deadhorse::stirthepot:

I guess I'll get it started.... Most sailboats never get hit (unless you live in Florida :D)... and the least you can do is hang some jumper cables from your shrouds into the water during a storm. What I actually do is similar to that.... I have four pieces of older chain with snap hooks on them. I attache one each to each of my shrouds and toss them over the side. I hope that it provides a good path to ground in the event of a strike. I guess I could add one to the front stay and back stay as well. Some sailboats have a grounding strap from the mast to a ground plate through-bolted to the bottom of the boat. Then you are also supposed to run a ground wire to any metal chain plates and backing plates to that same ground strap. In theory a well grounded mast will provide a cone of protection around the boat with a radius equal to the height of the mast. Fortunately, I've never had the opportunity to test that theory.

Trying to pitch a tent on the banks of a muddy river during a lightening storm is not my idea of a good time. Ground the mast, and keep away from any metal objects in the cabin.

Regarding people spray.... I guess bear spray makes a good defense and if you already own some why not. When I lived in Louisiana, we used to pack 410 shot gun shells with sand and a low yield of powder and use that to blast snakes in our camp. You might want to blast a few snakes on the Mississippi ... I have no idea of pepper spray works on snakes or not but if so... seems like a good idea to me.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Make lots of noise to keep the bears away.

But, the .44 magnum's fun for plinkin'. Won't do diddly to the bear in time.

It's great for ending the attack by popping yourself in the head.

Aug 19, 2013
Sirius 22 Minneapolis
My list on stuff to bring besides personal belongings. If anyone has anything to add please do so;

Tent
Stove
Rechargeable flashlight
12v spot light
Extra rope
Inflatable raft
Paddles
Long pole
Bear Mace
Binoculars
Good cooler
Extra gas cans
Collapsible cart
Good quality oil lamps
2 VHF radios
GPS cell phone
Spare anchor
Good knives
Solar panel to charge GPS/VHF
Rain gear
Mosquito net/bug spray
Nav charts (hard copy and pdf file)
List of locks, ports and their phone numbers.

A spare anchor would be a third anchor just to clarify that point. Two are just considered the working anchors. I have one in a bow locker and one mounted to the stern rail on a bracket I made. But on the river I think you may find yourself often anchoring with one anchor as the current may keep you pointing upstream regardless of the wind. A 100 ft + line for tying ashore will come in handy too.

What do you have for a dinghy? Not a cheap inflatable "toy" boat I hope. Keep your eye out for a good used inflatable sport boat if needed. The 8 footer is about the right size. I payed $300 for a really nice older Achilles. They hold up really nice here in the north as they don't get all burned up in the sun all year long. A two horse outboard for the dinghy would be nice and as a backup for the main motor.

You will spend most of your time motoring. The few people I have known who have done this report sailing maybe 20% of the time. You usually keep in the channel so you avoid the wing dams and there will be lots of barge traffic and you have to keep out of their way. They cannot maneuver to avoid you while you are sailing down the river. Of course you anchor outside the channel and the wing dams are clearly marked on the charts so finding a safe spot was never a problem. The barges travel 24/7 so they will pass by in the nite as you are anchored out of the way, hitting you with a bright spotlight to check you out. It's all part of the charm of traveling on the river.

Some type of shade awning or bimini top

Sun shower

Working anchor light

Bear mace? I have had numerous bear encounters over the years on my north country canoe trips but have never felt the need of any extra protection. You won't have any encounters on this trip but I suppose if you want some personal protection for other reasons.

Oct 29, 2014
A spare anchor would be a third anchor just to clarify that point. Two are just considered the working anchors. I have one in a bow locker and one mounted to the stern rail on a bracket I ..... c3326c8.jpg[/IMG]
Oh yes, i have 3 anchors. That is a good point tho.

Here is what i have for a dingy...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00177BQC6/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?qid=1419011070&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

I absolutely agree that i SHOULD have a better quality one. However i have had this raft for 2 years, and it has been filled with up to 7 drunk adults many times. On both rivers and lakes. Still, it has not had a single hole put in it! If i were on the great lakes i would certainly get something more sea worthy, but on the river i couldn't really see it bring used as a life raft. More just for fun, or getting to shore when anchored out. Also, I'm trying to be as cheap as possible. i just can't justify spending a few hundred on something like that. Thoughts??

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00177BQC6/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?qid=1419011070&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

I absolutely agree that i SHOULD have a better quality one. However i have had this raft for 2 years, and it has been filled with up to 7 drunk adults many times. On both rivers and lakes. Still, it has not had a single hole put in it! If i were on the great lakes i would certainly get something more sea worthy, but on the river i couldn't really see it bring used as a life raft. More just for fun, or getting to shore when anchored out. Also, I'm trying to be as cheap as possible. i just can't justify spending a few hundred on something like that. Thoughts??
I would of recommended something a little better but since you have history with it and it has been working I'd say go for it. As long as you swim well you could pursue other options if it didn't work,

Sumner

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]============================

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links
[/FONT]

Aug 19, 2013
Sirius 22 Minneapolis

At two years old it may be coming close to living on borrowed time. I have serious doubts that it would survive day in and day out use over the course of a summer. My experience with this type of inflatable is they seldom die from puncture wounds but somewhere a seam will get a small split and these are almost impossible to make permanently airtight again. You can try and patch this and it will slow or temporarily stop the leak enough to make the boat somewhat usable and then a week later another small split somewhere else or the patch will leak. I have used inflatable kayaks over the years and have gone through three of them, each one dying by seam split. Two cheap ones and one decent one I spent 300 dollars on but I also had the Achilles for the main dinghy. Aside from durability the main drawback to this type of boat is that you cannot stand up in it. Assuming you have a boarding ladder on the stern you have to climb down ass first and drop into the dinghy. Boarding the boat from the dinghy is also challenging. Sitting on your butt in the dinghy you have get your feet out onto the bottom rung then grab the boarding ladder and pull your self up. Now there might be two of you in the dinghy so double the fun.:D This is not too much of a problem if you are under 45, slim, and trim. My wife and I did it for many years with the kayak but she is 61 now and it has been 8 years since she last got into or out of the kayak. It no longer comes along on our trips. We liked the kayak as it would paddle very well. Your boat .....not so good.... especially in the river current. I understand the budget issue but just keep an eye out for something better at a price you can live with....you have time.

The first cheap kayak...a promotional item from the 1984 LA Olympics.:D Later we got the better Sevlor kayak and it was a bit larger and more durable. But even so if you add up the actual amount of time over the several years it was in use it may be 2-3 months of day in day out use. Age plays a part too. Even with light use after 4-5 years they are shot. I think this photo is from 1986 at the Sand Island caves in the Apostles.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2014
Nice picture! You should post it on www.reddit.com/r/oldschoolcool

I am a little worried about the possibility of it getting a rip as well. On a river is a dingy really even a must have? I assume I'll never be too far from shore if something catastrophic were to happen, and i will of curse have life jackets with me. If it did rip, i could always order another one for $100 and have it shipped to the post office in the next town.

One of you mentioned that I'll only be sailing about 20% of the time. This brings up another important question i should have asked a long time ago. How much will i be spending on gas? I have a two stroke 9.9 evinrude. I'm just looking for ballpark figures here.

Oct 29, 2014
Those look like some pretty cool little projects. I already have one boat that i need to work on next spring, I don't know of I'll have time for anything extra!

As for fuel I'm thinking anywhere between 200-500. Unfortunately It's really hard to tell.

Aug 19, 2013
Sirius 22 Minneapolis
Nice picture! You should post it on www.reddit.com/r/oldschoolcool

I am a little worried about the possibility of it getting a rip as well. On a river is a dingy really even a must have? I assume I'll never be too far from shore if something catastrophic were to happen, and i will of curse have life jackets with me. If it did rip, i could always order another one for $100 and have it shipped to the post office in the next town.

One of you mentioned that I'll only be sailing about 20% of the time. This brings up another important question i should have asked a long time ago. How much will i be spending on gas? I have a two stroke 9.9 evinrude. I'm just looking for ballpark figures here.
It seems that you are looking at the dinghy as a "lifeboat" and while this is a necessary function it's main purpose will be going ashore, visiting other boats, fishing, setting a second anchor, exploring backwater channels, etc. It's an all purpose auxiliary vehicle that will earn it's keep and make the trip more interesting. You need something up to the job.

A good dinghy opens up more areas to explore and things to do. Here we are spending a
whole day exploring the back channels of the French River in Lake Huron and then running the rapids in the kayak back to the anchorage. The red Achilles sport boat in the first photo is the one I bought from our friends at the end of that trip.

I don't want to discourage you in any way but I will just put this out there. If I were doing this trip I would have a decent robust dinghy, either an inflatable sport boat or a hard dinghy and a small 2-3 hp outboard for it and to act as backup for the main motor. You could even tie the dinghy to the stern quarter and use it as a pushboat.

I plan for a range of 50 miles on 6 gallons with my old Merc 7.5 two stroke. You will do much better going downriver but two strokes are thirsty engines. What do you know about that engine? Can you service it yourself? If not take it to a shop and have them tune it up, replace the water pump impeller, and get a spare one too. Have them replace the pull start rope or carry a spare and now how to replace it. I have had my share of engine problems over the years on the Lakes and it's an inconvenience.....on the river it could be serious trouble.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2013
Sirius 22 Minneapolis
When traveling on the River and encountering a barge train call them on the VHF and announce your intentions or ask their preference...passing to port or starboard...whatever you are planning to do....they may have a preference depending on their planned maneuvering. You will find them friendly, respectful, and easy to talk to and they will view you as a notch above the typical lubberly pleasure boat operator. They generally will not call you but will respond to your call.
On the Illinois River we traveled in company with a small barge train. They would enter the lock first and then we would go in and tie up in the vacant space up front (they were traveling with an odd number of barges). Leaving the lock we would pull aside and let them go ahead and then we followed to the next lock. You probably will not be doing that on the Mississippi as the trains are a lot bigger...up to 15 I think.

Oct 29, 2014
It seems that you are looking at the dinghy as a "lifeboat" and while this is a necessary function it's main purpose will be go.jpg[/IMG]
You make some really good points. I'll keep my eye out for a good dingy/motor, but idk if i would want to drop more than 500. And coming across one in that price range seems unlikely. however, i do know someone that is trying to unload a late 90s jet ski for around that price 0_o less practical, but cheap and it could definitely tow the sailboat if i had motor trouble. I think I'll sit on this one for a couple months, and see if anything good pops up in the twin cites area.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
i do know someone that is trying to unload a late 90s jet ski for around that price 0_o less practical, but cheap and it could definitely tow the sailboat of i had motor trouble.
No. Bad idea.

Oct 29, 2014
When traveling on the River and encountering a barge train call them on the VHF and announce your intentions or ask their preference...passing to port or starboard...whatever you are planning to do....they may have a preference depending on their planned maneuvering. You will find them friendly, respectful, and easy to talk to and they will view you as a notch above the typical lubberly pleasure boat operator. They generally will not call you but will respond to your call.
On the Illinois River we traveled in company with a small barge train. They would enter the lock first and then we would go in and tie up in the vacant space up front (they were traveling with an odd number of barges). Leaving the lock we would pull aside and let them go ahead and then we followed to the next lock. You probably will not be doing that on the Mississippi as the trains are a lot bigger...up to 15 I think.
Good advice! About how many barges will i see per day? 3-5? 6-10? Also how many locks? I figured about 1 per day.