Where should i spend my summer?

Oct 29, 2014
O'Day O'Day 25 Still water
i posted a thread a month or two ago about what boat should be my first.

here's a link to the thread; http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=166981

The original plan was to get a small sailboat and float down the Mississippi. i ended up finding an O'day 25. http://i.imgur.com/GfN0D4m.jpg A little bigger than what i was original looking for, but thanks to a couple of you i was able to find it for a good price. my next step is to plot a course, and figure out the details. any information i could get is appreciated. i have 4 ideas...

1. http://i.imgur.com/2pglq5a.png

- this was the first. straight down old muddy. From Still water to New Orleans. i had no idea what i was getting into, did not have a boat and had not talked to anyone about it when i thought of this course.

2. http://i.imgur.com/XnHdVW3.png the Ohio, Tennessee, Tenn-Tom, Black Warrior, Mobile River route.

- i soon found out that this might be a much better route. slower current, more places to stock up on food and water.

- although at this point i also thought i would have a smaller boat. much shallower, and lighter. also something that wasn't very nice and i wouldn't plan on keeping the boat once i got to the gulf. sell it for whatever i could, and fly back to Minneapolis.

3. http://i.imgur.com/kEdBDzK.png turn around at St. Louis and sail upriver back to Still water MN.

- Once i picked up the O'day 25 i thought i might want to keep it for a couple years. i also was worried that i might not be able to handle a bigger heavier boat in high currents. i thought about just going to St. Louis then turn around and go back up to MN. i would be able to hold onto my boat, and skip the extremely hot muggy weather of a southern summer.

- can you sail up stream from St. Louis to MN? how much slower would it be than going downstream?

4. http://i.imgur.com/1uMBmix.png

this is something i started thinking about once i picked up the O'day 25. i was told that if you haven't sailed before you probably want to stay away from the great lakes. however, with this route the weather wouldn't be so hot and muggy, i would still have my boat at the end of the summer, fishing and sailing on the great lakes would be more enjoyable than on a muddy river with barge traffic. the cities i would stop in interest me a lot more. also i have been in the south many times, but never to Canada.

i'm thinking i can stay in the bay near Duluth MN for a few days (check it out on google maps) until i get a good handle on sailing and navigating. then venture out into the open water. there are bays every 5-10 miles along the coast that i could park in every night, and i would only sail into the open water when the weather was good.

- i know locks are free on the Mississippi. are they also free on the great lakes?
-will i have trouble crossing the boarders between US and Canada as long as i have a passport?
-what are the currents like in some of those channels?

thanks for reading! again, any information you could give and any part of these routes would be very helpful in planning my trip.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I would think steaming upstream would be slow and costly. If the water is doing 4 kt and your outboard can push you at 6kt you will only make good 2 kt. You are going to burn a lot of gas that way. Hire a kid to drive your trailer south for the money you would save on gas....and go for it.... :)

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Circumnavigation of Lake Superior might also make a great trip. Go counter clockwise to give the norther half time to warm up a bit :)

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Re option 4.
Locks are free. You cannot cross just anywhere. You can bring a bottle of booze or a case of beer into Canada. There is a light current in the st Mary's and st Clare rivers.

The south shore of superior is actually rather devoid of safe harbors, in many, places spanning over 60 miles. Between Duluth and the apostles (70nm) there is just two, with this being typically a lee shore.

There are mods/enhancements you would need to do to your boat before I would consider that trip.

Dan and I have beers at Pizza Luce in Richfield Tuesdays after work. You should come some day and we could talk more about it.

Clay

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
I'd also do number 4 that time of the year and would only go south if it was later and you wanted to say head on to Florida.

A couple things to think about:

1. Check out the North Channel for part of the trip.

2. Here is info on Canada boating requirements... https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/debs-obs-quick-quick_visitor-1610.htm ...note the following:

2a.) If you are there over 45 days you need to comply with the Operator Competency Requirements. This isn't a huge deal. I plan on taking Florida's online course and Canada recognizes it. Maybe the same for Minn. or maybe you won't be there that long. The course would be good anyway and I should of done it long ago.

2b.) Not sure what your boat has now for a head but you can't have a porti-potti but you can have a MSD type porti-potti....

http://www.thetford.com/HOME/PRODUCTS/PortableToilets/PortaPotti550PMarine/tabid/884/Default.aspx

.... I'm installing one of those on the Mac right now for the Florida Keys and if I can get to Canada. Maybe you already have a head with a holding tank? I will still use Double Doodie bags when they are legal so maybe I'll have one of the few 26 foot boats with 2 heads :).

3. On the locks if you use the Welland canal/locks to get around Niagara Falls I think you will be spending maybe $240 there for those. I kind of looked into that because if I do the Erie Canal I want to go the whole way but also want to do the Trent-Severn canal/lake system so have to get back into Lake Ontario.

4. Don't have a totally fixed schedule. Stay flexible. You might enjoy yourself just as much possibly doing 1/4 to 1/2 that trip,

Sumner

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]============================

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links
[/FONT]

Oct 29, 2014
Re option 4.
Locks are free. You cannot cross just anywhere. You can bring a bottle of booze or a case of beer into Canada. There is a light current in the st Mary's and st Clare rivers.

The south shore of superior is actually rather devoid of safe harbors, in many, places spanning over 60 miles. Between Duluth and the apostles (70nm) there is just two, with this being typically a lee shore.

There are mods/enhancements you would need to do to your boat before I would consider that trip.

Dan and I have beers at Pizza Luce in Richfield Tuesdays after work. You should come some day and we could talk more about it.

Clay
What time are you usually there? If it works out i will definitely take you up on that.

Oct 29, 2014
I'd also do number 4 that time of the year and would only go south if it was later and you wanted to say head on to Florida.

A couple things to think about:

1. Check out the North Channel for part of the trip.

2. Here is info on Canada boating requirements... https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/debs-obs-quick-quick_visitor-1610.htm ...note the following:

2a.) If you are there over 45 days you need to comply with the Operator Competency Requirements. This isn't a huge deal. I plan on taking Florida's online course and Canada recognizes it. Maybe the same for Minn. or maybe you won't be there that long. The course would be good anyway and I should of done it long ago.

2b.) Not sure what your boat has now for a head but you can't have a porti-potti but you can have a MSD type porti-potti....

http://www.thetford.com/HOME/PRODUCTS/PortableToilets/PortaPotti550PMarine/tabid/884/Default.aspx

.... I'm installing one of those on the Mac right now for the Florida Keys and if I can get to Canada. Maybe you already have a head with a holding tank? I will still use Double Doodie bags when they are legal so maybe I'll have one of the few 26 foot boats with 2 heads :).

3. On the locks if you use the Welland canal/locks to get around Niagara Falls I think you will be spending maybe $240 there for those. I kind of looked into that because if I do the Erie Canal I want to go the whole way but also want to do the Trent-Severn canal/lake system so have to get back into Lake Ontario.

4. Don't have a totally fixed schedule. Stay flexible. You might enjoy yourself just as much possibly doing 1/4 to 1/2 that trip,

Sumner

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]============================

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links
[/FONT]
I do have a good potty on board. Haven't used it yet, but then again i was told that no one had ever used it. it definitely looks new.

I'm already thinking I'll probably go as far as Buffalo and then turn around. i plan on leaving mid may, and can be out until whenever. Probably mid Aug if i am enjoying myself.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
I thought this whole buying a boat idea was to cruise down the Mississippi. Go with your initial thought and go with #1. #1 is a very special trip that will give you a lifetime of memories. Great Lakes?......... sounds nice but worth quitting your job for?

Dec 3, 2013
HUNTER 29.5 PORT CHARLOTTE FL
I thought this whole buying a boat idea was to cruise down the Mississippi. Go with your initial thought and go with #1. #1 is a very special trip that will give you a lifetime of memories. Great Lakes?......... sounds nice but worth quitting your job for?
Done a lot of river sailing

prefer bigger lakes, bays etc. more sailing and less getting out of the way of a tow

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
Done a lot of river sailing

prefer bigger lakes, bays etc. more sailing and less getting out of the way of a tow
Just saying, he originally wanted a sailboat as a cheap way to have a cabin on his way down the Mississippi. Wasn't actually a "sailing" trip. But after he got a O'day 25 maybe sailing is what he wants to do now.

Dec 3, 2013
HUNTER 29.5 PORT CHARLOTTE FL
Gotchya...

actually I would like to join the guys at Pizza Luce in Richfield Tuesday after work, but I'm about 15 hrs east... lol

Oct 29, 2014
I haven't decided anything yet. That's kind of what this post is about. But yes, kito is correct. I now have a much nicer and bigger boat than i originally thought i would own. This opened up the idea of the great lakes. I may end up doing the river after all, but we'll see where this plays out.

I plan on quitting my job either way. Party for the trip and for personal reasons.

Dec 1, 2014
Oday O'Day 25 Minnesota
Sail free!

I say take the Mississippi trip! :)

Although this is all new, they are right.
Going up through Canada could be tricky especially it being our first time.

My question would be; is it worth taking the first sailing trip going through locks and dams for a majority of the time though?

I've been reading up on a few other forums and the outcome is saying it's scenic up to Ohio, from there it's not worth it, worrying about the dams...large debris? I'm saying for the straight shot to the Gulf, the sounds of it are good, but are the waters worth it?

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Oct 29, 2014
take off the boat and dump... i'm almost curtain. although i was only in the boat for about 20 minutes before i wrapped it up for winter. i'll have to find that out

btw, kuymucholul is the one that will be coming along with me.

i'm already thinking that the great lakes trip would probably look something more like this. http://i.imgur.com/48F9MCn.png Maybe not even go that far. Just spend a couple weeks in the north channel, hit a few Michigan/Huron ports then head back.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009