Where should i spend my summer?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
If you do #4, NOBODY sails around the Keweenaw Peninsula. You cut through the waterway and save 80 miles.

The transit through the channel is fantastic, and Houghton/Hancock are great towns. And you get to get the world's largest lift bridge to go up on your command.

You can dock for free in Houghton, and go to the Ambassador bar for the Midwest's best Pizza, and the Keweenaw Brewing Co for the Midwest's best craft beer.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2014
O'Day O'Day 25 Still water
If you do #4, NOBODY sails around the Keweenaw Peninsula. You cut throug
Yes! This is exactly the kind of stuff i need to know. That leg of the trip was one of the reasons i was shying away from superior. Seeing as how there aren't many ports on the eastern shore line.

I won't be able to make it out to richfield tonight, but i would like to join you at some point. Are you going to be out there again next week?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
If you aren't aware of it look also at Active Captain...

https://activecaptain.com/

Sumner
:+1:

There will be many people who poo poo Active Captain and since it is essentially crowd sourced info it is subject to bias but I start all of my cruise research there and I read the reviews .... you can use your own judgement to weigh the bias.

It is a wealth of info. Get you one of those bound composition notebooks and make a list of marina names, locations and phone numbers along your route.... In your case how to hail a bridge etc.... where the free docks and bath houses are... You will also find info in Active Captain about where local stores are located, taxi phone numbers, restaurant phone numbers etc. Put that in your book also.... you will have a personalized cruising guide specific to your route and you can assure yourself that the info is up to date. I always do this and just knowing I can get what I need if I need it... takes a lot of stress out of a trip into unknown waters.

I've only ever needed my book once but it was great that I had it. I ran into engine trouble and needed to call for a mechanic. I called a local marina, they had a guy he came out and fixed everything right up... (a mud dauber had started a nest in my fuel line.... longish story) and $75 later I was on my way.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
I won't be able to make it out to richfield tonight, but i would like to join you at some point. Are you going to be out there again next week?
it's pretty rare we miss a Tuesday.
:thumbup:

Oct 29, 2014
:+1:

It is a wealth of info. Get you one of those bound composition notebooks and make a list of marina names, locations and phone numbers along your route...
Wo, Bet you were thrilled to find that the bill was only 75!

Yes, yes. I plan on making something similar to this for both courses before i decide which one to go with. I already have a good start on the great lakes. I'll post it when I'm done. The river seems a lot more straight forward. Both Literally and figuratively.

i have also never used a vhf radio, never navigated a lock or in/out of a large port. My first mate is even less experienced. i definitely realize my weaknesses, and plan on detailing out everything as much as possible. I have six months to do it. I think I'm off to a good start.

i took this quiz last night an scored about 80%. not too bad for only having spent about 20min on a trailered boat? I'm sure any one of you would ace it.
http://gewa.gsfc.nasa.gov/clubs/sailing/BASIC_SAILING_CLASS/class/exam_interactive.html

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2013
Sirius 22 Minneapolis
I have sailed the Great Lakes for many years and have also done some travel on the rivers. If you only have the summer I would go to the Lakes. The Mississippi for the most part will be motoring. It is interesting and quite beautiful...the best parts being in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Iowa. The current is not that strong above St Louis and not too much of a concern...there are only a few places where it might get up to 3-4 knots for short distances. Below St Louis to the Gulf I would not even attempt (no locks, more current) but you have the option of the TennTom route. I would do this route as part of the Great Loop if you have the time but one summer won't do it. A friend did the Loop on an Aquarius 23 with a 10hp outboard over a 10 month span leaving Minnesota in October.

One thing that gives me pause about your Great Lakes plan is your lack of sailing experience and unfamiliarity with a new to you boat. I am not sure a few days in the harbor is going to prepare you for this route. These may be Lakes but this is serious water. We don't have "prevailing" winds on the lakes so it can come from any direction at any time....it makes for steep blocky waves at times. Having sailed on east coast and Florida I feel the waves on the Lakes are often worse. Can you handle the boat under sail in complicated situations? Can your partner? You can't rely on the motor to bail you out of tricky situations. Hopping along the shore is not necessarily the safest route being that's where the hard "rocky bits" are. The weather can change quickly and put you on a lee shore a long way from an anchorage. How do you feel about sailing in 4-6 foot waves? You won't see that everyday but they will happen....maybe even bigger. I am not trying to scare or discourage you but you do have a very steep learning curve ahead.

If you want to get your feet wet in Superior my advice would be to go to the Apostle Islands instead of Duluth. You could stay in the marina at Washburn on Chequamegon Bay in more protected waters until you feel confident, plus you are not far from the islands if the weather looks good and you want to stretch your wings. Navigation is dead simple in the Apostles. At this point I would not recommend the Canadian North Shore until you have more experience. Once out of Thunder Bay you are in a remote, rugged wilderness with limited road access and few places to find goods and services. Anchorages are plentiful and not far apart and you will often have them to yourself...you have to be comfortable with solitude and self reliance. Fog is also more common up there.

Even the south shore is not easy. Useable anchorages can be widely spaced like some others have said. Get a copy of Bonnie Dahl's book The Superior Way for reference.

I think a mid May start on Superior is a bit optimistic. I can remember ice in the Apostle islands on Memorial Day one time. It can vary dramatically but generally it will be chilly sometimes even into early June. Watch the weather...you may get lucky but have a plan B.

The North Channel and Georgian Bay in Lake Huron is another highly recommended place to spend the summer. Warmer than Superior with much more boat traffic so you often meet people and spend time with others (this is often great for the novice). Most people you meet will be friendly and open. Navigation is more involved here as there are many more rocks and shoals to avoid than in Superior.

Since you have a trailer another option is to pick all the "choice plums" like the Apostles, sail to Isle Royale from Grand Portage MN, Thunder Bay, Door County, and the North Channel and Georgian Bay. Passing by the less interesting places at 55mph.:)

This pizza thing on Tuesdays sound like fun...I will have to check it out.

here are some links to my threads with lots of photos of Superior and Huron.

http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=165136

http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=155649

http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=156936

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
This pizza thing on Tuesdays sound like fun...I will have to check it out.
It's actually more of a beer thing. But you are very welcome to join us anytime!

Oct 29, 2014
Srust58; thats a lot of good info! Could i maybe get in contract with your friend who did the great loop? I'll pm you my email address.

One of the things i want to ask him is if he ever had to lower his standard rigging to go under any bridges. I imagine that this would be kind of a pain in the ass to do with o'day 25 in the water and with only 2 ppl.

Aug 19, 2013
Sirius 22 Minneapolis
Srust58; thats a lot of good info! Could i maybe get in contract with your friend who did the great loop? I'll pm you my email address.

One of the things i want to ask him is if he ever had to lower his standard rigging to go under any bridges. I imagine that this would be kind of a pain in the ass to do with o'day 25 in the water and with only 2 ppl.

From my recollection bridge clearance on the Mississippi River is 54 feet and on the TennTom it is 52 feet. Shouldn't be a problem. The jumping Asian carp may be a bigger problem. They were not an issue when I did my river trip.:D Passing through the locks is no big deal and after the first one you will get the hang of it. If some guy in a 14ft john boat can do it...you can do it. There is no charge...that's what we pay our taxes for.:D

If you plan on a mid May start on the river you may have higher water volume and current levels due to the spring thaw and rains. I did my trip in August when the river volume is likely to be lower. The actual level does not change a great deal in a normal year except when the snow melts in the spring. During the summer the spillways are used to control the pool level between locks. With a wet summer the spillways open letting the increased volume through and also increasing the current. When it's been dry the spillways adjust to contract the flow slowing the current but always keeping a certain level in the pool. I think the current may have averaged 1.5 knots on my trip with 3knots the most we saw in Rock Island for a few miles as we passed through the city. But it can vary from year to year so my experience may not be your experience. You will have to see what the spring and early summer bring.

This last summer with all the rain the Corps closed the locks in Minneapolis to traffic and left them open to get rid of the high water level. The water flowing through the locks was like a Class V rapids as if ripped through the locks. Some of the locks further down were also closed for periods of time.

Once you get a technique down two people should be able to raise and lower the mast. I helped a guy put his mast up on an Oday 25 in Little Current one time. We hit it off and spent two weeks cruising in Georgian Bay. I don't recall the set up details but it only took the two of us. It may have involved the winch on the trailer and another support pole so it may not be as easy doing it on the water. I am sure there is a youtube video out there for your particular boat.

My friend may have already left for the winter but I will see if I can track him down.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
One of your thoughts was to turn around at st louis. There is no place to dock in st louis. Last place is Alton Ill.

Aug 19, 2013
Sirius 22 Minneapolis
My friend who did the Loop is in St. Thomas for the winter and hard to get a hold off. He will be back in late March.

Oct 29, 2014
My partner and i have decided on the Mississippi, tenn-tom route. The great lakes would have just been more expensive than i was hoping. I would like to get up to the north channel at some point, but I'll save it for another year.

I got a chart of the upper Mississippi in the mail a few days ago, and now I'm looking for tenn-tom water way charts.

Is there a good schedule out there to see when/if some of these locks will be closed for maintenance? I read that last summer one of them closed for a month! I think i might just call every single one anyways.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
Know that the last fuel stop south of st louis is Hoppies and then its 250 miles to the next fuel supply.
Thats down the Miss, up the Ohio and then up the Tenn River.
Took us 4 days to make that run and you must anchor the first 3 nights. On the 4th nite we tied up at the Paducah town dock next to the 'no overnite docking' sign. The last of those 4 days was a 90' lift up to Lake Cumberland and into Green Turtle Marina.
Awesome trip running the rivers but you must be prepared.

Oct 29, 2014
Yeah, i have read a bit about this leg of the journey. Not only is it 250 miles, part of it is up steam as well. One thing i need to figure out is how far i can go per gal with a 9.9 evinrude and a 25' boat. I plan to sail as much as possible, but should still carry enough gas with me just in case.

also Thanks for the usace link.

Oct 29, 2014
From my recollection bridge clearance on the Mississippi River is 54 feet and on the TennTom it is 52 feet. Shouldn't be a problem. The jumping Asian carp may be a bigger problem. They were not an issue when I did my river trip.:D Passing through the locks is no big deal and after the first one you will get the hang of it. If some guy in a 14ft john boat can do it...you can do it. There is no charge...that's what we pay our taxes for.:D

If you plan on a mid May start on the river you may have higher water volume and current levels due to the spring thaw and rains. I did my trip in August when the river volume is likely to be lower. The actual level does not change a great deal in a normal year except when the snow melts in the spring. During the summer the spillways are used to control the pool level between locks. With a wet summer the spillways open letting the increased volume through and also increasing the current. When it's been dry the spillways adjust to contract the flow slowing the current but always keeping a certain level in the pool. I think the current may have averaged 1.5 knots on my trip with 3knots the most we saw in Rock Island for a few miles as we passed through the city. But it can vary from year to year so my experience may not be your experience. You will have to see what the spring and early summer bring.

This last summer with all the rain the Corps closed the locks in Minneapolis to traffic and left them open to get rid of the high water level. The water flowing through the locks was like a Class V rapids as if ripped through the locks. Some of the locks further down were also closed for periods of time.

Once you get a technique down two people should be able to raise and lower the mast. I helped a guy put his mast up on an Oday 25 in Little Current one time. We hit it off and spent two weeks cruising in Georgian Bay. I don't recall the set up details but it only took the two of us. It may have involved the winch on the trailer and another support pole so it may not be as easy doing it on the water. I am sure there is a youtube video out there for your particular boat.

My friend may have already left for the winter but I will see if I can track him down.
Lot of good info here. I don't have a set date to leave by. Realistically it probably won't be until at least June. I'll probably just keep an eye on river currents and leave when i feel it's safe enough. We don't have a lot of snow in MN right now, so I'm hoping it'll be a fairly dry spring. I won't know until may though.

Oct 29, 2014
My list on stuff to bring besides personal belongings. If anyone has anything to add please do so;

Tent
Stove
Rechargeable flashlight
12v spot light
Extra rope
Inflatable raft
Paddles
Long pole
Bear Mace
Binoculars
Good cooler
Extra gas cans
Collapsible cart
Good quality oil lamps
2 VHF radios
GPS cell phone
Spare anchor
Good knives
Solar panel to charge GPS/VHF
Rain gear
Mosquito net/bug spray
Nav charts (hard copy and pdf file)
List of locks, ports and their phone numbers.