What's Her Name?

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Different strokes for different folks... I think naming a vessel is as personal or impersonal as the individual wants it to be. Honestly, I've seen some pretty stupid boat names but I keep my opinions to myself because its so subjective; so essentially it might sound like a poor choice to me but to someone else it means something, so let it be.
With that said, I do take boat naming seriously as a part of nautical tradition. Personally, I like to avoid naming a vessel something that is cliché or has been done before, which includes not choosing a name someone else in my homeport already has. For those folks who have CG documented vessels I guess you really can't pick a name someone else already has (right?)
There are 'fun' names out here, and if your boat is for 'fun' than give it a fun name. There aggressive or intense names (think fighting spirit), so if you have race boat then go with that. For classic beauties, choose something classic/historic etc. There are famous boat names that I think belong only to that famous pedigree; so I won't be naming any of my vessels Ranger, Enterprise, Shamrock, Finiesterre, Dorade, or even Dove... that's just me. For large cruising boats, classic or otherwise, I think her name deserves class and grace, it evokes the presence you desire to express in the ports you will visit.
I have one other rule... I don't name vessels after my Mom. Sorry, just can't do it. I loved my Mom as much as anyone could, but look I don't have an Oedipus complex. I will love my boat probably in a more romantic way than I would say I loved my Mom... its just, different. Can't go there. BTW, that counts for wives too... Sorry babe, nothing is forever (except for my mistress, LOL).

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
For those folks who have CG documented vessels I guess you really can't pick a name someone else already has (right?)
Sure you can. Just pick a different “Home Port” even if it’s land locked in the middle of a desert.
My boat proudly says Bellingham even tho the last time it was there was the day I took possession

Mahalo

Dec 24, 2017
O’day 27 Oklahoma City
After finding out a lot of lies that the seller told me about our boat I want to change the name. So I’m thinking of a few. Wondering if any of you have any thoughts on the following. I have them in the order I like best

Knotty Pelican
The Whatsit
Britannia
Old Salt

Any thoughts?
I did design something for the Whatsit but not sure people will be able to read it

Attachments

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
After finding out a lot of lies that the seller told me about our boat I want to change the name. So I’m thinking of a few. Wondering if any of you have any thoughts on the following. I have them in the order I like best

Knotty Pelican
The Whatsit
Britannia
Old Salt

Any thoughts?
I did design something for the Whatsit but not sure people will be able to read it
I don’t get “The Whatsit” but obviously you do. If you want the name readable then redo the graphic. It is way cool. Just not readable. If readability doesn’t matter to you then leave it as is.

Dec 24, 2017
O’day 27 Oklahoma City
I don’t get “The Whatsit” but obviously you do. If you want the name readable then redo the graphic. It is way cool. Just not readable. If readability doesn’t matter to you then leave it as is.
Exactly. Thanks. I have about 50 50 that can read it and that can’t. But thinking the Whatsit really isn’t a good name. I make these clay figures called whatsits. All different. It’s become my trademark so was thinking the boat too

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Some names just don't belong on a boat! I was offshore sailing from Beaufort SC to St. Mary's Georgia a few years ago and heard a USCG radio transmission on a vessel in distress about 12 miles due west of me so I turned that way and radioed the CG that I was making best speed in the direction of the boat in question. The boat's name was "It's Going Down". Talk about confusion in the conversation! It actually was going down and since I could only make 7 knots or so in the direction of the boat the CG got there before me so I turned back towards St. Mary's. I thought to myself "who the heck names their boat It's Going Down." A stinkpot of course so that explains it.