What's Her Name?

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
What a beautiful Boat ! Wish I was on it right now. It is cloudy and about to turn very cold. Have a great time in
Charleston....and please, have the best Christmas ever with your family in Chareston! Pat and Heather
Won't be that long! Counting the days. Gotta get through tax season first though. ;-)

You guy's have a Merry Christmas too!

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
My Grand Father was Hugh W Hadley. At 17 he earned one of two appointments to the US Naval Academy from Oregon in 1922. Served in the USNavy till Sept 5 1942 where he was lost on the USS Little while they were protecting the Marines on Guadalcanal. His leadership was recognized in 1945 when the Navy launched DD774 the USS Hadley. I thought I would honor my Mom’s father and name my boat the SV Hadley. Then my daughter told me the boat’s name would also help call my new granddaughter to dinner.

A name joining generations on the sea.

Dec 24, 2017
O’day 27 Oklahoma City
Ours is currently named “Impulse”. My wife says the names perfect for me. Thinking of renaming it

Last edited:

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
This statement pretty much sums up any answer you're gonna get here. Never argue with the admiral.
There is no admiral aboard our boat. We are partners and a team, working together to accomplish whatever we set out to do, be it sail to the next island or repair the refrigeration.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
There is no admiral aboard our boat. We are partners and a team, working together to accomplish whatever we set out to do, be it sail to the next island or repair the refrigeration.
She’s looking over your shoulder, right?

Jan 22, 2008
Montgomery 17, Venture of Newport, Mirror sailing dinghy, El Toro sailing dinghy Mound, MN -- Lake Minnetonka
I have CHIQUITA (Venture 23), MONITA (Montgomery 17), JADITA (Mirror sailing dinghy), POQUITA (El Toro dinghy), and LIMONITA (Force 5).

CHIQUITA was the original. I have owned her for 40 years. MONITA and JADITA were named after my granddaughters Monet and Jade. POQUITA is my smallest sailboat and LIMONITA is lime green.

Nov 9, 2008
Pearson-O'Day 290 Portland Maine
Two boats. Sparrow and Island Time. I'll leave it to you to make the connections!
Captn Jack.jpg
IMG_0607.JPG
IMG_1390.JPG
DSCN1671.JPG

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
My Dad names his Santana 27 Var after the Norse godess of piece in matrimony. I named my first “big” boat a Catalina 22 Njord after the Norse god of wind and seas.

My current boat I just kept the name. I liked it and it’s to much work and expense to change it ( CG documented, side vinyl stickers .....). Mahalo

Mahalo

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2008
Pearson 422 FL & CT
Named my Pearson Maya. Sanskrit that translates as illusion or magic.

Named the dinghy The Night.

Oct 31, 2017
Catalina 22 8728 Trailered
I had been seeing a beer commercial talk about "spreadsheet time" being "sad hour" and after working so hard and getting out of debt and not really having something else that defines me, decided to take a sailing class. After completing that, it was impossible to get any time under sail in their rentals so I decided to just buy one and really learn it. Big decision, so I named her after my justification: "One Life".

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Name is Finisterre..In Latin, it means End of Land or as commonly known, Lands End. Back when the earth used to be flat, Finisterre was the most western place on land before the sea dropped off. Also, I think it is where the Camino pilgrimage ends in Northern Spain and begins in France. My wife hiked it just before we bought the boat..

Jan 8, 2015
MacGregor 26S, Goman Express 30 Kerr Reservoir
My wife named our new boat "Seahorse". Combining her passion for horses and my strong desire to return to the sea.
Coincidentally that was the name of the submarine I was stationed on while in the Navy.