What's Her Name?

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
Hey Guys,

Good morning everyone! I've seen a lot of the fun subject-questions some of you post, and I think it's a great idea to learn about how everyone is different and how one sailor can relate, yet differ from another! Thus, here's the question for today: What is your boat's name? I have a Sunfish named Mako, and my Catalina 25 is names Valiant (we name all the big boats in Sea Scouts after Star Trek ships, so I decided to keep tradition rolling).

Nov 1, 2017
Both of my boats came with their names and I kept them. The first one was "Significant Other." I always wanted to name the dinghy "Insignificant Other."
That's so awesome, oh my goodness...

Nov 1, 2017
Marguerite - name came with the boat! She's been good to me, but if I were to rename her, it might be Kap's Toy.
I see she's a Pearson 37; very nice boat, sir! I have a close friend who owns one and he says they tend to be quite fast! I also love the new name idea; I think Kap Gun would be fun, too!

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
I see she's a Pearson 37; very nice boat, sir! I have a close friend who owns one and he says they tend to be quite fast! I also love the new name idea; I think Kap Gun would be fun, too!
Yes, Simon, she is a fast boat! In the two boats, it's a race department, I've taken on a 44' Luder's yawl (had crew that day), a J-boat that had too much canvas up (solo), and most recently a schooner. The schooner spanked me downwind, but when we both went to a close reach, I spanked him. The feathering prop also helps. Tks for the compliment.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017
Yes, Simon, she is a fast boat! In the two boat's, it's a race department, I've taken on a 44' Luder's yawl (had crew that day), a J-boat that had too much canvas up (solo), and most recently a schooner. The schooner spanked me downwind, but when we both went to a close reach, I spanked him. The feathering prop also helps. Tks for the compliment.
Yes, schooners are tough to beat on beam-broad reaches and runs, but those wider-hulled sloops nearly always have the advantage upwind! Feathering props are amazing when they actually work...our Sea Scout Ship owns a Tartan 30 I'm still working on getting into race spec., and we've had to replace the folding prop because it locks up either open or closed, grows barnacles and nasty stuff on it and then it can't reopen or close anymore without hauling her out via crane-lift; at that point, ya might as well give her a hull cleaning!

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Current boat name is LakeShark. However the first boat I lived on was named Bull Ship and the dinghy was named Chicken Ship. Boat came with the name and the dingy well... it just fit. But that was years ago now and I would never recommend it. Not only would some consider it offencive but it also led to some difficult radio conversations with Harbor Patrol, the US Navy, and the US coast guard in San Diego but those are different stories.

Nov 1, 2017
Current boat name is LakeShark. However the first boat I lived on was named Bull Ship and the dinghy was named Chicken Ship. Boat came with the name and the dingy well... it just fit. But that was years ago now and I would never recommend it. Not only would some consider it offencive but it also led to some difficult radio conversations with Harbor Patrol, the US Navy, and the US coast guard in San Diego but those are different stories.
Oh gosh XD I would imagine! We all learn from our experiences, I suppose! ;)

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Fun names for us = Paloma (dove to us, but translated as "pigeon" by a person with a more literal grasp of Spanish, I guess); Linde (a small boat which came to us with the name of the PO's wife on the transom. So romantic that we chose not to change it); Seahorse (a name that we had changed from "Aquavite" and actually the name showed our pull between the sea and the animals on the farm.........Much preferred over Seapig, Seagoose, or Seaguinea chicken!); Breezin' Up (named after a Winslow Homer painting that my wife and I like); DayDream (an Oday whose name we changed from "For Pleasure Only")

Yes, I know this thread was unraveled in the past, but I still enjoy reading names and reasons for them.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Well she came with the name Sapphire, her midnight blue hull just fit the name that, and we closed the deal on her on September 1st, and you guessed it the birth stone of September is.......yes Sapphire, how could we ever rename her after that.

Last edited:
May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Fraulein II is her name. Bought her from an old German guy almost twenty one years ago. Kept the name since she was already documented and I'm a bit superstitious. Never did find out about Fraulein I, however.

nat55

Feb 11, 2017
Gulfstar 1979 Gulfstar 37 BELFAST
When we bought her she was a him, ABU (meaning "father of" in Arabic), well that just wouldn't do...we re-named and re-gendered her to MAIA, which is why I suspect we have had issues with the tranny. :)

MAIA in mythology is one of the Pleiades....not to mention that she has quite a nice figure.....

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Whe we got her she was called the Linda Loca (crazy Linda).
10641297_495556610578501_5359363559771706072_n.jpg

We renamed her the Stargazer Since my son is studying astrophysics.
2014-12-27 16.02.57.jpg

and I am a huge SciFi fanatic,.
Stargazerlarge.jpg