What size gooseneck to boom pin for 23.5?

Aug 18, 2019
Hunter 23.5 Dania Beach, Florida
What diameter pin is used on the H23.5 to connect the boom to the mast? I’ve tried a couple bolts but a 3/8 rattles and 7/16 wont fit. I’m considering drilling out the hole to accommodate the 7/16.

Aug 18, 2019
Are metric parts common on Hunter boats? I’ll give it a whirl before I drill.

P100D

Jul 24, 2016
Hunter 23 Nashville TN Percy Priest lake
Yes for sure. Everywhere but the good old USA . We'll measure things as 2 ducks tall before using the metric system. Lol

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Calgary, Canada
Very gracious offer! I’ll take you up on it. If I figure it out beforehand I’ll be sure to post.
My boat is 90 minutes away. My trip to the lake today has been delayed until tomorrow, or perhaps until Tue or Wed.

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
The photo doesn't match my pin at all. Mine is much shorter, smooth with no threads, with a hole drilled at one end for a split ring or cotter pin.
Ahh, there are two pins. One for the vertical hinge and one for the horizontal.

Jun 2, 2004
It measured 10.04 mm. That's not very close to any imperial fraction so it seems it may well be a metric size: 10mm.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
If it’s a Selden rig, it’s metric.
But rather than guessing, you could save save yourself some worry and time and expense by measuring the hole with a caliper. A useful digital one is under $15, and you’ll use it frequently. IMO, every boat owner should have one.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2004
Bill

Your original post mentioned you tried a couple different size bolts. The mention of a bolt reminds me of this story. We were on a H270 in the middle of Haro Straight, between the US and Canada, when we heard a little tinkle sound of metal falling on fiberglass and immediately after the boom came loose and started thrashing about. The boom was attached to the gooseneck with a bolt and simple nut. If you can't find the proper pin with a drilled hole for a cotter pin or split ring, at least use a lock nut!

Aug 18, 2019
Bill

Your original post mentioned you tried a couple different size bolts. The mention of a bolt reminds me of this story. We were on a H270 in the middle of Haro Straight, between the US and Canada, when we heard a little tinkle sound of metal falling on fiberglass and immediately after the boom came loose and started thrashing about. The boom was attached to the gooseneck with a bolt and simple nut. If you can't find the proper pin with a drilled hole for a cotter pin or split ring, at least use a lock nut!

Thanks

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
I’m on my 23.5 now. My measurement looks like 0.5”. I’m using the ruler on the side of a leather man. I tried taking a pic but I can’t get the measurement marks to show up. It’s a black leather man. 3/8” looks way to small. My boat is a ‘95.