What make/size of Anchor for 2005 Hunter 33?

Jul 9, 2015
Catalina 34 Mk II Toronto
Hi - I am doing some work for a client with a 2005 Hunter 33. When they bought the boat, the PO gave them an anchor which was way too big for the anchor roller - the tip of the anchor was hitting the hull. The length of the roller on the '05 33 is pretty short. Does anyone have a line on an anchor which will fit on the roller of an '05 33 without the tip coming back and scratching the hull? Thanks in advance.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
All sorts of angles to this problem. Am I right in saying you're a ship's fitter ?

IF the setup is anything like my 1999 Hunter 310, the anchor mount is made for a Danforth anchor which is a PIECE OF CRAP in my very humble opinion :biggrin:.

I changed over to a claw anchor (vastly superior) but then I found I was hitting the FG bow when I deploy. The solution to this was to fabricate and mount a deflection plate as shown:

This is the original setup and no hitting of the bow:
100_0041 fig 1.JPG

This shows the claw anchor and deflection plate:
000_0103 fig 4.jpg

Without seeing what is currently installed, perhaps you can sell your client on having you fab a deflection plate for him and then he can decide what is the best anchor for his area of useage.

The top is hot bent, hence the need for "L" SS or it will corrode severely given it's location. The 2-1/2" piece is bolted to the underside of the existing anchor mount with four 1/8" machine screws.
1635359960590.png

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
the anchor mount is made for a Danforth anchor which is a PIECE OF CRAP in my very humble opinion
Hi Ralph, did you mean the anchor mount or the Danforth anchor as a piece of crap? Just wondering, because our boat came with a Danforth anchor and have used it hundreds of times over the years. We consider it a very reliable, capable and dependable anchor. We've even observed many large ships with Danforth designed anchors.

Jan 4, 2006
Hi Terry, you've been very lucky over the years and have led a blessed life. It's either a strong religious belief or just plain blind luck but whatever it is, I suggest you keep doing it as long as you have a Danforth anchor.

For about 5 years after I got the boat, I slipped, slid, and just plain lost my hold with most anchorings with the Danforth. Always let go in the middle of the night. Often we posted anchor watches when we didn't even have a trace of wind. It's just what you do when you anchor out, right:cuss: ?

Several times, over the years, we got into conversations with other sailboaters and they expressed a lack of confidence with Danforth. Same tales as what I had experienced. So I decided to try a claw anchor. I couldn't believe the difference. Now when we backed down on the anchor, it grabbed instantly rather than round, and round, and round until we caught something which just might hold, maybe. At least until 03:00. Thought we were going to get rolled over one night when we really started sailing at anchor but the claw never gave an inch. I'm getting so bad with that anchor I often forget to back down when anchoring. It never misses. That's always met with hoots, hollers, and derogatory remarks from the crew and I finally back down.

But nothing is all bad. I have a Danforth (as a spare) that has never been wet and in storage in the starbd. lazzerette. Hardly takes up any room at all when stored flat :biggrin:.

Ut oh. You said "Anchor."
Got to wonder what @shemandr is going on about :rolleyes: ?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The length of the roller on the '05 33 is pretty short. Does anyone have a line on an anchor which will fit on the roller of an '05 33 without the tip coming back and scratching the hull?
There are two ways of resolving such an issue.

You can seek that perfect sized anchor that may or may not be an anchor that will hold the boat in a sea condition you plan to sail...

Or you can modify the anchor roller on the boat, after discovering that it is "pretty short".

I have a dog in this fight... I bought a 35 lb Mantus anchor because of it's design features and holding power. I then bought a Mantus Bow Roller because of it's length and structure to attach to my boat.

And to solve the issue of keeping the anchor from "tipping" the bow of the boat, I installed an "Anchor Guard". The anchor retrieves up onto the roller and the anchor tip snuggles into the Anchor Guard, keeping the bow of the boat from getting dinged and chipped.

1635437693261.png

The bow of SV Hadley
1635437647383.jpeg

I have no interest or affiliation with Mantus. It is a solution that solved my problem

A third possibility is to wrap the bow of the boat in stainless steel. I have seen some boats with a stainless steel guard on their bow to take-up the banging of the anchor - protecting the gelcoat. I have not seen what the gelcoat looks like when you remove the protective covering. I will bet that it is dinged...

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Possibly Terry... Or... that is an old picture from 2019... or...
I am a tag denier...
You can't tag me.....

Jan 4, 2006
Nothing to do with; using proper anchoring techniques remains key.
As you well know, I'm extremely averse to disagreeing with you :biggrin: but when I used the Danforth, I followed every rule in the book and it frequently failed. Now using the claw, it's just "drop the anchor and play out the line'. When we back down, the claw always grabs and the rode snaps us back like an elastic band. Every time.

Jan 4, 2006
Brought my Danforth and CQR to the scrap metal site when I bought my Rocna. Never regretted that.
Good Choice.

Did you notice that those two anchors have moving parts ? Ever wonder if that's why so many people knock those two.

Last edited:
May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
You should see his drivers license!!!!:wow3:
Oh we do tend to drift on this forum at times. . . when the weather is gloomy and we are bored.

Hi - I am doing some work for a client with a 2005 Hunter 33. When they bought the boat, the PO gave them an anchor which was way too big for the anchor roller - the tip of the anchor was hitting the hull. The length of the roller on the '05 33 is pretty short. Does anyone have a line on an anchor which will fit on the roller of an '05 33 without the tip coming back and scratching the hull? Thanks in advance.
@geoffreykwright, make/model and a picture of the current bow roller would go a long way in the members providing sensible advice. FWIW I have an Anchor Lift bow roller with a Manson Supreme anchor - 35 lbs. I do have to take care when the anchor swings and rotates into position as I bring it up and into the bow roller. My H33 is a tad newer thus the bow is a little more plumb than the 2005 but knock on wood no gel coat chips . . . yet. I have had very good success (luck) with the Manson holding but if shopping today I would seriously look at a Sarca Excel anchor - 16kg (Anchor Right) or maybe even a Kingston Anchor - 35 lbs manufactured in your own backyard would fit the bill.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
with anchors, size maters, :cool:
so what weight were each of your anchors? are they the same lbs?
what are the facts? we got your opinions:stir:

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
My 1980 Hunter 33 displaces only 10,600 Lb.s. I use a 22 Lb. Rocna. As these scoop type anchors bury themselves when a force is applied on the rode instead of plowing along the sea bottom, weight is not as critical as with some other designs.