What kind of propane regulator to use?

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Now back to my parts search. This doesn't look promising so far.
Maybe chuck the super safety device and go back to a normal connection. My propane delivery hose cannot be cut without a sharp axe so I'm not worried about excessive flow from a hose failure. The range, much weaker components in there. The only way something can happen is if you come under attack while you are cooking. The solenoid is always closed otherwise.

If you really want to go overboard, how about connecting your gas solenoid to your propane alarm after getting rid of the excess flow trip device ?

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Maybe chuck the super safety device and go back to a normal connection. My propane delivery hose cannot be cut without a sharp axe so I'm not worried about excessive flow from a hose failure. The range, much weaker components in there. The only way something can happen is if you come under attack while you are cooking. The solenoid is always closed otherwise.

If you really want to go overboard, how about connecting your gas solenoid to your propane alarm after getting rid of the excess flow trip device ?
Actually everything is connected and working properly and I am down to getting a replacement oven thermostat/control. Unfortunately, I'm being told that a replacement doesn't exist except from a junkyard, and although a rebuild of my bad control *might* be possible, the time required to have that done is 16 weeks at a cost of $250-300.

So what I have done is removed the defective control and I will now plug the gas supply that fed it. The supply is just s flat plate with a plain hole for the gas and two tapped holes to secure the control with a gasket. So tomorrow I am going to the hardware store and buy a 1/4-28 tap and a short screw with a rubber washer. I will tap the hole (already measured, near perfect tap size for 1/4-28) and then seal the hole with a screw, washer, and maybe pipe joint compound. This will allow us to use the cook-top burners for the rest of this season.

The pix below show the removed thermostat control, top and bottom, and the gas inlet mounting area on the thermostat. Also the corresponding gas supply seat with the center hole that I am going to tap and seal.

2024_0830_175158.JPG2024_0830_175148.JPG2024_0830_175048.JPG2024_0830_175100.JPG

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Rich
SureMarine up here in the PacificNW woods is the Seaward distributor. I called them and Todd shared that the OEM parts are pretty much gone as Seaward has been closed for a while.

He said he may have a remanufactured part. If you send him an image of the oven control and any other parts you seek, he would see if he has a replacement.

Todd@SureMarine.com

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Well, you are making progress in diagnosing the problem(s)…odd to have 2 failures, but I guess it can happen.

I took a few photos of my LPG tank setup today…

My regulator is from Fisher Governor Co. and appears to be a model Y200.
IMG_2998.jpeg IMG_2997.jpeg

I could not find anything on the model…except this chart…which lists a Y200N or Y200H…but not a Y200…
IMG_3484.jpeg

My pressure gauge reads about 135 and it was around 80F when I took this shot. That lines up to around 26 or 27C.
And correlates pretty well with Ralph’s chart.
IMG_2999.jpeg

Just a shot of my LPG locker, which is VERY deep, and I just keep a 5# bottle down in there. I have replaced the little pig tail hose at least once…the last time I determined that it had a check valve in it.
IMG_3001.jpeg

One issue I have to fix eventually is a quick disconnect a PO installed that T’s off the propane line for a BBQ grill. He mounted a quick disconnect in the engine control panel in the cockpit. I replaced the old, cracked rubber hose with the quick connect male fitting, and now just connect the grill to a spare LPG tank when I want to grill. But I still need to remove that T and the line with the female quick disconnect fitting…:yikes:

I leave the tank valve open, but always have the LPG solenoid off unless I am using the stove/oven.

Always something…

Greg

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Well, you are making progress in diagnosing the problem(s)…odd to have 2 failures, but I guess it can happen.

I leave the tank valve open, but always have the LPG solenoid off unless I am using the stove/oven.

Always something…

Greg
I have found that problems that have more than a single fault are a bear to diagnose and fix. But at least I am down to the last fault - I hope! -

I also leave my propane tank valve open and rely on the solenoid valve to shut off the gas. I may rethink that practice- at least when leaving the boat.

Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 340 0 Wickford, RI
Rich,
I’ve been reading your post, and know you’ve pretty much fixed your system, but I was at my boat early this morning, so I took a few photos of my 2000 340 propane locker for you to look at. Can’t hurt.
The tank at the top right of the photo supplies my Magma Grill on deck. That‘s what the long looped around hose is for.
The tank at the bottom left of the photo supplies my galley stove. That is what the pictures of the gauge show when I open the valve on the tank. This tank has about 1/4 left in it (+/-).
I also have the original manuals that came with my boat if you need or want to look at.
The Trident Gas manual has set ups, model numbers, connection fittings etc.
The Force 10 manual is pretty much for that model but is detailed as well.
Hope this helps.
Oh, and yeah….you should be shutting the valves when you leave. Good practice to be in.

Attachments

Jan 4, 2006
Actually everything is connected and working properly and I am down to getting a replacement oven thermostat/control.
Yes, that little detail hit me about 10 min. after I drove away from the house after replying in post #43. The oven stat was the last remaining problem.

I don't hold out much hope for your repairing the stat in your picture. The bulb and capilliary tube are filled with a high vapour pressure liquid, often ethyl ether. The whole controller is assembled with the bulb immersed in a dry CO2 and alcohol bath to avoid having everything push itself apart.
Why can I remember all this crap from half a century ago but can't remember what day it is today ?

Hopefully Todd@SureMarine.com can find something, anything that might work.

Ever think of converting the oven portion of the range into a wood burning oven ?
1725077721700.png

Only problem I can see is hauling out the ashes each morning.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I think I see a light at the end of this tunnel. With the oven thermostat removed, I bought a tap to thread the hole in the gas plenum so that I can use a screw and sealant to plug it. Now that I have done that and tested for leaks, I lit the burners.
The three burners on the cook top are now fully functional. We have no oven, but at least we can make coffee and cook meals.
I spoke with Todd at SureMarine and I set him pictures of the control that I have. He replied within 30 minutes and told me that he has 5 re-manufactured thermostats in stock and sent me pictures of them.
Now that we are in a holiday weekend, I will contact him on Tuesday and have him send one to me. If it is absolutely identical, then the installation should be under an hour. :)
2024_0831_141018.JPG

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Ever think of converting the oven portion of the range into a wood burning oven ?
Only problem I can see is hauling out the ashes each morning.
Gee, Ralph, I never considered that solution. I do try to think outside the box, but you are thinking outside the insane asylum.

However, speaking of wood stoves, back in 1996 my wife and I took a 7-day cruise on a Maine windjammer out of Rockland, ME named the Stephen Tabor. That vessel actually had a wood burning stove (the only stove) and the cook prepared all of the meals for the 22 passengers and 5 crew. And the last night was a full-blown Thanksgiving turkey dinner with all the fixings. And each morning the passengers would take a pitcher from their cabin and the cook would fill it with hot water for washing up and shaving. Mid-week they had a setup that we could take a brief shower on deck! It was a cruise to remember.

• Wow
Jan 4, 2006
but you are thinking outside the insane asylum.
Oh c'mon, just outside their front door at worst.

Mid-week they had a setup that we could take a brief shower on deck!
Did they sell tickets to the other guests to see the shower show ?

It was a cruise to remember.
I can well imagine. I'm afraid mine are a somewhat less memorable on cruise ships. My son works for Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines so the family piles on for free. Just an excuse for adding on another 20+ pounds.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Rich,
I’ve been reading your post, and know you’ve pretty much fixed your system, but I was at my boat early this morning, so I took a few photos of my 2000 340 propane locker for you to look at. Can’t hurt.
The tank at the top right of the photo supplies my Magma Grill on deck. That‘s what the long looped around hose is for.
The tank at the bottom left of the photo supplies my galley stove. That is what the pictures of the gauge show when I open the valve on the tank. This tank has about 1/4 left in it (+/-).
I also have the original manuals that came with my boat if you need or want to look at.
The Trident Gas manual has set ups, model numbers, connection fittings etc.
The Force 10 manual is pretty much for that model but is detailed as well.
Hope this helps.
Oh, and yeah….you should be shutting the valves when you leave. Good practice to be in.
It looks like your propane locker will hold a 20# tank, but you have two smaller tanks installed. Assuming that you added the second tank, why didn't you just tee the output with a hand valve with a hose to the grill?
I use 1# tanks on my grill, but I bought the tanks from Flame King and they are designed to be re-fill-able. I refill them with a simple adapter and valve at home from a 20# tank. The advantage of this system for me is that I have the convenience of small tanks, I don't need to use the cook stove tank for the BBQ, and I don't have a safe space to carry another small tank. Plus with an adapter I can attach a 1# tank to my galley stove if I run out of propane in my main tank. Refills of the 1# tank only cost 50-60 cents.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Oh c'mon, just outside their front door at worst.

Did they sell tickets to the other guests to see the shower show ?

I can well imagine. I'm afraid mine are a somewhat less memorable on cruise ships. My son works for Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines so the family piles on for free. Just an excuse for adding on another 20+ pounds.
No tickets, but several strained necks from looking. :yikes:
Lucky you with your RC connection. My wife and I cruise every year on RC - Diamond Plus level. You do have to exercise restraint when eating, or you can easily load on some serious tonnage.

Jan 4, 2006
My wife and I cruise every year on RC - Diamond Plus level.
Wow, Diamond Plus level. I once knew a guy who's bartender's brother's wife had an affair with some guy who was a Diamond Plus member but I've never known one directly.

Do you ever get up this way for the Alaska cruises in the summer ? My wife used to go every year with a few friends for some 25 years. The cruise terminal is a 20 minute drive from our place. Unfortunately you can't accumulate cruises points when you travel on the welfare plan. The rest of the year I never knew where in the world she was.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
We have done the cruise /train event about 7 years ago. It was nice because it was so different from Caribbean cruises that we take yearly. We often don't even get off the ship in ports because we've been there times before. We just like the ship-board experience.
Another cruise well worth taking is the one that transits the Panama Canal. Very interesting.

Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 340 0 Wickford, RI
Rich,
Glad to see your up and running again. At least on our boat, Not being able to cook is just unthinkable.
You can’t see from my photo, but the locker has 2 circular recessed depressions in the base. Designed for 2 tanks. The larger tank would sit proud of the recesses and then the hatch cover won’t close and latch.
As it is now the hatch just clears the top of the tanks.
The grill hose is a bit too long, but not by much.
Enjoy the rest of the summer and the nice hot cup of coffee on a crisp morning.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Royal Caribbean?!! Big Cruise Ships !!¿

Yuck.

I have a solution for you guys..