What conditions can a water ballast boat sail in?

Aug 9, 2020
None yet None yet SF Bay
to y'all

I am so appreciative of all of the information that has been shared. I definitely have a better sense of the Hunter WB boats. As a nube, I don't understand what the term "tender" means. I thought it was the boat one tows behind another boat. How would "Tender" manifest itself? is a Compact 23/IV tender? Is tender a spectrum character or more discrete?

thanks again from the nube.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
to y'all

I am so appreciative of all of the information that has been shared. I definitely have a better sense of the Hunter WB boats. As a nube, I don't understand what the term "tender" means. I thought it was the boat one tows behind another boat. How would "Tender" manifest itself? is a Compact 23/IV tender? Is tender a spectrum character or more discrete?

thanks again from the nube.
quick to heal or tippy

Aug 12, 2018
Hunter 26 Carter Lake, Colorado
I've been pulling mine with ballast and draining when parked on flat ground while I drop the mast, as when I tried opening the valves first some water poured out the top vent hole. It's a steep ramp and I'd rather keep everything dry as possible.
Seems like this could create a mess on the ground for yourself and others, especially if it’s a dirt parking area.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Don't move the boat on the trailer unless the tank is either full or empty. The sudden movement of the water in the tank can do some serious damage. It'd be like dropping a 500# weight on the inside of the boat. When the tank is full there is no room for the water to move so not an issue.

May 21, 2020
hunter 260 long island
was just out this weekend on my Hunter 260.... blowing 15-20 with gusts higher... reefed the main and it was a blast.