Weekend projects in my Laguna 26

Aug 10, 2020
Catalina C25 3559 Rocky Mount
Looks great! Did you laminate the new bulkheads?
they are slide in on this one. More of a partition, not structural like on the s2 we have been talking about. This is a Laguna 26. chainplates bolted to the hull. I considered leaving the port bulkhead out completely on the port side to make it feel more open and just installing the compression post. My daughter didn't care for that idea, as it would leave the head open....

We put a pen and paper to it. I have just under $1200 in this project including purchasing it (boat, motor, and trailer) sales tax, reg, and materials. I can't wait to get it on the water this spring. It's a massive upgrade from my sc22. The S2 we've been discussing goes under the knife next!

Aug 10, 2020
I got my wood bits back on the deck this afternoon. I removed the mast completely yesterday to service the mast head, clean, and rewire it.

I still have some small bits to finish in the cabin. I have to wire it still as well. Other than nav lights there will be couple interior LEDs , I am keeping it quite simple.

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Be cautious if removing a bulkhead as it may be there for structural purposes to support the deck. Good job so far. Suggest tapping over those deck holes in the event of rain or snow. It is good to see your progress and asking questions. As a former dealer taking trades, I too refurbished sailboats and they never stayed around long. Keep up the great work in progress

Aug 10, 2020
Be cautious if removing a bulkhead as it may be there for structural purposes to support the deck. Good job so far. Suggest tapping over those deck holes in the event of rain or snow. It is good to see your progress and asking questions. As a former dealer taking trades, I too refurbished sailboats and they never stayed around long. Keep up the great work in progress
It gets tarped when I am not working on it.

this site has been a wealth of information.

I can't wait to wrap this project up and put it on the lake. My next project boat is a bit more in depth, but should be worth it in the end.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I got my wood bits back on the deck this afternoon. I removed the mast completely yesterday to service the mast head, clean, and rewire it.

I still have some small bits to finish in the cabin. I have to wire it still as well. Other than nav lights there will be couple interior LEDs , I am keeping it quite simple.
Lubricating the masthead and track made an enormous difference for me. Before we had to winch the main up the last 1/4 of the way. The last few inches were usually so tough that we said screw it. Now we usually dont need to use the winch. I would recommend giving the track a good cleaning before lubing it. There was a lot of dirt on the slides at the end of this last season

Was it difficult to put the wooden handrails back on?

Aug 10, 2020
Lubricating the masthead and track made an enormous difference for me. Before we had to winch the main up the last 1/4 of the way. The last few inches were usually so tough that we said screw it. Now we usually dont need to use the winch. I would recommend giving the track a good cleaning before lubing it. There was a lot of dirt on the slides at the end of this last season
handles went back on easily after figuring out their correct positions. I had to drill out the plugs to hold the machine screws so I could spin the nuts off on a couple of them.

I am probably replacing the sheaves in the masthead and redrilling for larger pins. The holes have worn a lot.

Good advice on the track. I just dealt with that on my sc22. It is amazing how much better they work when cleaned. What did you use for lube? I just used silicone spray.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
handles went back on easily after figuring out their correct positions. I had to drill out the plugs to hold the machine screws so I could spin the nuts off on a couple of them.
I have a feeling these things are installed by hand with little precision so all the bolts must line up with their original holes. So far all of mine that aren't glued with 5200 came off pretty easy. Fingers crossed for the rest

I am probably replacing the sheaves in the masthead and redrilling for larger pins. The holes have worn a lot.

Good advice on the track. I just dealt with that on my sc22. It is amazing how much better they work when cleaned. What did you use for lube? I just used silicone spray.
I used the water resistant bearing grease that I use for my trailer on the sheeves. They're the originals and they did have a small amount of play in them. They made a horrible screeching sound before

For the track I just used some WD40 branded PTFE Dry Lube. We took a paper towel and the can and went down the track. There was a lot of dirt that wouldve stained the sail on the cars at the end of the season. It took about 40 minutes to tediously clean all of them. I def shouldve cleaned the track beforehand

Aug 10, 2020
I have a feeling these things are installed by hand with little precision so all the bolts must line up with their original holes. So far all of mine that aren't glued with 5200 came off pretty easy. Fingers crossed for the rest

I used the water resistant bearing grease that I use for my trailer on the sheeves. They're the originals and they did have a small amount of play in them. They made a horrible screeching sound before

For the track I just used some WD40 branded PTFE Dry Lube. We took a paper towel and the can and went down the track. There was a lot of dirt that wouldve stained the sail on the cars at the end of the season. It took about 40 minutes to tediously clean all of them. I def shouldve cleaned the track beforehand
My grab handles were obviously hand positioned and drilled as well.... Everything is +/- .75"

Yesterday I got the front 4ft of bottom paint scraped off. I thinks that's about an 8th of the bottom.... Lots if scraping to go. I was going to sand it a bit and recoat it, but it has 35yr of various shades of blue and brown bottom paint that is literally falling off.

What is your project boat? Is this the one with the saildrive we have discussed?

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
My grab handles were obviously hand positioned and drilled as well.... Everything is +/- .75"

Yesterday I got the front 4ft of bottom paint scraped off. I thinks that's about an 8th of the bottom.... Lots if scraping to go. I was going to sand it a bit and recoat it, but it has 35yr of various shades of blue and brown bottom paint that is literally falling off.

What is your project boat? Is this the one with the saildrive we have discussed?
4ft isn't bad for a days work. It took me a few months to get the topside paint off of the bottom of my last boat. Last owner clearly didnt read the can before painting. I have a tub of Total Boat's stripper that's never been opened. PM me with an offer if your interested. Trying to clear out space in the shop.

I have an O'Day 25 with a saildrive. It's a never ending source of projects

Aug 10, 2020
Bottom is mostly scraped off. I started sanding and made it about 20% of the way this evening. Found a blister.... But that's to be expected.

The interior is assembled other than a few small bits and cushions. All deck hardware other than 2 tracks and 2 deck organizers have installed. Wire, lights and bulkhead connector came in last week. Engine is off and at my shop to clean up and service.

I still need to order a few bits and it needs a ton more labor invested. Progress as planned though.

Attachments

Aug 10, 2020
Looks great! :beer:
Thank you sir. Varnish isn't my thing, but it is satisfying when it does it's thing. On coat 3 right now and it's starting to look good , fill grain and lay more smoothly. If the weather cooperates I will get it sanded and recoated again this morning.