Wanting to get a roller furling for my Catalina 25... which one do ya'll recommend?

Jun 28, 2017
Catalina 25 At my slip
I've already got the sail FOR the roller furling that was on the boat and not working. Looking to get a new one, and there seem to be a lot of options that are cheaper, and more expensive. Not looking to break the bank, but also not wanting to buy the cheapest piece o crud around.

Thanks for helping, I love learning from those who have been there and done it before.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
We put a CD F 4 on our 1981 C 25. I think that's what it was. Works like a champ.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
We put Harken on our 25 and were glad we did, added to our resale and also piece of mind!!
Also made life way easier for Wife and safer!!!

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 320 Bristol, RI
I had a Schaefer SnapFurl on my C25. Easy to put on, because the foil that surrounds the forestay is two long plastic extrusions that snap together to envelop the entire stay.

Downside: if you need to remove the slotted foil, like to inspect the forestay for fraying, you have to purchase a whole, new two-part foil; it cannot be re-used.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
If you trailer your boat a lot (hence raise and lower the mast frequently), a furler with a flexible extrusion might be best. The two out there are the CDI (Cruising Design Flexible Furler) or the Schaefer Snap Furl. Both work well and are about the cheapest on the market. The CDI uses its own halyard system while the Schaefer uses your existing halyard(s). If you intend to race and do headsail changes, then the Schaefer is the way to go, but most likely you will just reef or partially furl your headsail if the wind pipes up. I am not sure if the CDI is designed for partial furling or not. A good question to ask. In my opinion, the Selden Furlex is the best system out there. You get a new forestay whether you want one or not (which assures quality control over all components of the system) and you also get most everything you want, like the halyard restrainers, the furling line and blocks to bring the line to the cockpit. Other manufactures have those items as options and for more money while the Furlex has that stuff included in the kit. The Furlex has aluminum extrusions, so for a trailerable sailor, you have to be careful so you don't bend them raising and lowering the mast. Harken makes a good product too, but I told you what I like best.