Victron BMV-712 vs Balmar SG200

Oct 28, 2019
Hunter 38 North Shore of Boston
Does anyone have an opinion on which battery monitor is better? I’m going to be installing one before launching June 1 and am not certain what might be beat for my application.

I have a 2007 hunter 38 with 2 4D sportsman FLA batteries as my house bank and a group 27 west marine fla for my starter. I will be installing 4 x 50 watt flexible solar panels on my dodger connected to 2 Victron smart solar mppt controllers.

I’m tempted by the victron because it has built in Bluetooth and will communicate with my mppt controllers. Victron is known for firmware updates and a solid product line that works great together. Until recently I was planning on just getting the bmv-712.

After reading Maine Sails posts on the balmar i am tempted to go for it to take advantage of the additional features- especially the SOH since my house batteries are about 5 years old and may soon need to be replaced. The drawback here is that it needs an accessory for Bluetooth and does not communicate with my Victron solar controllers.

I’m really open to either one but would like to hear if anyone has an opinion that may sway me to pull the trigger on one over the other.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
On Second Star we have a Balmar Smart Guage and a Victron battery monitor. In order to be reasonably accurate the Victron needs some fiddling with the settings to compensate for the Peukert Effect. The Smart Guage does not need this fiddling.

I started with the SG and found it useful, but it doesn't show the actual current flow, i.e., how much current is going in or out of the battery, so the BM was added.

If the SG-200 shows amperage as well as SOC and SOH, then I would go with the SG-200. If it doesn't show the current, then I'd still go with the SG-200 and add a good quality digital amp meter.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
They are two completely different instruments and give you different data to work with. Maine Sail likes the simplicity of the Balmar. Many of the folks with coulomb counters simply never learned how to work them properly, mistakenly believing that the default values built into the algorithm would work for them, in spite of the instructions. Admittedly, the instructions left a lot to be desired, and both Maine Sail and I have written about this issue.

For everyone installing a battery monitor: The "Gotcha Algorithm" thread, a "MUST READ"

Link-series Charging Algorithms -- The "Gotcha" Factor!

DEFAULTS are factory settings that are made to be modified to suit your setup.

Also read this one:

Programming a Battery Monitor (by Maine Sail)

Making Your Battery Monitor More Accurate - Marine How To

Your boat, your choice. :)

Personally, I believe a coulomb counter is superior in terms of the info provided to a knowledgeable skipper. I have a Link 2000. If you want a set it-forget it thingy, get the Balmar.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
The new version of the SmartGauge uses a "standard" panel hole, which would make the install potentially easier than for the earlier one.
I bought mine after reading Maine Sail's writeup and also because my Link (ancient) AH meter had died.
I really like the easy readout of the charge condition of the house bank and of course the voltage readout on our emergency bank.
I doubt you would go wrong with the SmartGauge, but the other choice sounds good too.

Oct 28, 2019
Hunter 38 North Shore of Boston
Thank you all for the advice. I’ve pulled the trigger on a balmar sg200. I like the idea of the set and forget as well as the state of health so I can make some decisions about replacing my house battery bank.

Dec 6, 2020
Hunter 333 Prieto Marina Mandeville
Thank you all for the advice. I’ve pulled the trigger on a balmar sg200. I like the idea of the set and forget as well as the state of health so I can make some decisions about replacing my house battery bank.
I am now considering the Balmar SG200. Would you mind updating with your experience, both installation and satisfaction with operation? much appreciated.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I am now considering the Balmar SG200. Would you mind updating with your experience, both installation and satisfaction with operation? much appreciated.
I've been using the SG 200 with the smart shunt, 618 regulator with Bluetooth. It is a pretty cool system as I can monitor the battery state, charging, current draw, and the 618 monitors the alternator and battery temps as well output (actually % of maximum field voltage). It also calculates the time remaining to a full charge (100% SOC) or time remaining until the battery is dead if discharging.

The blue tooth connection makes it easy to program the regulator and all functions can be monitored via an app.

Installation is pretty straightforward, a few wires to connect and then enter the battery chemistry and size (ah capacity). It takes a few cycles to learn the battery, so the initial readings are less accurate. The more the battery is used the more accurate the readings. The same will happen if the unit is disconnected from the battery.

The only frustration I had was with the most recent firmware up date. You must follow a specific sequence which is not immediately apparent. It could also be that I've been spoiled by how easy it is to up date my phone and computers.

There is a video on the Balmar site (also on YouTube) of MaineSail (Rod Collins) talking about the system. Worth the watch.

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
I ran both the SG200 and the BMV712 in series for about 6 months… first with AGMs and then LFP. The SG200 is superior with lead batteries, and there is supposed to be a new version that has CANBus. But with LFP, the BMV712 is just as accurate IMHO.