Vestibular neuritis?

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
A very strange and scary thing occurred while at anchor last week alone on the boat. After a somewhat uncomfortable night, but not severe, I opened my eyes around 0500 to find myself with a condition of severe double vision and dizziness. I was literally visually impaired to the point where I could not work the VHF w/o difficulty. Could not report my position b/c I could not focus on any controls or texts close up, and small. No internet service at my locale. Rescue out of Avalon had to use RDF to fix my position while I counted into the VHF. USCG/Rescue took me off the boat and to the ER at Catalina Medical center. Apparently I had been suddenly hit by what appears to have been swelling and/or inflammation of a nerve of the inner ear caused by a virus.

Nothing I had aboard equipped me with a means to effectively manage myself or the boat; almost totally helpless it felt. In hindsight, the only thing that might have helped would have been an over-eye patch (one that will stay on) and if far from home, a steroid treatment pack which is used to reduce inflammation of the nerve and restore normal vision. Finally, a 4-in display of the boat’s GPS position at the nav station in good light, always current.

All is OK now, and got the boat home (another story). The shocking part was that NONE of the normal preparations for safety, etc, were of any help.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Scary KG. Thank you for sharing.
I wonder if a PLB with a button you push when in distress. Or the DSC Distress button on a hand held VHF would have been a help.

These viruses are nasty things that can disrupt our lives.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Scary KG. Thank you for sharing.
I wonder if a PLB with a button you push when in distress. Or the DSC Distress button on a hand held VHF would have been a help.

These viruses are nasty things that can disrupt our lives.
I did not see the situation as so urgent for that. It was not life threatening and the boat was safely and securely at anchor. I do not have a PLB. Most of the communication was over the cell phone.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Nice to be close and in cell phone range. These issues are just not considered by most of us sailors. What would you do if you awoke and could not see? What about a sudden onset of vertigo? All sorts of issues can occur. Considering the possibilities while safe is a way to empower you to work out a solution when under stress.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Very tough situation. The boat was rocking, the light inadequate at my nav station (my fault), & with the double vision, my field of vision was “in motion.” I was nearly blind functionally and could move about only with difficulty. There’s no way I could move safely about the boat on deck.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Very scary! At least with a good outcome. Makes us realize how fragile we can be. Wouldn’t want something like that 1/2 way to Hawaii.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Very scary! At least with a good outcome. Makes us realize how fragile we can be. Wouldn’t want something like that 1/2 way to Hawaii.
Yeah. Thx. Who carries a 5-day steroid pack (prescription) and an eye-patch? The patch can at least give you some relief from the double vision; maybe stop dizziness.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
I agree. The west coast of the island is more likely for us. You can still be a long way from medical help however. At least if the weather is not too bad there are helicopters.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
The shocking part was that NONE of the normal preparations for safety, etc, were of any help.
I disagree. Sounds like you remained calm, dealt with the problem as best you could and had a favorable resolution.
I imagine it was scary though!

Other than carrying an eye patch and the steroids what else might you do in the future?

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Question: if you'd had the steroids with you, would you have known to take them? The eye patch,sure. But would you have thought to take the steroids? Serious question. I'm not sure if I'd been in your position, I would have thought that would be the solution. Just looking for your best quess, and why.

That sure was a scary event!

dj

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I disagree. Sounds like you remained calm, dealt with the problem as best you could and had a favorable resolution.
I imagine it was scary though!

Other than carrying an eye patch and the steroids what else might you do in the future?
As RESCUE arrived to take me off I was “scrambling” to secure the boat as best I could. Close the open thru-hulls, close the hull port-lights, make sure the solar panel was plugged in; then assemble a tote with my iPad, cell phone, mask, reading glasses, and wallet. The stuff was all about the boat and I could not see well, as I said. Plus, the boat was rocking. I got off with that bag of stuff and what I was wearing: shorts, shoes, short sleeve shirt, sunglasses, and my life vest. No chargers and no wrap for the cool evening. It was Saturday and Avalon was a zoo. At discharge (my request) the hospital nurse called every hotel In Avalon to find the very last room @ $480. The doc gave me a ride to the pharmacy which was near the room/apt to where I walked.

I turned the cell phone off @15% charge. Switched to use the iPad which had more charge but very weak and spotty WiFi reception even at my room. Throughout most of Saturday I could not talk to anybody except in person with one eye covered or closed. I had to walk everywhere, unsteadily. A guy walking around in a life vest! I could not find a charger to buy. Only 12-volt chargers were around—no good to me. No wall adapters to be found. Water on the street was $3-5/container. By Saturday night I’m blind, deaf and dumb ashore.

I needed everything. Overnight stuff, personal items, an over shirt, change of some clothing. So to your question—A Ditch Bag for Shore that has in it EVERYTHING you need for a night ashore, including identification, a CC, $200 cash, reading glasses phone charger with wall & 12-volt adapters, etc. This bag is always packed and you can grab it while being taken off the boat!!!

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
I needed everything. Overnight stuff, personal items, an over shirt, change of some clothing. So to your question—A Ditch Bag for Shore that has in it EVERYTHING you need for a night ashore. This bag is always packed and you can grab it while being taken off the boat!!!
Thanks. Interesting observation. A post ditch ditch bag.

Also interesting to hear that Avalon is still that crowded. I guess that's why I avoid it. I know you weren't there by choice though.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Question: if you'd had the steroids with you, would you have known to take them? The eye patch,sure. But would you have thought to take the steroids? Serious question. I'm not sure if I'd been in your position, I would have thought that would be the solution. Just looking for your best quess, and why.

That sure was a scary event!

dj
Since they are prescription I’d have them for that purpose—so this assumes one can self-diagnose. Not hard with this thing. They come in a treatment card with schedule. Two b/f breakfast, one after lunch, one b/f dinner, two at bedtime, etc., through several days. It takes 3 or so days before the vision returns to normal.

Feb 3, 2015
Marlow Hunter 37 Reefpoint Marina Racine, WI
I had that same illness in 1987. So, I don’t think steroids from that far back would be any good! Basically, a one and done. I have had 3 or 4 instances of severe vertigo though. Treatment for that was Bonine, which we normally have onboard in case a guest gets sea sick. Btw, none of the above happened on a boat fortunate.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
The shocking part was that NONE of the normal preparations for safety, etc, were of any help.
Glad to hear that you got through this event. :)

Not to sound flippant but I don’t think this type of thing is predictable so how could you possibly have prepared for it.

I believe you single hand quite a bit and are well above average in skill and experience and as such are as prepared as you can be.

Likely why you didn’t feel this was a 911 level of emergency :)

Like any elite athlete who solos in any sport you accept the inherent risk and reward that comes with not having someone else with you.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Glad to hear that you got through this event. :)

Not to sound flippant but I don’t think this type of thing is predictable so how could you possibly have prepared for it.
That’s the issue. For example, nothing in my First Aid box, which is large, was of use. You’d think there’d be an over-eye patch in there!! Not one that you have to make up for a bleeding, injured eye. One you can quickly put on with a strap. Why not? Seems like an item with a predictable need. The meclizine was old and low dosage. Did not help with dizziness. Should have been 25 mg & less than 2 yr old. These are general items of preparation, etc.

A 911 call would have put me in the same ER in the same amount of time, likely.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Very scary!
Reading your description of your symptoms my first thought was you were having a stroke. I think if it was me, that would have been my concern so I wouldn’t have hesitated using DSC or 911.
I hope I would be as calm as you were in prepping for leaving the boat.
Glad you made a full recovery.

PS:
I googled vestibular neuritis and found this statement at Vestibular Neuritis
“Before making a diagnosis, your doctor will try to rule out any serious causes of your dizziness, such as a stroke or neurological condition”

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I would have to agree with @Ward H and activated the DSC if you have one. This could have easily turned out another way had the condition worsened and you passed out or had it been something like a stroke. The DSC is not just for sinking. In the end the DSC would have notified anyone else with a DSC within range on board AND the Coast Guard. Minutes count with many conditions. Ultimately the Coast Guard rescued you (if I read the OP correctly) so the delays didn't appear to change the outcome.

Its nice to think of a post ditch bag but really, I"d be happy to get there in my underwear. I'll worry about the "after being saved" if I make it that far. Just my 2 cents from someone who was alone in a hotel room and drove myself to the hospital :yikes: with a heart attack.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Very scary!
Reading your description of your symptoms my first thought was you were having a stroke. I think if it was me, that would have been my concern so I wouldn’t have hesitated using DSC or 911.
I suppose you’re right. It did not occur that I might have a stroke or be having one, although it did occur to the EMTs which is why they wanted to evaluate me post-haste. I have an excellent cardio-vascular condition, so that’s why I did not even think of it.

I have an old (1999) VHF that is not integrated with GPS, although it does have the Distress switch and can broadcast the MMSI. Once the admiral got the phone call at home from RESCUE21, she could have given my location at Hen Rock; but the DSC alert on that VHF could not have given my position there. The Standard Horizon HX890 hand-held does have DSC-GPS capability. I keep it in its charger at the nav station. I could have used it. I was but 3.7 n.mi. from Avalon Harbor at Hen Rock. However, this was early morning, around 0500-0530. Few boats at anchor, at least, have their radios switched on at all. The Harbor Master for those coves (three separate ones close together) who was moored nearby might have, however. Interesting that the Rescue boat folks did not ask me to set it off, etc.

Last edited: