Vestibular neuritis?

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Ultimately the Coast Guard rescued you (if I read the OP correctly) so the delays didn't appear to change the outcome.
A Fire-Rescue boat out of Avalon Harbor came out with 4 very strong guys aboard!! I don’t recall who all I talked to after things got going. I do remember switching between Ch 16 and Ch 22A a couple of times. I think Bay Watch was also involved.

The most frustrating thing was not being able to give my coordinates, of all things for a sailor!!! I could not focus on, or read anything, small. I could barely make out the channel display on the VHF. Backlit LED is not good imagery with that condition.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
About 10 days ago a healthy well-known Annapolis sailor died of a heart attack. 50 years old.
I recognize we are all vulnerable. So, not to sound flippant. But these sudden attacks are usually fatal within seconds so a call for help would probably be futile.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Who carries a 5-day steroid pack (prescription) and an eye-patch?
After reading the link by @Ward H , I saw that these over the counter meds are a help...

1) Bendadryl [bites or stings]
2) Meclizine [sea sickness]

I have both of those on our boat.

And believe it or not, 4 medical level Eye patches. [sea sickness]
CVS Health Concave Eye Patch

The Eye patch , stops stereo vision, which calms the inner ear distruption.
Jim...

PS: Also we have 3 back light Magnifying reading glasses.
PSS: Our radio microphone has the DSC on the back and it transmits the MMSI and GPS.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Its nice to think of a post ditch bag but really, I"d be happy to get there in my underwear. I'll worry about the "after being saved" if I make it that far.
It’s very stressful being released from the ER away from home, almost no communication (cell battery gone), walking only, and disoriented in a nutty, high energy tourist town on a weekend. Remember, my vision did not clear up until after 4 days of steroid treatment. Plus—the boat was still out there, unattended, for three nights, with nightly fog. No one to switch on the anchor light, or ring the bell, etc. I couldn’t go back aboard even if I might catch a ride back out there to the cove, and not an easy thing to arrange in the first place.

Eventually, SeaTow did bring the boat home to Long Beach and me insurance covered the tow. Bless ‘em! But this was a very unusual situation with the boat at anchor with no skipper aboard. SeaTow normally would refuse a tow like that (which they at first did). You need two boats on the site and at least three guys to get the anchor up and attach the tow w/o losing control of the boat. What if the windlass freezes? What if the anchor gets hung-up, etc.? What if the battery is dead? Now, a jump-start to boot!! Plus, there was a dingy with the outboard attached (fortunately up). So, they are very wary of such a job. The boat becomes at potentially greater risk of loss.

I had to handle much of the back and forth on the tow sitting in Avalon using a nearly dead cell phone. It was not going well; many obstacles, mostly to do with how the coves are administered, so I rode the Catalina Express home, the last one, on Sunday night, leaving the boat unresolved and at anchor.:what:

On Monday with the corporate offices open on the east coast, and we could talk further, SeaTow (Vessel Assist) agreed to fetch the boat home and cover the tow. I’m very grateful.:) But I still could not see normally and went to the neurologist that day as well.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Perhaps KG a new hand held VHF with DSC and GPS is in your future.
It is winter time and they will be going on sale...

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
The most frustrating thing was not being able to give my coordinates, of all things for a sailor!!! I could not focus on, or read anything, small. I could barely make out the channel display on the VHF. Backlit LED is not good imagery with that condition.
It’s easy for me to sit, drink coffee and come up with solutions :)

You mention you had a IPad and a cellphone. Something I use constantly in everyday life is the camera, and zoom capability of my IPhone and IPad. I do it so often that it’s muscle memory and so doesn’t really rely on my eyesight to get a magnified version of what I want to see but it might have proved useful.

I think @TomY had a family medical emergency where they had to GPS locate etc.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I’m also curious about how rescue actual found you?

You mention using VHF and RDF that from my limited understanding would give them a bearing to you but not range, so that would have narrowed the search area but it’s not the same as a GPS coor.

Oct 22, 2014
It was a skill learned in the early 70’s. It must have stuck as I still remember the experiences. :biggrin:

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I suppose you’re right. It did not occur that I might have a stroke or be having one, although it did occur to the EMTs which is why they wanted to evaluate me post-haste. I have an excellent cardio-vascular condition, so that’s why I did not even think of it.
I understand that. 4 years ago I had a mini stroke which affected my gait. I knew I had trouble walking but didn’t react to it. Friends at work followed me walking down an aisle and insisted, then drove me to the ER. Luckily all symptoms passed in about 6 hrs.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I’m also curious about how rescue actual found you?

You mention using VHF and RDF that from my limited understanding would give them a bearing to you but not range, so that would have narrowed the search area but it’s not the same as a GPS coor.
They had my location in Hen Rock cove (a charted area) @ less than 4 n.mi. from Avalon, the name of the boat, and its description. You cruise along the coast on the radio bearing and either find the boat in about 4 miles, actually less, or run agrounds on the shoals behind her. Not hard in this example. I’m sure relative signal strengths along the line would keep them going straight to it. Increasingly strong reception would equate with increasing nearness. I don’t why they wanted the RDF data except maybe to hasten arrival by coming straight for me.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
They had my location in Hen Rock cove (a charted area) @ less than 4 n.mi. from Avalon, the name of the boat, and its description. You cruise along the coast on the radio bearing and either find the boat in about 4 miles, actually less, or run agrounds on the shoals behind her. Not hard in this example. I’m sure relative signal strengths along the line would keep them going straight to it. Increasingly strong reception would equate with increasing nearness. I don’t why they wanted the RDF data except maybe to hasten arrival by coming straight for me.
My son is in Canadian CG and when they are in “rescue” mode they pull out all the stops and use every tool they have available.

The CG having established multiple methods of communication with you helps them help you.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
He actually just completed his RHIOT course a few weeks ago. Training, training, training and have multiple backup plans for when the stuff hits the fan. Even the real rescues are a form of training to keep all the skills sharp.

The course pushed them to exhaustion and then tested them. He was out on the water for 16hrs, 3:00 am and the instructor pulled the power on ALL of their navigation, sat back and said take me back to the launch site we left from! :)

Tax dollars I’m more than happy to spend!

CarlN

Jan 4, 2009
Ketch 55 Bristol, RI
I actually do carry a steroid pack - along with about 8 other drugs my doc prescribed with the promise that I wouldn't take any of them without calling him.

And for US residents, a DAN Boater evacuation policy comes with a number you can call. They will a) tell you how to treat aboard or b) help you get to the nearest competent doctor or c) send a jet. Not bad for $100/yr/family. DAN Boater Travel Safety Association

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
KG to do the RDF they wanted to keep you talking. It may also have been a way to know you were still functioning.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Wow. Quite the experience, Ray. So glad that matters turned out well for you. Scary, for sure. Nasty things, those viruses. Be well.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Symptoms have fully abated. So, all feels normal now.;) Working on the contents of a shore-side “ditch bag.” A few potential items have come to mind. Might seem unnecessary to assemble one, but one would just have to experience a rapid evacuation to appreciate one.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
A few potential items have come to mind
Happy to hear you have fully recovered! My Dad would complimentary - refer to you as a “tough bird” :)

I’m Canadian and KNOW a toque will keep you warm in all conditions :)

On a more serious note a laminated sheet with all your meds and emergency contacts on it would be very useful info.

Last edited: