venture 21 for first boat?

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
Again, thanks for all the great info everyone!

I am thinking about going and looking at it hopefully soon.

the owner said the tabernacle got knocked off, but he can put it back on. This worries me about the structural integrity of the deck?

Also what insurance should I look for on this boat? Just the basics?
That's why you do the tap test - so that you have an idea what the structural integrity might be. The wooden core under the tabernacle is a usual place for water to get in and cause De-lamination and/or rot. When we bought our venture I ended eventually replacing almost every core in the boat - including under the tabernacle (that was the first one).

You might be able to add the boat to your home owners or auto insurance police. Otherwise google "boat insurance".

Nov 17, 2013
Catalina 22 Scottsdale, AZ
I obtained insurance from my auto insurance agent. The storage yard at Lake Pleasant, AZ requires a $300,000 liability policy. Just liability would have been $65/year - but he sold me a bit of added insurance including some theft coverage for a grand total of $95/year.

Feb 3, 2014
looking! 22? Albany, NY
did a quote on GEICO and it was pretty cheap at 100 for the year.

Can anyone give me some links to restoration projects for some ideas? I've tried searching and searching but can't come up with anything :doh:

Nov 17, 2013
Scroll around in that blog. It shows a lot of remodeling steps and pictures including the cushions. I was particularly interested in the cushions because mine are old, ugly and brittle. It looks like they came from 1973...because they did.

My plans include painting the interior and replacing some interior wood. I seem to have a very small leak somewhere, so I want to locate that and repair it first. Once the interior is cleaned up a bit, I would like recondition and paint the hull. Topsides are not too bad, but they could probably use some touch up/clean up. I think a buffing/wax would suffice to topsides.

I would also like to install some of the lifelines/railings that were on the boat in the video.

I bought a tiller clutch - which I have partially installed. I still need to put in some cleats or other connections for the tiller control line - but the clutch itself is now attached to my tiller. This is like a tiller tamer - but I liked the design and operation of the tiller clutch better than the tiller tamer. See links:

Tiller Tamer:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AXTTR...hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_ocz1wfi1l_e

Tiller Clutch:
http://www.wavefrontmarine.com/

If you have any ideas to share, I'd love to hear em!

Feb 3, 2014
looking! 22? Albany, NY
I really like that tiller clutch!

The owner says that the cabin is bare as he has never done anything but day sail it, so I'm sure it needs some cleaning and painting. I'd also like to do a quick paint job in the cabin and maybe put up carpeting or fabric covering like what sail-rite sells just to clean it up and make it more inviting. I'd also like to extend the v-birth, and add storage lockers under the cushions, maybe put some LED lighting, and a spot for a VHF radio and music radio with speakers in the cockpit.

The bottom looks faded in pictures, which I'm fine with for the season, but I would like to give it a nice bright yellow and black under the waterline/keel area!

Does this sound feasable?

Nov 17, 2013
Not sure if you can see it in the pictures, but mine has a faded looking bottom as well. Must be the original finish. I'm pretty certain that this has never been repainted as it has a lot of "character."

I like the LED light idea as well. Mine has a light fixture, but it appears to be a bit beaten up. LED lights - and some leopard skin would give a pretty cool feel to the interior.

The tiller clutch is a bit more expensive than the tiller tamer - but the reviews of the tamer suggested that the plastic parts had a tendency to break. The clutch is solid - and while I haven't used it yet, it has a good feel to it.

317.jpg

316.jpg

Feb 3, 2014
looking! 22? Albany, NY
The one I'm liking at looks the same except the hull is yellow. I am worried about painting it and putting it into jacks, and them moving the jacks, especially on grass.

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
The one I'm liking at looks the same except the hull is yellow. I am worried about painting it and putting it into jacks, and them moving the jacks, especially on grass.

hahahaha

Dude you didn't even buy the boat yet but in your heart its already yours...

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
We bought our Venture 21 in 1970. Great starter boat. The one you're looking at should have quarter berths extending under the cockpit seats. Typical of Ventures it has a big main for drive and a smaller headsail area. It makes it a little tender but very forgiving. I got knocked down on Lake Mead and the boat righted itself. I'd recommend a V-21 to anyone as a first boat. Easy to rig, easy to launch, easy to sail. easy to tow. 4hp motor is sufficient as a kicker. Bought our V-222 in '72 and Freedom in '76. It's like balloon animals. Leads to bigger things like inner tubes and then blimps.:cussing:
We also took our V-21 to Catalina. The Winds in the afternoon can be hellacious. Leave early coming and going.

Jun 30, 2010
C&C Corvette Navarre Beach, Florida
Haha it tends to happen when I get passionate about things!
My first monohull was a Venture 222 on a trailer. I completely rebuilt that boat including removing the 500 lb keel and painting it. You can do everything with a floor jack and a few blocks of wood if you are careful. I learned a lot on that boat and sailed it every weekend - it was a great starter boat. Good luck!

Nov 17, 2013
Yes...but not the "quick" part. :)
Great answer. I've been contemplating painting at some point, but I'm going to wait a bit. I don't see the point of painting while I am still in the process of learning - and still adding "character" to the boat.

I may take on the interior painting, but I need to find out where my water is coming from. I climbed under the boat yesterday and checked out the hull (and checked my keel pivot pin to the extent possible). Could not see ANY indication of where the water was coming from. It isn't much - a couple of cups inside during a several hour sail - but I want it stopped. It may be coming in around the lower rudder pintle. I might try to run a bead of sealant around that just to see if that does the trick.

Otherwise, no cracks, no holes, nothing that looks like it should be allowing water intrusion.

Aug 7, 2011
MacGregor 26S Lakeland, FL
Cookwithgas! Did you sell your 22? You disappeared off the other forum...wondered what happened to you. I was learning a lot by watching what mods you made...

Jun 30, 2010
C&C Corvette Navarre Beach, Florida
Cookwithgas! Did you sell your 22? You disappeared off the other forum...wondered what happened to you. I was learning a lot by watching what mods you made...
Hi Viz:

Yes. I sold the V222 and gave up lake sailing for coastal sailing. We moved to Florida on the water so I bought a heavier boat to take out in the Gulf of Mexico. I now have a C&C 31 to tinker with that is always in the water so I don't have to worry with a trailer anymore. My C&C also has a swing keel. I often only have a little over three feet of water in my slip so the retractable keel is the only way I could keep a boat here. The keel assembly is completely sealed all the way up to the winch so no leak problems like I had on the Venture.