Vacuflush to Fresh Head change over

Jul 30, 2020
Beneteau 45 Oceanis Port Madison, Bainbridge Is.
Hello,

My first post on Sailboat Owners forum. I have been a SN member for years but I hear that if you are looking for marine head advice this is the place to come.

I am ready to dump my Vacuflush. It needs yet another vacuum pump rebuild. And frankly the thing has just annoyed me from the getgo. I am a big fan of fresh water flushing and manual pump heads which leads to the Raritan Fresh Head. Looks like a great toilet to connect to my pressurized fresh water line already plumbed in for the Vacuflush.

Question: Can I use the Vacuflush holding tank for the Fresh Head? I will obviously disable the vacuum pump.

Thx
-craig

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum!!!

Is this schematic diagram like your system with a single vacuum holding tank? If so, yes as long as the new toilet can freely pump into the holding tank.

1596140880320.png

These threads might be helpful:

Jul 30, 2020
Welcome to the forum!!!

Is this schematic diagram like your system with a single vacuum holding tank? If so, yes as long as the new toilet can freely pump into the holding tank.

View attachment 183109

These threads might be helpful:

Thanks!!!!!
Yes, indeed. I was a bit puzzled when I saw the air vent filter on our boat. I was not quite sure what it was. I really need to order Peggie's book so I am not so daft on the subject of marine head systems. Thanks again. -craig

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Hi Craig...welcome to sbo.com!

You will love the Fresh Head!

Can I use the Vacuflush holding tank for the Fresh Head?

Not really.... 'cuz the tank in the VHT VacuFlush system doubles as a combined vacuum tank and holding tank. And because it has to hold vacuum, it has relief valves instead of the tank vent needed by a holding tank, so you'd have to install a vent fitting in it...which, depending on what size the VHT tank is (it's available in several sizes), may not be worth the effort.

Plus, you can't just disable the VF pump...you wouldn't be able to flush another toilet through it. So you'd want to pull the entire system out of the boat and start "clean" with a nice straightforward toilet that has a single hose going directly to a holding tank that only has two hoses coming off it--a pumpout line, and a vent line that does NOT have a d'd vent filter in it!

You'll find a link to my book in my signature...and you're welcome to send me a PM (private message) if you'd like my help in doing all this.

--Peggie

Jul 30, 2020
Thanks Peggie! I ordered your book but I had to order it as a guest as it did not recognize my email.

I will get some pics of the system today. It also has an integrated macerator which I am more than willing to scrap. When I bought the boat new in 2012 I was talked into getting a vacuflush. At least I only bought one for the forward head, the midships is a manual Jabsco.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
If you upload pics, please select "thumbnail"...full size takes up half a page. However, there's really no need for pics...I'm very familiar with V/F systems. The whole thing really has to come out along with all its plumbing. Because the overboard discharge pump is completely separate from the V/F system, you can keep it. But that's the only thing 'cuz trying to go through any of it will create a nightmare.

And you'll need a new holding tank. Ronco Plastics is your best source...They make TOP quality thick-walled water and waste tanks for a very reasonable price and have more than 400 shapes and sizes, over 100 of which are non-rectangular, and they install fittings in the sizes and locations specified by the customer when they make the tank. There are retailers who sell Ronco tanks, but Ronco sells direct for a much lower price...and they're great to work with. Their current catalog is here Ronco Plastics marine Tanks Because most people find their previous catalog a lot easier to search they left it up too Ronco Plastics old marine catalog

In your waters, you'll prob'ly want a 20-25 gal tank...but that depends on how often the forward toilet is used. Depending on what size that tank is, you might be able to move it to the aft head and buy a new smaller one for the forward head.

So there's quite a bit to talk about and I'll be glad to help you get it all sorted out. I don't charge anything to do that.

--Peggie

Jul 30, 2020
Thank you so much Peggie! I think I need to study up a bit on the subject before I can proceed. Your book should be here on Monday and I will do some research on the web. I will reach back to you when I have my act together. Thanks!!!! -craig

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome Craig to the forum.
I see you enjoy the same water playground as other SBO members here in the Pacific NW.

You bring a stinky question to the forum and you are correct, Peggie is a fabulous resource.

We'd all love to hear about your boat and your 30 years of sailing adventures.

Good luck with your odoriferous challenge.

Jul 30, 2020
Hi Peggie. I read some of you book, still working on it. Below is my first run at this. I could not find 5/8" fittings from Ronco. What size of line does Vacuflush use for air vent? I decided to scrap the maserator, one less pump to support. Are there additional seals for the fittings that attach to the tank? Looking for feedback. Thank you, thank you! -craig

1596661908176.png

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
What size of line does Vacuflush use for air vent?
It really doesn't matter because you're going to remove that tank and replace it with real holding tank that will have female threaded tank fittings--which should be 1" to provide enough air exchange to keep the tank contents aerobic (essential to odor prevention)--instead of pressure relief valves....and Ronco installs fittings in the sizes and locations specified by the customer...so if you specify a 1" vent, that's the size vent fitting Ronco will install in your tank.

If/when you'd like to for me to help you sort all this out for on the phone, send me a PM (private message) and we can pick a mutually convenient day/time to spend up to an hour doing that. I don't charge anything to help folks do that.

--Peggie

Jul 30, 2020
Thanks Peggie. A phone conversation would be great. My schedule is extremely flexible. I will PM you with latest diagram and cell number.

-craig