Unstepping an O'Day 25 Quick help needed

Jun 16, 2015
Catalina 22 Tahoe
I have a new to me O'Day 25 and was able to step the mast with much more worry than actual drama. The mast was towards the aft and I connected the roller furling and a mechanical advantage system to and a winch to raise the the mast. Today I will be unstepping the mast for the drive back to my home port.

I was just reading a previous owners post about unstepping the the mast and the directions were to lower the mast towards the bow. the terms " TOWARDS THE BOW" were in bold. Am I missing something? Can I just reverse the process and lower the mast towards the stern using the same gin pole approach?

Thanks!!

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
I've always lowered the mast aft with a gin pole and not the boom. I could not lower forward even if I wanted too because I tow with a truck camper that is 12' high. Don't get to hung up on what some people think is the only way. If it works for you go with it.

Jun 16, 2015
Catalina 22 Tahoe
Thanks Rick. Thats what I thought but I wanted confirm before I broke something or worse someone.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
There is a reason it is recommended to lower towards the bow, not the stern.
If you lower it all the way to the the cabin top, there is a good chance the piece your boom vang connects to on the mast will punch into the cabin top. Previous owner did just that on my 25.

Edit: Checked the manual and it does state to place the mast on the deck with mast head forward to raise it. Not just some persons idea.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
There is a reason it is recommended to lower towards the bow, not the stern.
If you lower it all the way to the the cabin top, there is a good chance the piece your boom vang connects to on the mast will punch into the cabin top. Previous owner did just that on my 25.

Edit: Checked the manual and it does state to place the mast on the deck with mast head forward to raise it. Not just some persons idea.
Nice catch Ward. :)
I did forget to mention to close the hatch and have something at the stern to catch the mast before things at the step touched the deck. My aft mast carrier is tall enough to eliminate the vang bail issue "if I close the hatch". Don't ask how many times I get the mast halfway down an duh. :banghead:But my setup does allow me to stop at any point to fix things.

My manual also says lower forward "when using the boom as a gin pole and mainsheet as tackle".

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Thanks for clarifying Lee and Rick. Many ways to lower the mast. I took mine down once, then chickened out and had the yard raise it. I've left it up since.

Jun 16, 2015
Catalina 22 Tahoe
Well its down with what we call a class 3 cluster at the fire department. I really need to see how others do it. My mast has some new looking block that seem to raise the step. When the mast reaches the back rail there are 2 inches plus before there is any contact with anything. The mast went a little this way then back but we managed to not destroy the step by some stroke of luck. The only real failure was the gin pole. I failed to keep the line tight once down so it fell over and off the boat. Nothing was hurt other than my pride. Good thing my wife has it on video. Thanks again for the help. I learned lots about the boat and will be a little more graceful next time. It looks like I will launch in Tahoe for the season on Thursday. I must admit some of the new mast stepping systems like the Seward 26rk sure seem nice.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
Here is my quick and dirty system for holding the mast and gin pole aligned. We named it the spider web. The five lines you see in blue are the web. The ring that they are all attached too is in exact alignment with the pivot point of the mast step. This allows the lines holding the gin pole upright and the lines holding the mast to all pivot with the mast and remain tight. If the alignment is correct you can stop at any point in the raising/lowering operation. This system allows for single hand mast raising. I did steal this idea from somewhere on the internet.

I have since welded up a new system that is much easier/quicker to install (does other functions also) and no fine tuning of the lines required. One of these days I will get around to making a video so whomever buys the boat can understand the operation.

Attachments

May 22, 2004
Oday 23 Bullock's Cove, RI
Nevada Mike .... Another note of caution ... regardless of which way you lower/raise the mast always keep an eye on the turnbuckles on the upper and lower shrouds ... These are typically loosened but not removed and they need to be aligned as the mast is raised so they do not bend. Lots of people - me included have had to replace the turnbuckles or even the shrouds themselves because of bending something.
Check this post out and you'll see what I mean. I just got the link and have not read the post in detail https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/bent-turn-buckles.178488/

Because of this I have a couple of spare turnbuckles on the boat and also an older shroud.
I used to trailer the boat to and from the ramp to my winter storage area and had a couple of anxious moments. Thankfully that's all in the past - I do not trailer the boat anymore - It's stored on the hard in a local marina during the winter with the mast in the raised position. I only drop it every other year to inspect everything at the top.