Bent turn buckles

Karyon

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Red deer, Alberta
How do you prevent the bending of the turn buckles? Seems like it happens when I step the mast and when the mast is almost vertical that's when these get bent as they won't slide upward. How do you guys do it? This is on my H23.5
IMG_0074.JPG
IMG_0072.JPG

What size are these turn buckles, so I can get new ones.

Attachments

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Silicon Grease. Also, you need to replace those asap. That is a failure just failure waiting to happen.

Bosman

Oct 24, 2010
Solina 27 Wabamun, Alberta
Replace ASAP, do not try to straighten. Boatcraft in Edmonton *might* have them in stock, give them a ring if you want new ones quickly. Were the side stays under tension when you were raising the mast?

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
Its not my intent to sound harsh, but there really is only one solution...
To prevent it from happening, you need to be aware.... if you know when it happens, then that is the time to stop and make sure they arent fouled... then go a little more and check again...
Without having a helper to check on these things for you, YOU have to do it.. and they ARE FOULING or else they would ride up into position without a problem...

Karyon

Jun 8, 2004
Replace ASAP, do not try to straighten. Boatcraft in Edmonton *might* have them in stock, give them a ring if you want new ones quickly. Were the side stays under tension when you were raising the mast?
Yes they were and I'm sure it is not the first time they got bent.

Bosman

Oct 24, 2010
Solina 27 Wabamun, Alberta
As centerline mentioned, it is a good idea to have a helper who checks everything you cannot see at the mast is being raised. It also helps to give your sidestays about 2-4 full turns of slack before lowering the mast or raising. It will help prevent stuck hardware. Just remember to tension the shrouds after the mast is up.

Where will you keep the boat? Sylvan?

Feb 27, 2004
SunTracker 18 DLX PartyBarge Hoover Reservoir - Columbus OH
skutsje the shrouds will slide up and down in the sidestays, so before you raise the mast too far reach above the stays and pull the shrouds up. This will add a bit of tension and help hold the turnbuckles in position. Another option before you begin is to hold the turnbuckles vertical and add a piece of masking tape around them and the ubolts. It doesn't need be anything fancy, just something to hold them as they shift during raising.
I know how easy it is to overlook this detail so after I get the raising pole and tackle setup with just a bit of tension I try to stop and take a minute to walk around checking for anything which might cause a problem; things like the furler/forestay being out of place, halyards/topping lift being fouled, the shroud t-bolts being twisted in the mast slots. All those little things which are so doggone easy to overlook until it's too late.

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 28 mkii 745 Ottawa, Ontario, CA
you can use a regular (hook) bungee. hook in to one turnbuckle, loop the bungee over the lifeline and onto the other turnbuckle. This will keep them vertical until the mast is upright.

BTW, If you don't already, you should also wire up the turnbuckles or put a split ring in the little hole to prevent them from inadvertently coming completely undone.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 31 and 25 and fomerly 23.5 Stockton State Park Marina; MO
All you need are new 1/4 " T-bolts with left hand threads. These get bent when raising the mast if the shrouds begin to tighten and the toggles are wedged out of position and resist alignment. Why? Because hunter used 1/4" toggles and turnbuckles and jammed them on a 5/16 inch U-bolt chain-plate. Then because the 1/4 " clevis pin has to be short because of lack of clearance to the cabin sides they squeeze the toggles tight to get the safety rings in. Now you have rigging that sticks and binds when erecting.
The simple solution is exactly as Jackdaw describes. Even then, when raising the mast and the shrouds begin to tighten, Stop; check/correct the alignment, then continue cautiously.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
I notice you don't have locking nuts - do you rely on clips to prevent them from turning? I would question the wisdom of that.

MrEd

Jun 5, 2004
Hunter 240 Louisville, KY/ Patoka Lake,IN
Either the tape or bungees will work really well. I'd also suggest cleaning the u-bolts and applying a clean lubricant like Sailkote. If they are going to bind anyway, it will probably happen when mast is nearing vertical, but you'll still be well positioned for a quick visual check even if you're single handing.

Karyon

Jun 8, 2004
Thanks for all the replies, I have 4 new ones on the way.

Yes they seem to bend when the mast is almost vertical, I thought of keeping turnbuckles up straight by putting a ziptie on either side of the buckle, but I don't have enough slack in the shrouds , when the mast is down, and pinned into the base.

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
I use Nite Eyz Grip ties to hold the shrouds vertical while stepping the mast Plus for countless other uses on board. I've not had any problems with the turnbuckles hanging up since I started doing that.
20160417_180739.jpg

I helped a friend step the mast on his 212 today after we replaced all his bent t bolts. We used the grip ties to tie up his shrouds and it worked great with no issues.

Sam

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
The PO of my H26 did this, which seems to work well to hold the turnbuckles vertical, no need to mess with tape or bungees. The slot he cut fits snug over the top of the u-bolts. Of course special attention is still needed to be sure nothing is going afoul while raising the mast.

20160424_073214.jpg

20160424_073136.jpg

BTW; the missing ring-dings in your pics is a big concern.

Last edited: