Universal Kubota experts - water pump

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Yay! New water pump and hoses. Pic. Pump thanks to you all.

The hoses were a disaster. It raised suspicion with the original gold paint from when the motor was made 31 years ago, but when I got them off there were protruding wires, rust from the wires, depressions, and general fatigue. All hidden. Yet, they never leaked a drop.

Yassir, I change out my hoses every 31 years, whether they need it or not.
Based on the photos of your engine, it looks like you may still have the original alternator bracket which is an accident waiting to happen. You can view the Westerbeke service bulletin on Catalina Direct and the revised bracket
Skipper, Mike 053 is right.
Here's why:

Alternator bracket - M-25 Alternator Mount Conversion Kit "B/M 256891" - c34.org Once you do this, you'll need to BURP the freshwater coolant, here's how, Reply #6: Engine overheating problem (with Instructions "How To Burp!")

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
Skipper, Mike 053 is right.
Here's why:

Alternator bracket - M-25 Alternator Mount Conversion Kit "B/M 256891" - c34.org Once you do this, you'll need to BURP the freshwater coolant, here's how, Reply #6: Engine overheating problem (with Instructions "How To Burp!")
Guys, this thread is over 4 years old.
I changed that bracket out a week after the water pump, and documented it on SBO.
And with Stu's help, ironically. :)

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Skipper we need to give Stu a little slack.. He was on top of his game when he lived threatened in the Bay Area. Now he is a Canadian. He is thriving and still helping folk but he does it so often he loses track... It is just nice that he keeps slinging that good stuff out like the Guinness beer he will share if you happen upon him in one of his favorite anchorages.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
Skipper we need to give Stu a little slack.. He was on top of his game when he lived threatened in the Bay Area. Now he is a Canadian. He is thriving and still helping folk but he does it so often he loses track... It is just nice that he keeps slinging that good stuff out like the Guinness beer he will share if you happen upon him in one of his favorite anchorages.
I just figured that everyone remembers everything I do, even years later, because I'm so memorable.
Even loads of Guiness cannot erase the traces of my brilliance ... I had assumed previously....

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I just figured that everyone remembers everything I do, even years later, because I'm so memorable.
Even loads of Guiness cannot erase the traces of my brilliance ... I had assumed previously....
I used to remember most of what I did, but... :)
Then I started remembering what you did...
Then I had another Guinness.
Thanks to John for hopping to my defense.
Thanks to Skipper for doing the right thing, so many, many years ago...
I'll bet there are still some guys out there running around waiting for that failure to bite 'em in 3..2..1...