Troubleshooting LP on 343 Oceanis

Jun 20, 2021
Beneteau 343 Fort Lauderdale
I just returned from filling up my LP tanks. One was empty, but the other had some gas in it. Anyways, still not working.

Tank Valve is open. I found the gas cutoff in the cabin close to the Galley and opened up. I'm fairly certain that there is no gas making it to the stove. Red button next to knobs seems to have no effect and I suspect it's the igniter, but it doesn't seem to be working.

I'm use to there being a solenoid switch on the 12V panel, but after staring at it several times, scratching my head and my backside, I'm pretty sure there is none. Looking at the tanks and regulator, I don't see any solenoid or wires anywhere.

Is there a solenoid? Bad regulator?

PS - although I'm focused on getting it working, the lack of a solenoid seems worrisome. I'm usually ultra paranoid about propane gas given it's tendency to pool in low areas. I guess I can just turn off the tank valve for now, but

RitSim

Jan 29, 2018
Beneteau 411 Branford
You can pull off the hose on at the back of the stove (tanks off) and have a second person open the valve to briefly verify flow. I expect a few comments on this method as totally unsafe but you are having the valve open only a second or two. On my B411 you have to hold in the burner knob while you are lighting it. I would want a solenoid - my boat does have one.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Most boats have a solenoid for LPG safety. Hard to believe you Bene doesn’t have one in the LPG locker.

On my O’Day 322, the switch is in my galley, not at the electrical panel….so check the locker first…and if you see a solenoid, there has to be a switch somewhere.

If the igniter doesn’t work, just use a butane match or similar…that is how I usually light my burners.

It does take a minute or two to get propane to the burner…especially of you haven’t used it in a while.

Greg

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
Most boats have a solenoid for LPG safety. Hard to believe you Bene doesn’t have one in the LPG locker.

On my O’Day 322, the switch is in my galley, not at the electrical panel….so check the locker first…and if you see a solenoid, there has to be a switch somewhere.

If the igniter doesn’t work, just use a butane match or similar…that is how I usually light my burners.

It does take a minute or two to get propane to the burner…especially of you haven’t used it in a while.

Greg
They do have a solenoid in locker and a gas valve breaker on panel, you can here it click from the panel .OP should look at installing a CO and LPG detector cheap insurance

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
My 323 has a dedicated breaker for the stove gas line on the circuit breaker panel at the nav desk. No reason why the 343 should be any different. Check to determine if that breaker has tripped. Also, the dumb question … do you have the battery power on?

Jun 20, 2021
My 323 has a dedicated breaker for the stove gas line on the circuit breaker panel at the nav desk. No reason why the 343 should be any different. Check to determine if that breaker has tripped. Also, the dumb question … do you have the battery power on?

Jun 20, 2021
here's my panel. Let me know if you see it.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Totally different Panel. Must be a French built 343, and requirements were different
2A4B3051-7809-404B-B7E2-8E8C58C412BD.jpeg Beneteau panel (bottom) switch labelled ”gas valve” is in the right bank

Feb 21, 2010
Beneteau 31 016 St-Lawrence river
This a French panel, they have butane gas & ususually no gas shut-off. If it isn’t the « spares », then look close to the stove itself.

Alan M

Aug 22, 2013
Beneteau 343 Chicago
As an owner of a 343 I can tell you there is probably a solenoid but it is hidden pretty well. An easy check to confirm open the small access door in the aft cabin on the port wall. Look inside and you should see the solenoid. I had to replace mine when I had similar symptoms. Access to replace it will take removing the tank and the well that the tank is sitting in. Also to remove the solenoid you will probably need to open the small access door in the aft cabin on the port side that I refer to above. The solenoid replacement is available on line.
I replaced mine four years ago and it is still working fine. A lot of air will be in the line after replacing the solenoid so bleading out the line with pilot will take a little time. Easy fix!

Alan M

Aug 22, 2013
Beneteau 343 Chicago
If the electrical panel says Gas Valve there certainly is a solenoid! Just hidden very well.

Alan M

Aug 22, 2013
Beneteau 343 Chicago
The valve in your picture is just a shut-off valve not a solenoid. If your electrical panel does not have a switch and Label "Gas Valve" then you probably don't have a solenoid. Previous posts may be correct regarding French manufactured 343. Mine is a US built 343 and has a switch on the electrical panel "Gas Valve" and a solenoid powered by that switch and it is located under the LP tank locker. You may want to research the difference in LP and Butane since your system may be designed for butane.

Jun 20, 2021
Mine was built in the USA. It's a head scratcher, but I'll keep at it. The regulator is badly corroded, so I'll start with a new one.

Alan M

Aug 22, 2013
Beneteau 343 Chicago
I shut my gas off at the tank everytime I use it even though I have a remote shutoff with the solenoid. Just an extra precaution and you can do that with the manual valve in your picture.

Oct 10, 2013
Beneteau 343 San Diego
I just returned from filling up my LP tanks. One was empty, but the other had some gas in it. Anyways, still not working.

Tank Valve is open. I found the gas cutoff in the cabin close to the Galley and opened up. I'm fairly certain that there is no gas making it to the stove. Red button next to knobs seems to have no effect and I suspect it's the igniter, but it doesn't seem to be working.

I'm use to there being a solenoid switch on the 12V panel, but after staring at it several times, scratching my head and my backside, I'm pretty sure there is none. Looking at the tanks and regulator, I don't see any solenoid or wires anywhere.

PS - although I'm focused on getting it working, the lack of a solenoid seems worrisome. I'm usually ultra paranoid about propane gas given it's tendency to pool in low areas. I guess I can just turn off the tank valve for now, but
I have a Bene 343 and there certainly is a switch on the panel to open the solenoid. Perhaps yours is mislabeled.

Jun 20, 2021

I have a Bene 343 and there certainly is a switch on the panel to open the solenoid. Perhaps yours is mislabeled.
JPEG_20210727_124629_1722233293982678161.jpg
Let me know if you see it. Bonus points if you know what diver spares is.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
"divers" is French for miscellaneous. i.e. "Spares"

From the pics, it looks like you have a manual valve and not a solenoid. The solenoid should be outside in your propane locker, but boats are all a bit different. Where the gas valve is, looks like inside the boat, is not an improvement in safety.

Is it possible this boat was converted from CNG and that's the reason for a lack of a solenoid?

Do you need to push in the stove knob to bypass a thermocouple on the stove? Mine does. And I can hear the gas at that point. If we've not used the stove recently, it's a good 10 sec or so to get propane to the stove. So I listen to ensure I've turned on the valve and the solenoid.

Otherwise, as mentioned above, start disconnecting stuff and turning on the valve.

Jun 20, 2021
"divers" is French for miscellaneous. i.e. "Spares"

From the pics, it looks like you have a manual valve and not a solenoid. The solenoid should be outside in your propane locker, but boats are all a bit different. Where the gas valve is, looks like inside the boat, is not an improvement in safety.

Is it possible this boat was converted from CNG and that's the reason for a lack of a solenoid?

Do you need to push in the stove knob to bypass a thermocouple on the stove? Mine does. And I can hear the gas at that point. If we've not used the stove recently, it's a good 10 sec or so to get propane to the stove. So I listen to ensure I've turned on the valve and the solenoid.

Otherwise, as mentioned above, start disconnecting stuff and turning on the valve.
thanks, I'll follow-up with an update. If I don't have a solenoid, I'll add one and wire it up. It would be nice to have a red light beckoning to be turned off.