Trivia that moves you to share

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Phil, I accidentally slipped my mouse when selecting a section of text to...

Make it Bold

And I got a Bold and strike through.:confused:
What did I do, accidentally?

♂♂∑≅≄⊕℞µΩ☞✩⚓︎♁♁♂⚗

Jim...

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Here is just a quick SetchUp concept drawing of the top access CB trunk with pin slot. I would line the slot in ss. and put in some way to lock the pin in position so it wouldn't lide up if the boat turned upside down. I would also want to build in a way to lock the CB in the down position to keep it from collapsing back into the trunk during a knockdown.
CBTrunk.png

The forward outboard corners of the cockpit sole would have foam wedges glassed in to help funnel water into the trunk scuppers. There would have to be a section of the companionway cut out to allow the top to open with enough room to pull the CB. Molding in a ss 'L' channel around the rim might be a way to reduce flexing of the trunk walls.
CBTrunk02.png

-Will (Dragonfly)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
The price of live Maine Elver eels hit a new high for fishermen this week, $2800.00 per pound! That is a lot, but Elvers, or glass eels are tiny baby eels, and you need about 2000 of them to make a pound. Trickier still, they have to be kept alive as they are ultimately shipped over seas (mostly Japan), where they will be raised to adults, which are a delicacy in some parts of the world.

Once the water warms up a bit (it hasn't yet), they swim up our harbor and into 2 fresh water streams. The streams lead to lakes and ponds where the little eels will mature into big brown slithering eels in 2 or 3 years.

A few years later, the adults make their only return trip back to sea, where they'll bear their young. The young Elvers are born out to sea, the mature parents die, and the circle is complete.

Late March, every year, suddenly the Fyke nets appear in the rivers that flow into our harbor. This is Lily Pond Brook that flows a few feet from my house above (maybe I should set a net,...)
Elver nets 2.jpg

It can be quite a show when the little eels begin to run. Licenses are heavily regulated on a lottery basis and the fishery is fiercely patrolled.

In a couple weeks the water will warm up enough and the little eels will be on the move. As well as the nets, fishermen will start dipping for them in the dark with hand nets and head lamps.

It's a mysterious dance to come upon in the dark. Elver fisher's headlamps sweeping the water, nets swishing. A living lottery.

Headlamps dance as Elvers Eels come into Rockport Harbor.   copy.jpg

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Trivia day. The United States bought Alaska from Russia on this day in 1867 for $7 million dollars what a deal.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
One of my favorite Toasts:
"Burgundy makes you think of silly things
Bordeaux makes you talk of them
Champagne makes you do them" !
Our second is:
"Wine reminds us to loosen our grip and that often in life letting go is the best way of holding on"!
Enjoy.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Most all of the Susquehanna tributaries contain the remains of eel and shad weirs built by the native Americans and maintained by the euro settlers. They are vee-shaped rock dams pointing downstream with an opening where baskets could be placed to capture migrating eel and shad. It is facsinating to float these shallow Chesapeake drainage rivers and see the remains. Sadly the flood control dams on the rivers have eliminated the eel and shad runs. Spoke to one older lady years ago fishing and she told me that in the early 1900s smoked eel was still a food source for the hill people. It would be nice to return the eel and shad runs to the Chesapeake.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Most all of the Susquehanna tributaries contain the remains of eel and shad weirs built by the native Americans and maintained by the euro settlers. They are vee-shaped rock dams pointing downstream with an opening where baskets could be placed to capture migrating eel and shad. It is facsinating to float these shallow Chesapeake drainage rivers and see the remains. Sadly the flood control dams on the rivers have eliminated the eel and shad runs. Spoke to one older lady years ago fishing and she told me that in the early 1900s smoked eel was still a food source for the hill people. It would be nice to return the eel and shad runs to the Chesapeake.
That's interesting. The Fyke nets used for the Elvers point upstream with the 'Cod end', where the catch is kept, the furthest upstream. They have to be weighted and staked to resist our 10' tide. Regulations only allow the nets to be placed in areas outside the main flow of the river.

There doesn't seem to be much of a market in this country for the adult eels these days. Maine is one of the last areas the Elvers run enough to support a fishery. They're nearly impossible to see in the water.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Here is a shot provided by the Maryland DNR of the native American fish weirs. They would catch the eels as they came back down river headed to the sea. The Vee points downstream. Water is shoal, maybe 2 feet.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Here is a shot provided by the Maryland DNR of the native American fish weirs. They would catch the eels as they came back down river headed to the sea. The Vee points downstream. Water is shoal, maybe 2 feet.

Wow, there is a photo worth a thousand words (or a million).

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Very interesting Gunni. It would be possible if one could organize the folks like they did for the Strippers. The stripped bass was once on the endangered species list for the Chesapeake. Then there were the fish wars of the 70’s

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
A few years later, the adults make their only return trip back to sea, where they'll bear their young. The young Elvers are born out to sea, the mature parents die, and the circle is complete.
Actually, they spawn--fish release eggs and sperm (gametes) into the waters near the bottom of the Sargasso Sea; i.e., there is no "bearing" of young. The gametes unite to produce fertilized eggs. The fertilized eggs develop and hatch, producing specialized translucent larval forms called leptocephali which eventually drift to shore, metamorphose to a swimming elver (yellow eel), and migrate up the rivers to live until their own migration back to sea to spawn as adults.

Last edited: