Trivia that moves you to share

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Whiskey's too rough, Champaign cost too much, and vodka puts my mouth in gear, so this little refrain should help me explain, as a matter of fact, I like :beer:
:clap:

- Will (Dragonfly)

Last edited:

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Speaking of beer...

What is the difference between making love in a canoe and American beer?
Nothing! Both are f------g close to water.

I'm a mod, can I say that?
My dear departed daddy, as scrappy a Scots-Irish as ever there was loved to say that about “light” beer. He detested the stuff and saw its consumption as some sort of character flaw. After a few near brawls my brother was able to convince the old man that it wasn’t really light beer it was “sports” beer, suitable for beer drinking scrimmage and training. So now we ask guests, “would you like a sports beer, or a real beer.”

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Now that’s the spirit @justsomeguy . I had never heard about that interesting linguistic fact.

If I used that in a crowded bar would. I get sprayed with a pesticide? Or served a sports :beer:.

Hey This post has spawned a new emoji... Thank you @Phil Herring

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Nice post @Justin_NSA
But Beer is only one element of Trivia... I wonder what else is out there that might enlighten and provide humor to us landlocked sailors.

• Surely @Scott T-Bird must have insight into Surfing or Skiing.
  • and @Gunni knows more trivia that might excite or amaze...
  • Bubba @JamesG161 tilts ideas and ravages boast from his hidiehole on the Mississippi coast
  • or Claude @kloudie1 could share a gem from the bayou that might intrigue or frighten the sailors core.
  • and @Will Gilmore is never at a loss for ideas...
  • and all you other sailors or story tellers.
So let us broaden the focus. I have a 5 hour flight to visit the land of The Palmetto and the @Kermit and I look forward to challenging my mind as it is a terrible thing to waste.

Jul 22, 2011
Mariner Yacht Co.(NH) Mariner 28 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
If we are going to talk about lite beer, I can remember when they introduced "Gablinger's Diet Beer". Not to mention the brewer thereof, Reingold, the Dry beer.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
So let us broaden the focus. I have a 5 hour flight to visit the land of The Palmetto and the @Kermit and I look forward to challenging my mind as it is a terrible thing to waste.
Interesting, we're headed to Charleston on Tuesday.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
and @Will Gilmore is never at a loss for ideas...
Well...
I am posting a few ideas on the Mariner Web site about modifying Dragonfly for top access to the centerboard, rerouting the self-bailing scuppers to the side of the cb trunk and they are all, like, trying to be reasonable and everything. Warning me about weakening the cb trunk or even the hull, since I would have to cut out some of the companionway. They are all, like, "you better think twice about that. " yeah, maybe even 8 or nine times. Good advice, but... what's the fun part?
I could drop the CB into the trunk from above and the pin would be part of the CB assembly. It would slide down into a slot instead of trying to line up the hole through the trunk with the CB and pushing the pin all the way through below the waterline.
No need too take the boat out of the water or off the trailer. The whole assembly would be isolated so no water leakage through the pin's hole. Easy access, easy bottom paint, easy inspection and change out of lift cables.

- Will (Dragonfly)

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
Whiskey's too rough, Champaign cost too much, and vodka puts my mouth I gear, so this little refrain should help me explain, as a matter of fact, I like :beer:
:clap:

- Will (Dragonfly)
Whatever you do, do NOT listen to "Beer" by the Asylum Street Spankers. You've been warned.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
"Documents maintained by the Victualing Board belie the widespread perception that Georgian-era sailors barely scraped by on hardtack and rancid gruel. True, they ate hardtack—emblazoned, during Queen Victoria’s reign, with the monarch’s insignia—but they also drank an entire gallon of beer per day and consumed beef or pork four times a week. Along with kegs and salted meats, naval vessels carried dried peas, oatmeal, butter, cheese and sometimes even livestock for slaughter."
Taken from: https://www.google.com/amp/amp.hist...lors-lived-on-ample-meat-and-beer-study-shows
BY JENNIE COHEN

So beer is integral to a sailor's life and a sailor's life is the life for me. How I love to sail on the bounding sea, but I never ever ever do a thing about the weather 'cause the weather never ever does a thing for me.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I don’t line this :frog: :gun: :rocket: :shoe: :anchor: :flag: or :beer:
Jim...

PS: Test