Trip to Europe (and back) begins

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Have a great trip!

Saw a dolphin way up north in the Chesapeake almost at the C&D canal. Never knew they went that far up!
it’s been an unusual year for dolphins on the northern bay due to a dry spell in May and much of June. In years past I remember hearing about dolphin sightings just north of the Bay Bridge, up to around the Patapsco, usually in the drier months of late summer. This year the salt water has come further north and dolphins have been reported all the way up to the Elk River throughout June. I’m still waiting to see one though.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
We had hail last night in SJ when a storm passed over so you very well could have.
Do you have AIS or another tracking method where we could follow along?
AIS - good grief, gotta find the number. But if you look for Musetta on the coast guard web thing you should be able to find me. I'll try to remember to post the number.

dj

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Nope. Had a friend do a race from North Carolina to Florida last year. His wife freaked when she couldn't track the boat after they got out of range. Merchant vessels pay for satellite-based service, so they can be seen worldwide.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
I know my AIS has a satélite antenna...

dj

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Class A AIS transponders are mandated for vessels over 300 tons, fishing vessels over 15m, passenger carrying vessels and for SOLAS Convention. AIS Class B transponders are for recreational craft installation and have a transmission power of 2W (range of about 10 miles). AIS traffic information is only available around coastal zones or in a ship-to-ship zone.

• Helpful
Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Am I correct in my understanding that your AIS class B transponder will be seen by any ship that is within range of your VHS radio and it is only the shore-based tracking that cannot see you when out of range?

• Helpful

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Aren't you starting to run out of favorable time for crossing?
Potentially. Certainly too late for going through Bermuda. But running from Nova Scotia gives me the northern route to the Azores. If I get a good weather window soon after arriving then I should be OK. Hard to say with climate change. This past May, the ideal time normally, was kick butt bad. Talking with John Kreschmer he says it seems better now to leave later when weather systems have stabilized better. Of course you still have the potential for hurricanes. Got my fingers crossed on that one. Definitely would prefer not to experience anything even remotely close.

dj

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
I know my AIS has a satélite antenna...

dj
Is that just the GPS mushroom antenna? Or do you have a separate antenna for transmitting? Our class B SOTDMA AIS only has the one antenna. On our way back from SXM we were visible on MarineTraffic only when close to land in the VIs and PR until we reached Florida as I recall. For offshore tracking we used the Iridium GO with predict wind and an Inreach Mini for backup.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Is that just the GPS mushroom antenna? Or do you have a separate antenna for transmitting? Our class B SOTDMA AIS only has the one antenna. On our way back from SXM we were visible on MarineTraffic only when close to land in the VIs and PR until we reached Florida as I recall. For offshore tracking we used the Iridium GO with predict wind and an Inreach Mini for backup.
I only know of that one antenna for the AIS unit. I'll look around and see if there is another. I don't know the answer to your question. I'll have to see if I can figure it out. I do know we get picked up on the big ships AIS systems, I've had them call me directly by name. Nicely.... ;) (actually thanking me for running AIS as many sailboats don't)

dj

p.s. My AIS unit is a SI-TEX SAS-300

Last edited:

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
I only know of that one antenna for the AIS unit. I'll look around and see if there is another. I don't know the answer to your question. I'll have to see if I can figure it out. I do know we get picked up on the big ships AIS systems, I've had them call me directly by name. Nicely.... ;) (actually thanking me for running AIS as many sailboats don't)

dj

p.s. My AIS unit is a SI-TEX SAS-300
We have the SI-TEX MDA-5, which looks similar to yours but without a dedicated display. The satellite antenna is receive only and the VHF is of course transmit/receive. It looks like the SAS-300 is the same in that regard.