Trip to Europe (and back) begins

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
So Rick Truett of Truett Marine - same folk that did my LiFePo electrical upgrade - happens to also be a phenomenal woodworker. Lucky for me. Had one guy come look at it and then ghosted me... Oh well... Talked to Rick asking if we could get this taken care of so we went to a cool wood place here and found a piece of Sapele with excellent grain structure and Rick made a laminated beam. Here's a photo of him getting it ready to laminate into the good part of the existing bowsprit.
PXL_20230624_144448920.jpg

Here's the finished (nearly) piece. It came out just amazing!
PXL_20230630_001241955.jpg

Finished (almost) bowsprit... I'm doing a happy dance!

dj

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Wow, that looks pretty bad. Glad you're fixing it here and not contending with a failure at sea. :beer:
Oh yeah! Loosing the mast at sea is VERY low on my list!

One of the time consuming aspects of all this is going through all the systems with a fine tooth comb. For example, I rebuilt the propane system as it just seemed too close to end of life on the propane bottle side. Piping and interior fittings were all new, or nearly new but the propane locker end, not so much... Now it's a new system.

dj

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
1688128754642.png

It always warms the heart to see beautifully executed joinery.

Looking at your renewed bowsprit and that excellent work and reading your story of discovery, I can't help but think about the waves and wakes that constantly splash up underneath that important structure and ask, how the wood look where it marries to the stem?

-Will

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
View attachment 217407
It always warms the heart to see beautifully executed joinery.

Looking at your renewed bowsprit and that excellent work and reading your story of discovery, I can't help but think about the waves and wakes that constantly splash up underneath that important structure and ask, how the wood look where it marries to the stem?

-Will
Yes, I did look into the entire length of the bowsprit. Most of the wood looked to be in good shape. The main deterioration appeared mainly at the tip and as best we can determine likely resulted from someone probably hitting a dock with the bobstay. The direction of the wood deformation seemed to point in that direction.

I did seal up the lower portion of the bowsprit as best I could without removing the entire sprit which would have been a tremendous time sink. The remaining wood condition did not warrant such an endeavour.

Prior to replacing the cleanse iron, I did a complete epoxy encapsulation of the reachable regions of the bow sprit. When I reset the cranse iron, I lined the inside with 4200 to help keep water out of that area. Time will tell how well it all worked.

dj

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I'm pretty sure you meant compression
No.
When the head sail is pulling the sprit, the underside is in a tensional moment of inertia.
I looked up his wood, Iroko or African Teak. It has a huge Elastic Modulus.

Wood laminated beams do not do well in compression loads.;)

Jim...

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
No.
When the head sail is pulling the sprit, the underside is in a tensional moment of inertia.
I looked up his wood, Iroko or African Teak. It has a huge Elastic Modulus.

Wood laminated beams do not do well in compression loads.;)

Jim...
If the bow sprit was a cantilever beam your point on tension on the bottom would be valid, but this is a stayed strut. The bob stay takes the tension load from the fore stay's upward pull. The cheek stays on each side take the tension load for side-to-side forces. If you do a free-body diagram on the end of the sprit, you have four cables each at an acute angle to the sprit. By default, a cable can only carry a tension load and will buckle with compression. Therefore, the wooden sprit will have a compression load equal to the resultant of the four cables. If the inboard end of the sprit is rigidly attached to the bow of the boat, some moment load will be built into the sprit during tuning but to bottom side tension would be reduced when sailing because the baby stay is short, and the forestay is long so there is much less elongation in the baby stay.

As for a laminated beam not doing well in compression loading, the Glue-laminated beam industry would beg to differ. The top ply of every glu-lam has splices and they are all in compression. The rolling shear of the glue far exceeds the shear strength of the wood fibers so both tension and compression are transmitted across the joint as if it were not there.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Thread drift.
But do not disagree.

By the way.. I am a landlubber builder, designer, engineer.

I sent a load diagram to PO in a PM. You can see the link to Cantilever Design in my post#46.

Yes I do Glu-Lam and Micro-Lam design that maintains warranty, full landlubber exposure.

Onward to get him solo sailing...
Jim...

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
So I set out last night. Sailed north to the C&D, crossed into the Delaware and am about to cross Cape May, heading to Lunenburg Nova Scotia. This will be a good shake down cruise! Back to navigating!

dj

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Fair Winds Dave.
May the sea greet you with gentle following seas, urging you forward to your next port of call.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Glad to hear! Looking forward to hearing about your adventures! Have a great sail!!!

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Thanks to everyone for the well wishes.

Special thanks for the weather routing! We're looking at thunderstorm squalls this afternoon. Had some last night that I swear had hail in them! Rains drops that sting usually have a hard core.... But those were short lived
Saw a beautiful double rainbow. Gorgeous nearly full moon night. Saw a dolphin way up north in the Chesapeake almost at the C&D canal. Never knew they went that far up!

du

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
You sailing through from Cape May to N.S. or you looking at a couple of stops along the way?

Good luck and may you have favor in Posiedon's heart.

-Will

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Had some last night that I swear had hail in them!
We had hail last night in SJ when a storm passed over so you very well could have.
Do you have AIS or another tracking method where we could follow along?

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
@jssailem started this post for tracking S/V Musetta: