Traveller versus mainsheet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Clarification

I think I mislead ... with a rams horn, all you need is the single line reefing for the clew. That's what I do.

What I meant is that if you don't have a rams horn, you need to use a single line reefing system which would use one line that intricately weaves through the whole assembly to tie down both the tack and the clew simultaneously. Many people like this for the convenience, but many others don't like it for the friction.

The other way is to use 2 separate lines, one for clew and one for tack, or double line system. More lines, less friction. If you had two reefing points, then you could potentially need 4 lines for reefing .... ugh!

I like your system, that's why I use it! :D I have two lines for reefing, one for the lower reef point at the clew and one for the upper. I've used the upper maybe 3 times in 9 years ... it's a line I don't really need. It sure doesn't show any sign of wear, it just gets stiff from weathering. The lower one I used just 2 days ago on a nice cool ,gusty day. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.