Transducer installation

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Catalina Capri 22 1139 Mamaroneck, NY
Used plumbers putty so far to put the transducer in the forward lazarette in the cabin but it gets loose over time. Epoxy any good? Thoughts....?

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
I use a slow set epoxy (1 hr+) and use a weight to press the transducer firmly to the hull while curing. Try to ensure there are no bubbles in the mix. Thats why slow set works well.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Some folk use a toilet bowl wax ring instead of plumbers putty. It does not dry out like putty. Epoxy will be a permanent solution. Clean up all the putty both on the transducer and the hull before you glue it down.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
3M 5200 works?
Even if it does, it seems a bit permanent for a device that might break or need to be updated in several years. I've used silicone caulk, which worked fine and for me was a reasonable compromise between durability and removability.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
I have used thicken West Systems Epoxy to secure the transducer on several boats I have owned. On my Capri 22, I placed the transducer in the forward storage area as far back as I could – looking in front of the keel yet still in quiet flow.

The transducer is designed to be transom mounted, but that doesn't work for sailboats.

I had to remove an older functioning transducer last month to mount a newer design to go with my new chart plotter. Since I use a liberal amount of thickened epoxy, I used a vibrating multi-tool to begin a fracture point of the epoxy. Couple of taps later with a chisel, the transducer came out with no damage.