Trailer tongue weight

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
If you move the boat forward on the trailer, the tongue weight will increase not decrease. .. However your 27 pounds is about the same increase I got over the current 70 pounds the OP said (actually said 60 to 80).

What I did.. First estimate the current distance of the boat mass in front of the pivot (trailer tires)
70 pounds * 12 ft = 2000 pounds *D
D = 0.42 ft. Ie, the boat mass (neglecting a few things) is centered.42 ft in front of the axle

If the boat center of mass is moved forward by 2 inches, the new D is .586 ft in front of the axle.
Tongue wieght * 12 ft = 2000 pnds * .586 ft
New Tonque wieght = 97.6 pnds

At least I think LOL.. And Im not sure why the OP said he could move the boat forward by 2 inches. I know with the Macs (which you and I have), they often get loaded with the boat sitting back a couple inches or more from the front stop and it can make the boat tow unstable.

Last edited:

srimes

Jun 9, 2020
Macgregor 26D Brookings
OHHH you said FROM 70 to 100 I read it as BY 70 to 100. My bad lol sorry! Looks like I disagreed by agreeing.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I know I should be between 10% - 15% total trailer weight (including boat and all it’s accessories) but am finding mine is way light... like I should be 220 - 330 lbs and I’m only 60 -80 lbs.

Not wanting to pull the motor off every time we trailer... looks like the boat can move about 2” forward on the trailer with some effort, this should help but will still probably be light. I see weight distribution hitches but they seem more aimed at heavy tongue weight so I don’t know if it would help?

Any ideas other than moving heavy objects every time we tow? There’s not a lot I can think to move forward during transport as I keep the boat pretty empty except for sails and a small toolbox
You asked for ideas so....

I assume you are towing your Hunter 18.5 so on a trailer it looks like this.

CD9C623A-AF5C-4BA7-A136-470907B06FF2.jpeg

I can only assume the wing keel sits on some kind of tray but is it possible to move the brace that holds the winch and bow stop forward a bit and keep the keel on the tray?

At 1600lbs the boat is not a monster but having the trailer balanced correctly can make quite a difference.

Good move in getting the correct height on the tow ball.

Carrying your spare tire near the hitch will add some tongue weight.

Reluctance to move motor if that’s the only option could prove costly, just sayin :)

Jul 23, 2019
Hunter 18.5 Revelstoke
You asked for ideas so....

I assume you are towing your Hunter 18.5 so on a trailer it looks like this.

View attachment 182703

I can only assume the wing keel sits on some kind of tray but is it possible to move the brace that holds the winch and bow stop forward a bit and keep the keel on the tray?

At 1600lbs the boat is not a monster but having the trailer balanced correctly can make quite a difference.

Good move in getting the correct height on the tow ball.

Carrying your spare tire near the hitch will add some tongue weight.

Reluctance to move motor if that’s the only option could prove costly, just sayin :)
Yes our boat / trailer combo are close to identical... modifying the keel stop isn’t really an option because that would mean V at the front would have to move back ......but it’s out of room because of the tongue extension.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2019
Marshall 15 Catboat Lafayette, LA
one gallon of water (at room temp 76*) weighs - - - - - > 8.33 lbs.

one cubic foot of water contains - - - - > 7.48 gallons

Last edited:
  • Wow
Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
one gallon of water (at room temp 76*) weighs - - - - - > 8.33 lbs.

one cubic foot (12" x 12" x 12") of water contains - - - - > 7.48 gallons
8.33 or 2500, is no nevermind. That wasnt exactly the point of the post. It was all about the deadweight and effort.
Move the boat - hard
Move the axle - very hard
Move the motor - pretty simple

GTD

Jul 31, 2020
Oday 17 Daysailer Rye, NH
The simplest "fix" is to add stationary deadweight to your trailer - forward of the axle.
The point of attachment will determine how much weight you need to reach your 10% tongue load.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Moving the axle is the solution.

Moving the axle is actually not hard, involved a bit perhaps but not hard. If the brackets are welded on it takes about a half and hour to grind the welds off and then it is a simple procedure to bolt on new brackets for the springs and fenders. Don't shy away from what is actually the solution for what is a partial remedy.

Jul 26, 2017
MacGregor Venture of Newport 23 Aldie, Virginia. Chesapeake Ba
[video of trailer swaying out of control]
Important to prevent sway.
The camera car seems to have kept going, not stopping to render assistance.

Nov 1, 2014
H23.5 H23.5 Bradenton fl
If it’s the hunter water ballast boat trailers , you can’t add weight to the trailer . You have to get the bost more forward of the axle . I’m trying to move my H23.5 trailer bow stop/winch and ladder assembly forward about a 12 inches Sliding it on to the extender and adding 12 inches of square tubing ti fit over the tongue extender. From the factory it must of been improper tongue weight ???? Between that and never able to get the boat bow up to the trailer bow stop , you think they would of a well thought out solution since 1993 .

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
If it’s the hunter water ballast boat trailers , you can’t add weight to the trailer ...
Take the motor off the motor mount and mount it vertical on a travel mount on the bow post or flat on a platform bolted to the frame. I have done both methods and it improved the handling greatly. It is also much easier on the motor. My BIL once followed me when towing my C25 and told me that they engine was bouncing like a bronco on the mount.:facepalm:

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Former Hunter dealer who sold the 18.5 which is a wing bulb keel and difficult to get on the trailer. Send a private message. Maybe I can help.