Trailer Catalina Capri 22 (wing keel version) - to buy or rent

choche

Jun 30, 2021
Catalina Capri 22 Burlington
I'm looking for a used trailer for a Capri 22 wing keel version. I'm located in Ontario Canada, need a trailer to move my boat from Ottawa to Toronto.

My boat is currently on a trailer, but this has been mainly used for storing the boat in winter. Attaching some pictures to get your opinion on my options. I'm thinking of renting or buying a used trailer to take it to Toronto.

Attachments

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum!!

Some options come to mind: 1) use your existing trailer (might require servicing), 2) do an internet search on "used boat trailer near Ontario, Canada" like Tandem Boat Trailer | Boat Parts, Trailers & Accessories | London | Kijiji for $1500, Kawartha Marine Boat Wreckers & Recycling | Free Intact Boat Removal Boat (kawarthaboatwrecking.com) AND New & Used Parts and Trailers for sale in New York - Boat Trader ; Once you find one long enough that can support the weight and with tandem axels modify it with some fit up and welding to fit your Catalina 22, 3) go to Marine Cradle Shop - Trailers & Cradles, Boat, Boat Trailers, Marine Equipment, Custom Trailers, Snowmobile & Motorcycle Trailers, Boat Cradles, Snowmobile, Motorcycle, Sutton West, Toronto, Ontario (cradleridetrailers.com) OR 4) hire a sailboat transporter.

Last edited:

choche

Jun 30, 2021
Welcome to the forum!!

Some options come to mind: 1) use your existing trailer (might require servicing), 2) do an internet search on "used boat trailer near Ontario, Canada" like Tandem Boat Trailer | Boat Parts, Trailers & Accessories | London | Kijiji for $1500, Kawartha Marine Boat Wreckers & Recycling | Free Intact Boat Removal Boat (kawarthaboatwrecking.com) AND New & Used Parts and Trailers for sale in New York - Boat Trader ; Once you find one long enough that can support the weight and with tandem axels modify it with some fit up and welding to fit your Catalina 22, 3) go to Marine Cradle Shop - Trailers & Cradles, Boat, Boat Trailers, Marine Equipment, Custom Trailers, Snowmobile & Motorcycle Trailers, Boat Cradles, Snowmobile, Motorcycle, Sutton West, Toronto, Ontario (cradleridetrailers.com) OR 4) hire a sailboat transporter.
Hi sail sfbay, thanks for the very helpful links.

I already explored options 3 and 4 but they are expensive for the value of the boat.

I also think option 1, is the most immediate and cheap, but I lack the experience and contact to do make sure everything is correct. I serviced bearing on the trailer and the lights already. My main concern are: there is no winch or bow eye attachment, seems like the keel (see picture) is not supporting properly the weight of the boat. I need the help of a person that know how to place saiboat in trailer’s appropriate and securely.

If I can find someone to check/install/adjust these things I might be good with current trailer.

If you have some recommendation on who can help me with this it would be amazing.

Jose
iOS Image - 289185307.jpg
iOS Image - 108767675.jpg
iOS Image - 1608862255.jpg

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I would look into a local trailer shop modifying your existing trailer. Aka maybe new axles and wheels ?

Finding a trailer that fits a c22 capri wing keel without modification, will be very difficult.

Another option is to find someone nearby that has their C22 capri wing keel in a marina for the summer and will rent you their trailer.

choche

Jun 30, 2021
I would look into a local trailer shop modifying your existing trailer. Aka maybe new axles and wheels ?

Finding a trailer that fits a c22 capri wing keel without modification, will be very difficult.

Another option is to find someone nearby that has their C22 capri wing keel in a marina for the summer and will rent you their trailer.
Thanks Leeward Rail, I will try to contact local marinas to see if any of local Capri 22 can rent me their trailer for few days

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Load range of the tires?

How many supports on each bunk board?

Brakes?

Installation of a bow eye is a must!

Lengthen winch stand post!

Insert piece of wood in keel tray for so keel will not move is a must!

Advise please

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
If you do go the new trailer route for Catalina and Capri trailers , they were designed by Ron Frisosky (deceased) representing Precision Trailers. That company is long gone but Road King Trailers out of Asheville, NC has those plans. Ask for Phyllis. Long story but Ron went to Road King trailers afterwards.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
That trailer looks substantial enough for the job assuming it is in decent shape. No brakes is a small concern for the weight involved. I imagine the trailer weighs pretty close to the weight of the boat so using anything less than a full size truck might be an issue.

Repack the bearings replace if any wear is showing on them get new larger tires and a bunch of straps and I think you'd be fine.

Another option is to flatbed the whole contraption.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@Rick Webb

Would you assist me on this one. First poster regarding new trailer has been sent to right person. He will find out it will take time and expensive. He will probably take it to a trailer repair for modification. We are messaging each other but am waiting responses to my earlier post. I know where and who can produce that trailer and will advise later. I learned a lot about trailer designs from one designer, Ron Frisosky, well respected in the industry but he is now deceased

choche

Jun 30, 2021
Load range of the tires?

How many supports on each bunk board?

Brakes?

Installation of a bow eye is a must!

Lengthen winch stand post!

Insert a piece of wood in keel tray for so keel will not move is a must!

Advise please
@Crazy Dave Condon
Tires are Max load are 915 LBS each
No brakes
There are 4 stands posts with pads in each of them