Tragic boat sinking on 4th of July

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
I am going to guess, too top heavy, it a turned and flipped over

27people is a lot of people on any 34' boat.

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
Too many people, boat hits wake and lists, people are forced to one side, boat rolls. Pretty easy to imagine.

A terrible tragedy. Completely unnecessary. I feel for the families of the victims but I am sure the skipper and some parents should be held accountable.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
What a sad way to end a holiday.

May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas
And a sad way to ruin many others holiday experience as well. How many will stay off the water the rest of their lives after witnessing something so tragic and stupid. Only takes one idiot to effect 100's of others lives in a negative way.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
My Nephew managed to very nearly kill himself in a motor vehicle accident in late May. He is scheduled to start rehab next week. It has taken this long to repair the damage enough that he will probably continue to live. One of my sisters friends was very vocal in her prayers for my nephew and very irritated because she was delayed on the Interstate because of a personal injury accident. Some people see a tragedy when a family member or friend is hurt and an inconverience and bother when it is a stranger. Everybody that was on the boat involved must be going through some terrible mental anguish.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I think the Captain failed to understand the effects of loose uncontrolled weigh on a floating craft. Commercial small tour boat Captains know the importance of keeping all passangers sat down and in position while the boat is moving. They do not need people getting up and rushing to one side because someone spotted a marine life form. That is why they will scold anyone that gets up, they do not want everybody thinking they could do the same and them loose their control of the crowd. Sorry for the kids, their parents and the Captain.

Bob J.

Apr 14, 2009
Sabre 28 NH
>The police were investigating whether the 34-foot yacht, one of more than 100 boats >on the water after dark on the holiday, had been overcrowded or if the weather or a >wake from a nearby boat could have been a factor.

27 people that lived & they're investigating whether the boat was overcrowded. You have got to be kidding me.

It's a crying shame that 3 young people lost their lives because of the stupid factor not only on the part of the captain but also the kids parents....

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
2 1/2 tons of movable cargo on the deck of a 34 foot sail boat? I don't think that would be wise.

Oct 18, 2007
Macgregor 26S Lucama, NC
Was it a sailboat? I read the article and saw the TV report, and have not seen any kind of boat listed... -Paul

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
34' silverton.

What pains me the most when i think about it is that the owner/captain lost his own daughter. How he will live with that is something as a father of a little girl that i could never imagine.

Im sure they will be sending him to jail for this on top of the horrendous remorse he must already feel for this awful mistake.

Dec 30, 2009
jeanneau 38 gin fizz sloop Summer- Keyport Yacht Club, Raritan Bay, NJ, Winter Viking Marina Verplanck, NY
It was reported to be a 34' silverton, this boat has an upper steering station and is already topheavy...Red

Kordie

Aug 7, 2011
Beneteau 393 Cruising Baja
Paul Brinkley said:
Was it a sailboat? I read the article and saw the TV report, and have not seen any kind of boat listed... -Paul
I used to be confused by the term yacht. I thought it referred to sailboats.

But I was taught that it actually refers to any privately owned recreational vessel. Like the Royal Yacht Britannia which has never hoisted a sail.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
On the news tonight the skipper is blaming a "rogue" wave. I wonder why some people simply can't say, "I screwed up". ?

Apr 8, 2010
Frers 33 41426 Westport, CT
I read a report in a local paper from an eye witnesses that said the vessel was underway heading toward the eyewitnesses vessel when they shined a spotlight at the silverton to warn them to steer clear of them. The silverton then turned sharply and capsized in the process.

Sep 25, 2008
CS 30 Toronto
Top heavy, turn too quick and may be against it's own wake will heel the boat. Too many people rush to one side on the top deck is not a good thing for such a top heavy boat.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Top heavy, turn too quick and may be against it's own wake will heel the boat. Too many people rush to one side on the top deck is not a good thing for such a top heavy boat.
27 people on one of these......:eek: Very sad but I suspect our good friend Darwin is smiling........

10 -12 is a lot but 27.............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:doh:

But lets not forget this kind of stupidity is not limited to just power boaters.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Too many people, boat hits wake and lists, people are forced to one side, boat rolls. Pretty easy to imagine.

A terrible tragedy. Completely unnecessary. I feel for the families of the victims but I am sure the skipper and some parents should be held accountable.

Absolutley..... no question.

I feel deeply for the 3 young children that lost their lives due to others stupidity. Those that have the repsonsibility for their safety, that should have known better than to overload a boat to the point of being severley unsafe. As much as the person(s) responsible will have to live with for the rest of their lives, they also should be charged to the fullest extent of the law.

Sorry for preaching ( but not apologizing ) but it really gets me when children lose their lives due to adult stupidity. :cussing:

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
27 people on one of these......:eek: Very sad but I suspect our good friend Darwin is smiling........

Except that, those that lost their lives had no control whatsoever of their fate. They did not have any say on whether they boarded the boat or not. They were taken along for the ride by "adults" that were responsible for their care and safekeeping. This was not Darwin but reckless endangerment. The stupid ones are still alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.