Tragic boat sinking on 4th of July

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 6, 2009
Newport Newport 28 MKII Jacksonville, FL
The passenger capacity plates on all six of my ski boats (different major brands) were mounted on the stern, directly behind the portable 6 gallon gas tanks. I can guarantee no one could see them or gave a crap about them when boarding. They trusted me to make sure the boats were not overloaded and I did. Fast forward 15 years and I had a house full of relatives down for my Dad's funeral that wanted to go sailing on my Newport 28, which has no capacity plaque. Nine of us. As soon as I motored out of the marina and made the first turn, I knew we were too overweight and top heavy, even with a 3,500# keel. I made a wide slow turn and went right back to the slip. Just didn't like the way it felt. Split the crew up for two trips and had a great afternoon. My responsibility, not the manufacturer, coast guard, Florida marine patrol or the broker. I just wasn't thinking about the weight limits, just getting everyone's mind off the funeral. No excuse, it was my fault and could have been a disaster.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Nancy and I were out in a 15 foot Grumman canoe when we were passed by a powerboat dragging a very large wake. I immediately told Nancy to sit on the bottom and to get off the seat and I did the same. It lowered our CG and we rolled with the wave but had no fear of being swamped.

Oct 6, 2011
CM 32 USA
Steve Walsh said:
The passenger capacity plates on all six of my ski boats (different major brands) were mounted on the stern, directly behind the portable 6 gallon gas tanks. I can guarantee no one could see them or gave a crap about them when boarding. They trusted me to make sure the boats were not overloaded and I did. Fast forward 15 years and I had a house full of relatives down for my Dad's funeral that wanted to go sailing on my Newport 28, which has no capacity plaque. Nine of us. As soon as I motored out of the marina and made the first turn, I knew we were too overweight and top heavy, even with a 3,500# keel. I made a wide slow turn and went right back to the slip. Just didn't like the way it felt. Split the crew up for two trips and had a great afternoon. My responsibility, not the manufacturer, coast guard, Florida marine patrol or the broker. I just wasn't thinking about the weight limits, just getting everyone's mind off the funeral. No excuse, it was my fault and could have been a disaster.
Thank you for being responsible. Sorry about your loss. How did you pull yourself together enough to go sailing? When my Mother died, I could hardly get dressed by myself for months.

Oct 6, 2011
CM 32 USA
RobertLangdirect said:
Air bags, built into the boat, cross wired so a wave on any one side would not deploy them, but if sinking, water pressure sets off the bags.

What a solution. All parts exists. Only adds a few thousand dollars to the yacht but think of the lives it will save.
Good idea. When is a boat too small to mandate use? When is it too large?

Dec 8, 2007
-mac 26M -26M tucson-san carlos mx
yea, lets get congress to pass a law requiring them on all boats,it will only increase boat prices by 20%.and will help the job creators get richer. NOT. to bad the kids died instead of the boat driver and their parents,but thats life.you cant legislate stupid out of people.

Status
Not open for further replies.