Tongue Extensions

Jul 12, 2022
precision precision 18 chowan
tubing wall thickness will need to be stronger than necessarily thought for. There is a You tube video that shows an extension that was too light. Gentleman used a floor jack to see if he could lift the 3rd wheel off the ground.....his extension tubing bowed and bent under the load. Had he just used thicker walled tubing it probably would have held just fine. g'luck and let us know how it turns out

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
Gentleman used a floor jack to see if he could lift the 3rd wheel off the ground.....his extension tubing bowed and bent under the load.
Something's off, there. If you apply load to the tongue between the hitch and the point where the tongue attaches to the frame, then the bending load on the tongue is less than the normal bending load from the hitch. He must have done something else wrong. Maybe he forgot to decouple the hitch?

Anyway, yes, as I mentioned I'm doing a load and stress analysis to ensure the tubing is strong enough.

Dec 13, 2022
Victoria Victoria 18 Lavon
I purchased an 18 foot Victoria which came on a Magic tilt trailer with a tongue extension (not sure if it was OEM or not) but the extension disappeared while parked in the yard.

Fortunately the previous owner had sent me some pictures of the boat/trailer and one of them showed the extension so I had a local guy weld up a replacement for me.

Original from PO

tongue-extension-cropped.jpg

My replacement

extension1.jpg
extension2.jpg
extension3.jpg

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
That's a really interesting extension, @B-O-B'03 , I've never seen one like that before. Thanks for the idea!

Dec 13, 2022
Victoria Victoria 18 Lavon
Hi Tedd,

It is really simple to use, put the extension ball in the trailer coupler, slip the rear of the extension up the trailer tongue and put the pin through the lower hole to secure it.

Looking at the new one I could have had them build it with smaller square tubing and possibly a lighter gauge, it is definitely beefier than the original.

-Brian

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Hi Tedd,

It is really simple to use, put the extension ball in the trailer coupler, slip the rear of the extension up the trailer tongue and put the pin through the lower hole to secure it.

Looking at the new one I could have had them build it with smaller square tubing and possibly a lighter gauge, it is definitely beefier than the original.

-Brian
That could also double as a winch mount to step the mast with minimal modifications