Tongue Extensions

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
My trailer has a very short extension capability--just a couple of feet. I'm planning to modify it for more extension. Yes, I will do a proper analysis with load and stress calculations. But, as a kind of sanity check, I'm interested in some of the dimensions of other people's trailers. Specifically, the dimensions in the sketch below. No need to be super accurate, I'm just trying to get a gut feel for what's out there, at this point.
tmp.png

If you can give me DIM C in both the extended and retracted positions, that would be great.

Also, it would help to know the material dimensions. I assume everyone's tongue is steel. My tongue tubes are steel, 3.5" x 1/8" wall square for the outer tube and 3.0" x 0.146" wall square for the inner tube.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Since you can do the load and stress calculations, suggest designing it from first principles (as a chemical and structural engineer that was my approach) then submit the load and stress calculations to an independent structural engineer's review and stamp, if required. Alternatively, with a tape measure and calipher find similar trailers and measure for an indicative idea of the dimensions for reference only OR have your local trailer shop design and fabricat one for you. The latter is what I did for my tandem waterski boat trailer.

Last edited:

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
Thanks, @sail sfbay . I do have a design strategy in mind, thanks. That design strategy includes gathering data on existing designs which, as you say, could be done by spending a few days driving around to local marinas looking for the occasional trailer that I might find that has an extension, and taking measurements. But, you know, social media and all that, I thought maybe I might find some helpful people on this forum, instead.

Feb 21, 2013
As a design engineer do not rely on other designs. Design your own that you know is safe.

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
Here is my extension in case it helps. It has a sliding bar with its own hitch. It slides through sleeves welded to the trailer. I usually leave put the extension through all the sleeves which keeps my tires out of the water at my ramp. At the longest setting using only two sleeves, it can bottom out at the high spot between the ramp approach and the ramp.
20221009_083402.jpg
20221009_083446.jpg
20221009_083527.jpg

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
Fantastic, @JBP-PA . I like the idea of a separate extension, especially since I have surge brakes and a separate extension would mean not having to modify the surge brake system.

It looks like you're extended out about 7 or 8 feet when it's fully extended, is that about right?

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
The bar is 10 ft, but some of it must remain in the sleeves, if I use all three sleeves, about 5 ft is out. If I only use the last two then a bit more than 7ft. Fully retracted, the extension hitch is well behind the main hitch so as not to interfere, so maybe another foot less.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
My H25.5 extention that I built was 13 feet long total with its own hitch. It had a wheel near the the trailer hitch. I used this extention to raise the mast aswell.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
The tongue extension I built has the following dims:
A=~9'6"
B=10'
C=7-8'
D=2-3' (assuming this is the measurement of the extended extension, not the trailer)

The boat and trailer are estimated at 7500 lbs. I used 1/8" steel tubing and 1/2" bolts as pins. When in doubt, I went with the stronger option

Feb 21, 2013
Suggest sharing with the forum your design and how your stress and load calculations factored into it. No need to over design, albeit you would not want to under design it.

Consider a swing tongue extension .......this is what I designed for my tandem waterski boat trailer to allow the trailer to fit in my garage.

Last edited:

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
@SycloneDriver ,

After seeing your photos, I'm glad I have a swing keel! That extendable crane is quite the structure.

With that trailer extension, can you get the trailer far enough into the water to float the boat on? That would be impressive. The ramp must go pretty far into the water.

Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
@Tedd ,

I used part of the original bow stop for the crane. It made stepping the mast so much easier!

With the trailer extension and the long ramp we easily float the boat on and off the trailer. The entire process was not without challenges though.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I used part of the original bow stop for the crane. It made stepping the mast so much easier!
Mine is nearly the same design. A straight piece of steel tubing that slides into the bow stop with an electric winch attached. This setup allows the mast to be stepped while the boats on the trailer and with the boat tied up perpendicular with the shore. I think I'd go for an aluminum tube next time. At 14' long, it's a pain to get it into the bow stop

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
@Tedd check out this thread. I along with a number of other trailer sailors came up with solutions that work for us. Been years now and my tongue extension still works great.

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
Thanks, @LakeShark ! I like the very first idea in the thread. My trailer has surge brakes which presents a challenge for the telescoping extension I've had in mind. But a detachable extension would solve that problem.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Disappointed ... I thought that this was going to be a KISS discussion
1665685828559.png