Tohatsu Sailpro Review/Log

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Run 100% gas, no ethanol. I always disconnect the fuel line from the motor and let it run till all the fuel is burned up at the end of the day. Usually this happens in the time it takes me to clean up and secure the boat before leaving.

I'm not sure you need a rebuild kit with you all the time if you follow the above. I had the 6hp short shaft on my small jon boat for a couple of years and I just pulled the card and would submerge it in carb clean in a cup for a few days to clean it and that worked just fine.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Sounds like your set with the plug, impeller, and a fuel hose connection end. I carry the plug, and fuel line end with mine but no impeller as I trailer sail so it's easier to change at home. One word of advice is turn the motor 90 deg before tilting up to prevent breaking off the fuel line connector. Also take note which side of the motor needs to be up if you lay it on the side. It's a great motor!

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I haven't heard anyone mention rubber hub kits. Nor have I seen them for sale. Has no one ever spun a prop on one of these motors??

No repairs yet. Bought the motor March 2014. I carry an impeller, a spark plug, a pull rope, and a fuel line fitting.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Paupack, PA
Got it last year, cheap enough, no tax. Bought two and stashed one below. Ok, we didn't do that. Good thread, good luck!

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
Thanks everyone for the advice. It's time to order a few spares, but not quite as many as I feared.

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
I know it's an old thread but good info...

Is this the fuel connector end that it's recommended to carry a spare?
That looks like it matches the Tohatsu part number (394-70250-0 / 3GR702500M), but maybe from a different manufacturer. The genuine Tohatsu part is at 3GR702500M Fuel Conn Engine Side Female 4 Stroke 4-30 3GR702500M Fuel Conn Engine Side Female 4 Stroke 4-30 - www.tohatsu.us (they also carry impellers, carb kits, the flush adapter, and all the other bits you might want to have around).

I had a fuel line crack once (original from the PO, and too much time in UV, I suppose). After that, I made two fuel lines (with the Tohatsu connector and appropriate end for my tank) and carry a spare buried in the V-berth locker (But then, I told you I was paranoid :)).

Lazy1

Aug 23, 2019
Catalina 22 13425 A driveway in Pittsburgh
Thanks, I wasn't sure if the recommended spare was the hose side or the motor side of the connection.

BTW: I motored for about 25 miles at ~4-5kts and could barely tell it used gas from the 3 gal tank.

Last edited:

gtg

Sep 12, 2019
Catalina, Hobbie 22, 16 Windycrest
So I purchased a propane model.... it does not start for women. There is a diaphragm that I cannot over come. I broke it in on land, then no start just backfires/sputters. This engine now has its own webpage. The two qualified boat shops I have taken it to works fine for them. Men have more pull effort? Im not kidding. Videos to prove it. It now on dry land, when I start it, its not running at a high rpm, its slower then eventually back or sputters out. My husband starts it, just like the shops, runs high and loud till it warms up then it settles down as it should. 6 months old and selling with my warranty.
I really want a tohatsu motor, guess I'll go gas or 8hp electric sounds neat.

Lazy1

Aug 23, 2019
Catalina 22 13425 A driveway in Pittsburgh
Tohatsu Stay-put
I read on some forum that over tightening the friction knob can damage the friction ring and cause other problems, apparently it's not to keep the motor from turning completely. Some para-cord and a couple 3/8" quick pins solved problem.

IMG_20200705_153125.jpg

• Helpful
Sep 21, 2020
Precision 18 Lake Norman, NC
I used the locking plate plus quick release pins:
Hi, did you buy it like that or did you modify it with the locking pins? The no-locking problem is something I need to solve, but I would hate not having the ability to steer with the tiller if I needed it.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
So is that locking plate available somewhere or did you make it.

Sep 17, 2022
West Wight Potter WWP 19 Bronte Harbour
Picked one up yesterday and doing the breaking in for an hour. My 1st impression is the outboard fit and finish is s***. Big mismatch between units and paint is already coming off. How it runs, don't know yet.

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
i bought a couple of these wash out adapters worth their weight in gold Jlp flush kit easier to flush warning though only run engine at idle.

Sep 14, 2014
Sail pro is great, mine is 2015, never a problem, run it dry with remote fuel unplugged at dock after sail. Location of shifter at front beats hell out of all the outboards used over 40 years with side mounted shifters hard to reach when motor down to run. Alternator is great, only had one problem last year with choke control sticking, lubing it solved and no problems since. Starts on 2nd and sometimes first pull. Long shaft never cavitates. Even in rough water up wind never much run beyond half throttle, fuel use low even then.

Sep 14, 2014
By the way for rinsing, my dealer put a rubber tube from the flush inlet below the cowl terminating in a regular hose fitting with a cap, much easier to flush then flaps or bucket. See on pix closeup. White cap in black connector.
V New tohatsu OB Aux (3).JPG