Tohatsu 6hp Sail Pro Issues

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
That's what I'm thinking.

By the way, let me stress that this was taken AFTER I admittedly did overdo it a little, greasing the neck. My bad. I took it apart and degreased everything ... who knows. We've been cruising around with it like this for three years. LOL

I don't want to leave it this way forever though. I just ordered all new stuff. Hopefully I'll get another shot at gettin the friction on. :)

P100D

Jul 24, 2016
Hunter 23 Nashville TN Percy Priest lake
I noticed I had play like that too on my 4hp long shaft. I haven't had the time to take it apart yet too see what the issue is. Let us know what you find.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I noticed I had play like that too on my 4hp long shaft. I haven't had the time to take it apart yet too see what the issue is. Let us know what you find.

Will do. The parts are on my desk, but one of the clamp screws on the motor is seized up. Waiting (hoping) for PB Blaster to free it.

Jul 28, 2018
Catalina 22 TX
Back to the locking adapter: Looking at the photos on Tom Lipp's Blog it seems like the plate could be attached with a quick-release pin or two. An extra hole and line could be used to hold it captive to the motor handle or boat.

While that wouldn't make for an instantaneous release, perhaps no tools would be needed: Pull the pin, slide the lock out, and let it drop. Maybe when the motor is running there's too much friction to easily pull the lock out. I guess I'll have to try it.

Mar 2, 2018
Catalina Wing Keel San Diego
Hi out there. Anyone with a 6hp Tohatsu sail pro I have a question. In a following sea with swell my motor cuts out. Always restarts though. Any ideas why. Tohatsu seems to think it is a Idle/ gas mixture adjustment issue. Please help, thanks

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Tohatsu seems to think it is a Idle/ gas mixture adjustment issue. Please help, thanks
The only adjustment you have is the idle speed adjustment, but if you raise the idle speed you will make shifting from forward to reverse difficult. The mixture is entirely controlled by correct fixed carb jets in clean condition, no fuel contaminants.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
The little Tohatsu motorss run pretty lean. There is a spot where they transition from the slow jet to the fast jet that is especially bad. Any small amount of buildup inside either jet will cause the motor to stumble in this RPM range. Keeping the carb spotlessly clean is your first line of defense. Moving the throttle quickly past that RPM range is your second line of defense. I have been tempted to tear into that little carb & add a few thousandths to the bore diameter of the slow jet, but I haven't gone that far yet. I am pretty sure that if I did that, the motor would become much more user friendly, at the expense of a small amount of fuel economy & some added emissions.

The balance of priority that is given to emissions compared to boating safety is disturbing to me. A motor that quits at an inopportune moment can be a very dangerous thing. It can do significant harm to both people & property.

Mar 2, 2018
Thanks JiminPB. They did talk about the deferent jets. This always happens at full throttle motoring in a fulling sea. If I angle 10 to 30 degrees from the swells it doesn't happen.

Aug 22, 2017
That is probably something totally different from what I was talking about. I am curious if water rushing in from behind might be overwhelming the torque capacity of the motor & stalling it mechanically. That sounds like a stretch though. I would really need to see it happening to develop an opinion that I would have any real faith in.

Sorry that I'm not more help here.

Mar 2, 2018
That is an interesting thought about being overwhelmed .
It had an issue of going from idling to full throttle where it would stall out as well like you are saying but adjusting the idle/gas flow fixed that. Tohatsu said it needed to be adjusted to 1300rpms with a tac meter for idle/gas mixture so I took it back to the dealer. We will see how it go's

Aug 22, 2017
Please post your results. I am always interested to learn more about those little motors.

Thanks,
Jim

Jul 28, 2018
Catalina 22 TX
There IS an optional lock for the motor that is bolted into place, but many sailors don't want to lose the ability to steer the motor, so they don't buy/use one.
Here's my solution, using the offical lock but not bolting it in place. The pin and plate are both tied to the engine. I will use tape or heat shrink to keep the pin from rattling, and I need a shorter pin. The label is for whomever takes the helm when I fall overboard.
ScreenShot.png

Mar 2, 2018
Very interesting. Thanks
I finally may have figured out why my motor stalls out while in rough following seas. I need to keep my hand on the throttle/tiller when in those conditions to be able to micro adjust the gas mixture so it doesn't stall out.

P100D

Jul 24, 2016
Hunter 23 Nashville TN Percy Priest lake
Took apart my 4hp Tahatsu for the no friction on the steering problem. Real simple problem easily fixed. The tensioner Tang broke off. I welded mine back but you can purchase these at a reasonable price as well.

Attachments

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
RL question does your motor cavitate in rough seas, like having a short shaft engine on a high mount? That will cause the stall if motor overrevs and shuts down.

Mar 2, 2018
Well after owning my Tohatsu 6hp sail pro for 7 months and having it die on me in mostly very bad situation and finally took it back to the dealer to try and resolve the issue. We came to an agreement that they would install a new carburetor because they think thats what the issue is and deliver it to me at my dock. Then take a sea trail with it to see if it works. If it continues to be a problem they will replace it for free. Stay tuned.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
The carb is sensitive to ethanol deposits clogging the jets. My short shaft was a pain when I left gas in it that had ethanol in it until I soaked the carb in a glass jar filled with carb clean. I removed the float bowel cover in the jar and basically left it there for the winter. For my new 6hp ultra long shaft I've only ever run ethanol free gas and always run it dry after I'm tied up at the slip. So far no issues so will see how it goes.