Tohatsu MFS9.9EEPTL too big for H260?

May 30, 2020
Hunter H260 Onamia, MN
I have a 2004 Hunter 260 with an old carbureted engine (Tohatsu 9.8) and would like to upgrade to EFI. I would also like to upgrade to an electric tilt motor since there are a lot of weeds in and around my marina. My worry is that this is adding some additional weight on what appears to be regarded as a weaker point on the boat. I think the weight difference between old and new is something like 82lbs -> 115lbs. The weeds and general shallowness of the inland lake I sail is also the reason I'm looking at the 20" vs 25" shaft.

Am I good to add a MFS9.9EEPTL to the 2004 H260 or is it too much weight?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Seems like the right size for your Hunter 260 based on the consensus in this thread.

Also you might find this thread helpful on selecting the outboard motor size for sailboats based on displacement.

Oct 31, 2012
Hunter 2008 H25 Lake Wabamun
I installed this one on my 2008 H25 and it’s fine. I had to add bit of an extension to the mounting bracket to make room for the hydraulic lift cylinder.

May 30, 2020
Hunter H260 Onamia, MN
Wow! Thanks for the rapid response, much appreciated. Reading through the forums I see that some folks have opted for the 25" shaft. Since we are fair weather sailors on an inland lake (though it is a big one) I'm thinking 20" is the proper length for my use case?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
IslandSouvenir................might consider the posts in this thread on short or long shaft.

May 30, 2020
Hunter H260 Onamia, MN
I’ve read that thread several times but was worried about getting wrapped up in marina weeds. With the tilt capacity I’m adding I think I’ll be fine with the longer shaft. Swapped my order to the 25”. Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Nov 18, 2016
Hunter 260 Lucky Peak, ID
No issues with weight. Our Merc. Bigfoot 9.9 is slightly heavier and has been on the H260 since 2002.

25" for sure. 20" long shaft cavitates a lot.

dano63

Sep 7, 2021
Hunter 260 Alligator Point
I have a 9.9 yamaha xtra long shaft with trim and tilt that should be close to the same weight and it is fine
Based on your post and more research I am getting ready to order the Yamaha T9.9 XPB which has electric tilt and is a 25” shaft. I guess you have the electric tilt? Any issues during install? I have the H260 as well.

Oct 31, 2012
Hunter 2008 H25 Lake Wabamun
Based on your post and more research I am getting ready to order the Yamaha T9.9 XPB which has electric tilt and is a 25” shaft. I guess you have the electric tilt? Any issues during install? I have the H260 as well.
I installed a 9.8 Komatsu with electric tilt in my 2008 H25. The mounting bracket needed to be extended aft an inch or so to accommodate the tilt motor. Not sure if that will be an issue with your H260.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I put the same OB on my 1982 O'day 25. Loved it! The power tilt was well worth the money.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
First the transom is rated max horsepower at 10 hp.
With the older two stroke engines, they are lighter. Generally, the outboard motor brackets are fine as to attachment. On the 26, you can extend the bracket by ordering the brackets from the forum store as the set up on the 260 is the same with those brackets.

with any motor left on the motor bracket (hunter water ballast) during transport, always tie the motor up to the boat to keep it from bouncing up and down to prevent damage to the boat specially the transom.

With the new 4 stroke engines, they are heavier with or without additional gear on it to either to tilt or lift up which creates some issues with the transom. First the retaining bolts are secured into aluminum plates encapsulated in the fiberglass. I would suggest that you install longer ss bolts extruding inside of the boat onto a larger plate to distribute the load securing with two locknuts on each bolt. You eliminate a lot of future issues.

hope this hemps