Larger motor on Hunter 26

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 12, 2008
Hunter 26 Cape Coral
I have a water-ballast Hunter 26 with a Mercury 9.9 outboard. The boat does not reach hull speed under power so I am going to put a larger motor on the boat. Does anyone have personal experience with a 15 or 20 hp outboard motor on the Hunter 26?What speed can you reach under power? I have noticed that the hull is more like a semi-displacement hull than a displacement hull. The bottom is shallow and rounded near the bow and flattens near the stern. In addition, the displacement/length ratio is 175 which makes it a very very light cruising sailboat. I am expecting that the boat will not only achieve hull speed, but will actually exceed it under power. Again, has anyone actually tried this? Thanks

BrianW

Jan 7, 2005
Hunter 26 Guntersville Lake, (AL)
9.9 Should Do It

I'm with Benny. I think it's your prop pitch if your engine is running at the right RPM's. A beat up Johnson 9.9 used to get my H26 up to hull speed of 6.2 knots at 90% throttle. A new Honda 9.9 reaches hull speed at 3/4 throttle. I don't think you will significantly exceed hull speed even with a larger motor. The hull is not really semi-displacement. You'll tear off the transom with an engine large enough to plane her out, even if you empty the water ballast. Then, it becomes very unstable! Rich, you have a great sailboat, don't try to make it into something it is not. BrianW

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
8 HP Should be Plenty

I think you have other issues. Is it too short and your gettting cavitation? I'd also suggest checking the RPMs you get at full throttle maybe change the spark plugs. Otherwise you could have a real dirty bottom or are dragginng somthing. You left the trailer at the ramp right?

G

George

H26 & Hull Speed

How did you calculate the hull speed? How do you measure performance? My 98 Evinrude 9.9 easily pushes my H260 above hull speed (abt 6.4 kts) at 3/4 throttle or less depending on headwind. I agree with the others, you probably need a tune-up or a different prop. Hunter recommends a max 10hp outboard for your boat. Several ressons for this, not the least of which the transom is not built for much more thrust and weight. It is not uncommon to see a 15hp OB used on the H25/260 but there is little difference between the two engines.

Aug 9, 2005
Hunter 28.5 Palm Coast, FL
I wouldn't go more than 15hp tops.

You'll just be adding dead weight to the stern. The Hunter 26 is not a semi planning hull. It's not a Mcgreggor or a Lancer. Also to get the 26 fast enough and balanced, you'd need the big engine (50-60hp) in the centerline of the boat. The only way to get the speed you think you can get is to put on hydrofoils. Which I personally kind of like the idea of... By all means go ahead and try different engines, however, it will be expensive and it will be dangerous. The transom most likely isn't rated for anything more that a 15hp motor tops and your insurance won't cover it. Good Luck.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Soiling, is that fuel consumption upwind or downwind?

My car gives 18 miles to the gallon but the boat I never know. I know my burn rate is 1/2 gph at 2800 rpms and I calculate the range or distance I can travel, on the water, accordying to conditions.

N

Nicky

pushing problem

Hello, before you change the engine see if you can borrow a different propeller and give it a try. I have a 23.5 powered by a Nissan 9.9. The only thing that annoys me in the poor performance in reverse. I changed the stock propeller pitch size 8 to another of pitch 7 and no rake. It also has larger blades. It increased forward thrust significantly and is more economical but in reverse it remained almost the same. If you decide to buy a new prop, I think mercury have reverse thrust propellers, which are well suited for sailboats Nicky

C

crazy

transoms

Everyone can talk about the engines, so I will put my two cents in but there is more. First, no more than a 10 hp as you will reach hull speed. When the bow lifts up, then you are plowing in the water, thus you are slowing down causing waste of fuel in my books. When the original Hunter 26 was designed, it was designed for a 10 hp. The outboard motor bracket and transom were not designed for anything over 10 hp although there is a saftey margin built in. Anyone who tells you to put a 20 hp or more is simply nuts. Even a 15 hp is overpowered and I have seen damage to the transoms on some boats. No more than a 10 hp. I am considered the expert.

Jul 19, 2007
Hunter 26 Brookville Indiana
Wow, cool.

An expert on our forums. What a concept! Of course I assume that CRAZY is speaking "toung in cheek". LOL. But from what I have read, pitch of the prop is the way to go. Horsepower is not the way to solve the problem.

G

George

Experts

Glad to see Crazy Dave return to this forum. He has provided much in the way of advice over the years - if there is an "expert" on the H260 he certainly qualifies.

May 29, 2007
Hunter- 340- Sturgeon Bay, WI
I did this last year

I bought a new outboard last year and a Nissan Long Shaft 10 HP is great. I reach hull speed at about 50-60%. Also- the transome is only rated at 10 HP but more importantly, a much bigger engine wont allow you to turn the engine in the well provided. I already have problems and will probably do the centerboard linkage this year to aleviate.

Status
Not open for further replies.