Today it gets real:

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Looks great bro... I wouldn't worry too much about adding a skim coat of filler. You might be able to get that to sand down flat to the original laminate. The more room for the width of the keel, the better.

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
@CloudDiver : Thanks-- yep not wanting to build up surface as much as trying to smooth out what was a messy blotch of resin and cloth.

And a totally unrelated question: but when you re-did your decks, and especially the hatched original non skid portion --I assume you sanded that gel coat smooth? Wondering also if you took the Gel Coat clean off the surface or just took it flat and faired/primed over as necessary. Struck me yesterday while filling a few holes that I really haven't thought through the deck surfaces.

Sep 8, 2014
@CloudDiver : Thanks-- yep not wanting to build up surface as much as trying to smooth out what was a messy blotch of resin and cloth.

And a totally unrelated question: but when you re-did your decks, and especially the hatched original non skid portion --I assume you sanded that gel coat smooth? Wondering also if you took the Gel Coat clean off the surface or just took it flat and faired/primed over as necessary. Struck me yesterday while filling a few holes that I really haven't thought through the deck surfaces.
Yes, I sanded the nonskid with 60 grit on a 5 inch orbital. You do not need to take it off completely, just get it 'mostly' smooth. The Kiwi-Grip fills really well, and I'll bet there are folks out there who rolled it on without sanding and had no problems, but I didn't want to risk the nonskid pattern showing through. I did prime it but I don't think it is necessary. That kiwi grip bonds like the dickens to just about any surface. I'd give it a good go with a sander and just wipe down with acetone and roll on the kiwi grip, take down the roughest part of the non-skid but its ok if there are still small dimples.

Jul 13, 2015
IMG_1813.JPG
@CloudDiver : secondary and related question to deck prep-- wondering how and if you treated the non skid portion of the cockpit seating and the caps of the coaming? I was staring at the tighter (and seemingly harder to sand) hatched gel coat and thinking about options.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2015
Coat 1 of liquid gold applied. I hate paint so I'm trying to make this as easy on myself as possible -- surely I don't need to roll then tip, ridiculous!?

TIP damnit! Tip until the cows come home!!

Needless to say awlgrip lays down beautifully but it tips really nicely despite my brush stroke fears. Coat one of pearl grey is in the books and I can already see my reflection
IMG_1852.JPG

IMG_1853.JPG

Sep 8, 2014
I sanded all the nonskid completely off in the cockpit and coamings and then primed/painted gloss white everything. If you intend to use kiwi grip you don't have to do that. I will be putting down faux teak SeaDek, it has 3M pressure sensitive adhesive on the back so it likes smooth glossy surfaces better.

Jul 13, 2015
Last AwlGrip topcoat applied to the cockpit floor-- still waiting on the non skid media from SoftSand. Almost seems a shame to muddy up what looked like a swimming pool last night. And since daylight and temperature is starting to wane in the PNW, it's back to the garage and we finally have a foil. I'm losing this weekend to previous commitments but the plan is to have the Keel physically shaped and ready for a test fit before spacing and final barrier coat and paint.

Would still like to target a shakedown splash before the end of the year... we'll see.....

IMG_1864.JPG

IMG_1860.JPG

IMG_1868.JPG

Jul 13, 2015
IMG_1963.JPG
Finally feeling like something is finished-- full disclosure I'm not painting any thing but the horizontal surfaces this season, I had to have a functional cockpit floor and companionway step so it looks like hell-- the point being I have a 2 inch wrap on the finished grey to cut back into when the topsides get painted in earnest.

Used awlgrip with soft sand applied by shaker for the non skid-- really came out nice,and thank goodness I timed the tape pull-- perfect edges.
The soft sand came in a dark grey option which worked well to help indicate how much coverage and overcoat was necessary.
The small bits of grey visible in the pic is the soft sand leftovers from the tape pull which vacuumed up easily

IMG_1987.JPG

IMG_1969.JPG

IMG_1990.JPG

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
I look at this and am reminded of the Mega 30 I almost bought. Seeing the amount of work these repairs are helps me know I made the right decision to take a pass on it.

Jul 13, 2015
It's not much but it's progress: my portion of the PNW broke an all time record for snowfall which has led to scant little work indoors or out for that matter. I did, however; manage to snag a set of handrails I desperately needed and despite what should have been easy-- they came out fairly well.

Pic below shows what someone thought was a good idea for finish-- odd reddish gummy and useless. Rail on the left was post stripping and still not good enough:

File_000.jpeg

I got out the Jabsco and some scotchbrite and got it back to recognizable teak again:

File_000 (1).jpeg

and a first coat of Smiths: Now bring me some warm weather so I can get to work!

File_004.jpeg

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
thicken some micro fibers or colloidal silica
I think Colloidal Silica is not recommended for below the waterline. West makes a high density filler that is for use below the waterline.

Sep 8, 2014
I think Colloidal Silica is not recommended for below the waterline. West makes a high density filler that is for use below the waterline.
You're correct, I have head that same advice as well... BUT, if you think about what colloidal slice is composed of, water will have no effect on it. I think that's a hold-over from when cabosil was the industry equivalent of colloidal silica today. Anyway, there are so may layers of epoxy and epoxy barrier coat over the top of that layer it is reasonable that water would never get to that level. All said and done, I don't disagree, better safe than sorry and use microfibers. I imagine that @pclarksurf has finished the keel fairing by now.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
West makes a high density filler that is for use below the waterline.
Can you elaborate on that at all? I was looking for just such a filler at WM.com last night, and saw nothing with "below waterline" specified. I suppose I could call them?

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Can you elaborate on that at all? I was looking for just such a filler at WM.com last night, and saw nothing with "below waterline" specified. I suppose I could call them?
Gene, call West Systems (not affiliated with West Marine) at 1-866-937-8797. They have a great technical staff, and will be able to answer any question you throw at them.

Or spend some time on their site: http://www.westsystem.com, which has an AMAZING amount of information. I tried a search for below-waterline thickeners, and found one article that indirectly suggested that the colloidal silica would work, but it's best to ask directly.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Thanks SFS. I feel silly for not realizing WS had their own site.

For whatever it's worth, none of the descriptions of their fillers mention anything about use below the waterline, either for or against, as far as I can see.