Time To Move South

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Not often in South Louisiana .. Last one was 7 years ago.. Won't be here overnight, but it is pretty to look at while it lasts.. I'd have loved to get a picture of the boat in the snow but lots of closed bridges between here and there.. On the middle of Lake Pontchartrain this morning, it was blowing 25 mph out of the north at 34F.. not good sailing weather..
IMG_0808.JPG IMG_0814.JPG

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
It happened once in San Antonio that I can remember. A foot of snow came down. Traffic was paralyzed. Flat carport roofs collapsed.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
It happened once in San Antonio that I can remember. A foot of snow came down.
Nice picture on the news today of the Alamo in the snow. Nice Xmas card idea there. Back in '72/73 we drove to New Orleans. Stopped in Birmingham for the night. Next morning we're hearing all these snow reports in the south, but not in central Alabama. A huge number of accidents in New Orleans, something like 500(?), they not being used to driving in the snow. We came down off the Lake Pontchartrain causeway, avoiding the skidders along the way. LO and behold, the grass was not even covered by snow!

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
It has been sleeting, but just started to snow over on MS Gulf Coast.

They let the kids out of school, which gave the parent and teachers an excuse to see snow for the first time in their lives.
Having been through many snow storms, this snow here is now big big flakes.
Oh well not going sailing this weekend... Dang
Jim...

Oct 25, 2011
Island Packet IP31 Lake St. Louis, Montreal
Wow, you guys have more snow than we do, up here in Montreal=. I sure hope its all gone by the time we arrive in Pensacola for a 1 week charter on the 23rd.

Matt

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
It snowed here in Fort Lauderdale once too. It was a day that no one could have imagined. And even when it happened, some people had a hard time believing it. On Jan. 19, 1977 — 40 years ago — it snowed in South Florida. I remember they let us out of school.

sfl-pictures-of-snow-in-florida-in-1977-201701-001.jpg

orl-snow820120119055805.jpg

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Note the small circle on the bollard. There were about 6 brown pelicans hunkered down at the marina.
Poor birds didn't understand what was happening.
I watched them, one by one, flutter their wings to fling off the white snow, hunker back down. Then repeat.

Snow stopped now.
FirstSnow.jpeg

Jim...

PS: The Admiral noted that the snow made our boat look dirty:doh:

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Went to the boat at 6 PM to turn on a heater as overnight temps are predicted to be 26-28 degrees.
Its going to be dangerous for the live-a-boards when that wet snow on the docks turns into ice overnite.
Plan to try to check on things around mid day on Saturday; hopefully, the ice will have melted by then. Definitely will not be sailing this weekend!

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
It has been sleeting, but just started to snow over on MS Gulf Coast.

They let the kids out of school, which gave the parent and teachers an excuse to see snow for the first time in their lives.
Having been through many snow storms, this snow here is now big big flakes.
Oh well not going sailing this weekend... Dang
Jim...
What? No hurricane to go with it?

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I think one is enough for this year.:yikes:
But....

Notice how you were "buckled" in.
Jim...

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
We lose one or two every year on icey docks and decks. They drop in and no one notices until it is too late. Be careful.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
46 in the boat this morning, I had to get topside to check the mooring line to see if we drifted north through the night.

All U Get

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
46 degrees. Boats need diesel heaters. They are wonderful. 33 in the morning 70 in the cabin.